• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"Engine coolant temperature too high"

Started by tseller, February 15, 2021, 01:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tseller

It was negative 10 degrees F this morning.  I haven't had any issues with the vehicle and all of a sudden I am showing code P1299, P2196 and a dash message saying "engine coolant temperature too high".

No clue what to do.  I have a catch can otherwise completely stock, well and a drop in afe filter.
2017 Black Edge Sport
2017 Black Explorer Platinum

Chris_Flex

Maybe possible your coolant was starting to freeze and slush  up causing it to not flow as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

tseller

Quote from: Chris_Flex on February 15, 2021, 01:39:36 PM
Maybe possible your coolant was starting to freeze and slush  up causing it to not flow as well

I figure it may be a sensor or tstat.  But again, I have had no issues so it seems odd.  I think you're right.

It was just so unbelievably cold this morning.  BUT.... I do also feel this shouldn't be an issue.  My 2011 explorer and 2014 f150 started right up this morning with no issues.

Very discouraging since I JUST got this vehicle.
2017 Black Edge Sport

Chris_Flex

Since you just got it I would be concerned if work was done before in the cooling system and they didn't put the proper mix of coolant that could definitely be your issue, I would look into either doing a drain n fill on your radiator or a coolant flush

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

tseller

Quote from: Chris_Flex on February 15, 2021, 01:57:22 PM
Since you just got it I would be concerned if work was done before in the cooling system and they didn't put the proper mix of coolant that could definitely be your issue, I would look into either doing a drain n fill on your radiator or a coolant flush

Agreed, I think I will do a coolant flush and replace the tstat maybe.  I was on the fence with replacing the tstat for a tune but I might be replacing it anyway now...
2017 Black Edge Sport

tseller

Whelp, had it towed to Ford.  We shall see what they say.
2017 Black Edge Sport

Chris_Flex

Let me know what they say, hope for the best for ya

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

BlueSHO

Subscribed to the cause..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

tseller

Just spoke with Ford and they said it is a faulty coolant sensor.  Fortunately it's covered by warranty, unfortunately it's gonna be end of next week before they get the part.  Just glad the know what the issue was and there are no major problems.
2017 Black Edge Sport

Chris_Flex

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

TopherSho

Quote from: tseller on February 17, 2021, 01:37:38 PM
Just spoke with Ford and they said it is a faulty coolant sensor.  Fortunately it's covered by warranty, unfortunately it's gonna be end of next week before they get the part.  Just glad the know what the issue was and there are no major problems.

I find it odd it only failed AFTER it got damn cold.  I also think it got slushy and that took the sensor out.  have someone check the density .. or get your own refractometer :)
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

always helpful to refer to tsbs and recalls for your make and model on nhtsa.gov.

for example, 2017 explorer
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2017/FORD/EXPLORER/SUV/FWD#recalls
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!