• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

ATP Turbo Failure

Started by autobahn terror, January 23, 2021, 05:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autobahn terror

Ill keep it short, since i was writing a lengthy first post and lost it. Its been a miserably week. One of my ATP turbski's just failed Catastrophically. Only about 50000 miles on it. I smoke screened a large portion of the Auto bahn on Thursday. It failed to the point of the motor losing oil pressure, because it all leaked out of the Center housing into the Exhaust. I just hope i didnt damage the motor. If you all want to know more, like a large detailed background, (as i have had issues with this particular snail from the beginning), let me know and i will attempt to muster up a large post without losing it.
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

Macgyver

Oh now thats too bad. Lets hope that was the extent of the damage.

Keep us posted on any further developments.

TopherSho

Quote from: autobahn terror on January 23, 2021, 05:00:01 AM
Ill keep it short, since i was writing a lengthy first post and lost it. Its been a miserably week. One of my ATP turbski's just failed Catastrophically. Only about 50000 miles on it. I smoke screened a large portion of the Auto bahn on Thursday. It failed to the point of the motor losing oil pressure, because it all leaked out of the Center housing into the Exhaust. I just hope i didnt damage the motor. If you all want to know more, like a large detailed background, (as i have had issues with this particular snail from the beginning), let me know and i will attempt to muster up a large post without losing it.

Nooooooooo ....
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

autobahn terror

Yeah, this is happening at the worst possible time. Lots going on in my personal life.
All that BS aside, i am creating a spreadsheet of possible parts required / wanted. Of course My brain is in over drive / Worst case mode. I need some opinions from you good folks.
Should i replace the entire PCV systems along with the Turbos? I was already experiencing some oil build up on the PCV valve and had been wanting to at least replace that, but now i am thinking about how much oil went through the motor / Intake track. How much of the emissions system got oil soaked, or will get oil soaked after the repairs?
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/v-2014-ford-taurus--sho--3-5l-v6-gas/emission-system--emission-components
Its not to expensive parts wise to replace most of it.. The labor is what kills the wallet after all.
I should know more Monday evening if the mechanic gets around to dropping the oil pan pulling turbo, etc. etc. I fear i am going to have to make an extensive list of actions i want him to do in addition to the basic repair action, such as cleaning all the oil out of the intake system.

I am currently estimating repairs to be around the 10G's area, (I will replace the Down pipes, O2 Sensors, and CAT Back along with the turbos and Blow off Valves and control solenoid). I also need to Have him replace the CV half shafts, drivers side front is a bit noisy, if you do one do them all...
Any input from the Community is welcome, positive or negative...
V/R,
The Terror

2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

autobahn terror

Just got word the motor is dead, the rear Turbo did indeed Grenade itself, pieces of it were in the Oil Pan... New Motor Time.
Any one know if a used 2018 motor fits into a '14 with no fuss?
Should i get ATP turbos again? or go with something else...like Gear Head...

TopherSho

Quote from: autobahn terror on January 26, 2021, 01:34:38 PM
Just got word the motor is dead, the rear Turbo did indeed Grenade itself, pieces of it were in the Oil Pan... New Motor Time.

Damn .. you do not so anything small do you? .. Sorry for the loss! 

As for ATP vs GH .. Is there anything left of the ATP turbo to diagnose?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Macgyver

Well Gearhead does a lot of parts etc so me personally. I would use their turbos. Plus we have all heard good things about their Auto Octane tunes.

Macgyver

So how did the parts/pcs get by the intercooler or is there something I am not thinking of ?

autobahn terror

I have no clue. The only thing i can think of is it went thru the oiling system, because they were in the oil pan and windedge tray. I have some pictures from the inspection, ill post them later. The worst part thou is that when they dropped the pan, it was bone dry. So Bearings are probably toast from Oil starvation as well.
They found the Exhaust turbine wheel in the CAT, along with all the motor oil.
Mechanic is also worried that there could be some metal in the newish Gear Head IC that is in the car...

There still needs to be more inspections done on the car; but that will have to wait till i get all the parts here in Germany.

Quote from: TopherSho on January 26, 2021, 03:23:45 PM

Damn .. you do not so anything small do you? .. Sorry for the loss! 

As for ATP vs GH .. Is there anything left of the ATP turbo to diagnose?
Yeah, the housing is still there... but that rear Turbo is junk now, needs a full rebuild. I am just hoping that ATP will take it back as a Core when i order the new set.
I have been talking with them via email, they offered to send some replacement parts or whatever, but that doesnt really help me. Biggest Problem is they are on Back order due to shipping delays...stupid COVID

Macgyver

Gotcha.

Yeah that IC is toast.

You will probably need everything since the grenade went and seemingly got into everything plus the lack of oil.

That sucks.

autobahn terror

I hope not, havnt looked into the IC yet. Wont be able to until the Majority of the parts get here.

I know that doesnt make sense to most of you, but i am about to PCS down to italy, and i will leave the car with the mechanic in germany. Dude is best in the area, and as such is extremely busy. He is willing to let my oil stain of a SHO sit in his lot until all the lego blocks arrive, so i will do it his way.

Macgyver

Quote from: autobahn terror on January 26, 2021, 04:04:12 PM
I hope not, havnt looked into the IC yet. Wont be able to until the Majority of the parts get here.

If the turbo impellers blew up. Chances are they are in the IC. Not worth spending money on a full rebuild and chance ruining the motor. There could be small pcs of metal somehow getting through the rest of the IC and into the rest of the intake system.

TopherSho

600$ > another rebuild for scored cylinder walls and wrecked rings.   

Hate to say it but I'd go long block with a new IC and all new hard pipes.  just not worth the pain to have tiny flakes of hardened turbo bits flowing into a new motor ..

autobahn terror

Here is what i am thinking currently...This does not include repairing/upgrading the original motor... I dont think there is much in the IC, it was the exhaust side of the turbo that went boom... Ill let you all know when i get the time to look in the IC

Part Name
Part Number
Rough Price
Replacement ATP Turbos
ATP-SHO-001
PPE Catless Down Pipes
Corsa Cat Back Exhaust
255-14315 / 14315
Rear Tie Rods, (Recall Parts)
DE9Z-5A972-K / DG1Z-5A972-J
CV Axels Front + Intermediate Shaft
DG1Z-3B436-E / DG1Z-3B437-F / DG1Z-3A329-E
CV Axels Rear
8A8Z-4K138-A / 8A8Z-4K139-A
Stock O2 Sensors
8F9Z-9F472-H x2 / BA5Z-9G444-A / BH6Z-9G444-A
Wide Band O2 Sensors
30-0300
HP Tuners MPVI2 with 2 Credits
M02-000-02
XDI HP Fuel Pump
XDI-B015-35
Spark Plugs
M-12405-35T
Stock Boost Control Solenoid
BL3Z-9K378-A
Labor
Used 2018 Engine

Shipping

[/RIGHT]
[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [td]

[/td] [/tr]  [/table]