• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Shopping for new SUV

Started by Ta2dResqr, February 25, 2021, 08:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ta2dResqr

I am just starting to look into options for the GF for a daily driver. We have not gone to look in person yet but, it looks like she is leaning towards the Ford Edge (Titanium or Sport/ST).  The current options are Ford Escape, Edge, Explorer or Lincoln MKC, MKX, MKT. Requirements are EcoBoost, Driver Assistance/Safety features (Lane Departure, Adaptive Cruise, etc), Heated/Ventilated seats, and remote start.

Any suggestions as far as must have/must avoid? Tuning availability? 2.0, 2.3, 2.7, or 3.5? I have very little experience with EcoBoost (just got my SHO in December) but love the platform.

Thanks!
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

EcoPowerParts

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

Macgyver

2021 Edge ST. Hands down the most versatile 2 Row SUV out there. HUGE screen. 2.7TT power. It rocks.

I drove just about everything while in COVID SUV wise. My wife and I settled on a 2020 Edge ST.

I recently threw the Banks Power Pedal on the ST and WOW. Huge difference. Couldnt imagine what a tune would do. I tuned my SHO but this is a SUV and I am sure it would rock.

If I had the Money. I would get a BMW X3 with the V6. It drove amazing but they are smallish.

If I was a Yuppie millennial haha. Volvo T5 R-Design XC-40. Not a whole lotta power but fun to drive and smallish.

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: EcoPowerParts on February 25, 2021, 05:06:17 PM
What price range?

She is getting a fairly large settlement from a work accident. Price is not a huge factor. Mainly looking for a reliable, comfortable daily with some tunability (never been a fan of factory tunes done to appease the EPA rather than the life/performance of the vehicle). She is planning to get a Rubicon Unlimited for a toy so there won't be a ton of mods to the FoMoCo DD.
Lucy Ford 2015 Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat Metallic, GearHead AO Performance Tuned - SCT X4, GearHead Intercooler, 3-Bar MAP, EPP Hot Pipes (Plum Crazy), EPP Dual Intake (Plum Crazy), AD Mounts, MSD Coils, JLT Oil Separator, 160 Thermostat, Ortiz Performance Battery Hold Down (Plum Crazy), Hellcat LPFP, 255/45R20 DSW06 Plus, Sync3 Conversion, CYANLabs Syn3, FMods, Jail Broke APIM, Infinity Kappa Speakers, Speaker Baffles, Whelen POV Response Package - (Inner Edge FST, Inner Edge RST, Sidekick, Tracer, LINV2, IONV3, HHS 200W, Howler 200W), Z-Flash, Full LED Swap, Drive Bright DRL Kit, Drive Bright Puddle Light Kit, Ford Sunroof Visor, Window Chrome Delete, OSRAM XENARC Night Breaker Laser, FORScan, OBDLink, Ford Cargo Organizer

ridered74

I test drove a ford explorer platinum and LOVED it. If the pricing of those 3 years ago was a little lower I would have ended up with one of those instead of my 2nd SHO. Only negative to me was gas mileage on them was a little worse than our cars due to the extra weight.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SHOdded

buying new or used? how long are you going to keep it? what is the expected people and cargo duty? Lincolns can generally be had for less than their Ford siblings on the pre-owned market. And weigh your warranty options as well - check out pricing online at lombards, ziegler, flood, and anderson-koch to name a few.

Don't exclude the Flex even tho it is no longer in production, if you like to have the extra room.  Not as snazzy looking as the Edge or Nautilus, but it is quite comfortable AND utilitarian.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Ta2dResqr

Quote from: SHOdded on March 08, 2021, 05:17:21 AM
buying new or used? how long are you going to keep it? what is the expected people and cargo duty? Lincolns can generally be had for less than their Ford siblings on the pre-owned market. And weigh your warranty options as well - check out pricing online at lombards, ziegler, flood, and anderson-koch to name a few.

Don't exclude the Flex even tho it is no longer in production, if you like to have the extra room.  Not as snazzy looking as the Edge or Nautilus, but it is quite comfortable AND utilitarian.

Used for sure. I bought one new car and the initial depreciation is not worth it in my book. We will probably drive it into the ground as I do with most my cars (5-10 years, 150k miles added to existing). Generally it will be a 1 person commuter. May do weekend duty depending on if it is more comfortable than my ride (currently SHO). May end up with 1-2 kids by the time it is done with duty in our family. I am a big fan of the Flex. Her, not so much.

Macgyver

Quote from: Ta2dResqr on March 08, 2021, 08:59:27 AM

Used for sure. I bought one new car and the initial depreciation is not worth it in my book. We will probably drive it into the ground as I do with most my cars (5-10 years, 150k miles added to existing). Generally it will be a 1 person commuter. May do weekend duty depending on if it is more comfortable than my ride (currently SHO). May end up with 1-2 kids by the time it is done with duty in our family. I am a big fan of the Flex. Her, not so much.

I was a fan of the 3.5tt Flex. Wife wasnt either. Edge ST it was.

SHOdded

the wife factor can be quite the "significant" part of the decision, lol.

5-10 year timeline is fine if for the Edge and at most 2 kids.  you will need to stow their gear as it changes thru the years, from diaper bags to sports equipment.  but leaves no room for friends.  capacity and comfort would definitely favor the Flex.  not to mention you could mod it slowly over time as budget allows to keep the look and feel fresh.

or you can look at its' sibling, the Lincoln MKT.  I haven't checked pricing lately on autotrader, but it should be a great fit for your plans as well.

also, if you are not a DIY'r, consider adding in the cost of a Ford Protect PowertrainCare at least.  I like PremiumCare, it was well worth it for me.

Quote from: Ta2dResqr on March 08, 2021, 08:59:27 AM

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!