• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

16 Explorer Platinum 3.5 ecoboost P0016

Started by rbrooks, December 20, 2020, 11:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbrooks

Code P0016 showing up, 76k miles check engine is on. I'm here to see who else has experienced this with ecoboost, gone through the process of resolving the issue and what experience you have getting it fixed.

"Crankshaft position camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A. I had the sensor A changed and the code comes right back. I've read a ton this being this a huge problem with this engine. Could be wiring harness, timing chain or the VCT solenoid. Obv last thing I want to do is pay for a timing chain job, considering the VCT solenoid. And I have only had my oil changed at my Ford dealer and all other repairs so it's not my oil viscosity which I have read. Any advice or direction dealing with this first hand would be greatly appreciated!

bamsho

Sounds like the dreaded timing chain, phaser trouble.  Had to replace the timing set on my wife's 07 Edge with the 3.5 non turbo engine.  Had the same codes.  Hope it's not, but sure leaning that way.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Admin

Is there a startup rattle?

Could also be the sensor on bank one as well.

rbrooks

So here's thing with thing with mine vs what I've read on the 3.5 eco with turbo on the explorer and f-150. I have no rattle, no problem starting on cold mornings and have had high teens already, no issue accelerating or driving so whatever.

I really have zero issues minus not being able to use my remote start. I did read on here a timing chain job was done by Ford and had oil pressure issues, acceleration issues, leaks AND the code has come back.

Any thoughts?

rbrooks

Sensor A was changed out, code came right back.

Called Ford Corp, they were clueless. Called the Ford dealer I go to,they were just as clueless. Yeah let me drop 3k to some guys who have never done this job before. I got say this is piss poor, Ford passing the buck, not a manufacturing issue and play it off, "we have never heard of this problem before" LOL. Piss poor on Fords part! 

TopherSho

Jumping in late .. apologies

I think a little more background may help. When does the issue occur?  My 1st though is phasers.  Fords phasers are extremely pressure sensitive. If there is just enough gunk in them they can not flow correctly under some circumstances. 

IE if the engine is run HOT and the issue NEVER occurs when it is good and hot (say for for 30 minutes or so 1800-2500 rpm) then my mind goes straight to phasers, and or solenoid. 

If the issue can still occur HOT,  .. chain stretch .. which is very common when the engine is run at higher rpms more frequently than average.   
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

rbrooks

Knock on wood, I am not experiencing any issues that others have discussed. SUV drives great! After reading I am wondering if it's a solenoid in bank 1 or possibly a PMC sensor? Idk the idea of a ford havn to pull the engine, deal with that set issues and get overcharged by the dealer really isn't sounding to good.

TopherSho

Quote from: rbrooks on December 21, 2020, 09:45:11 PM
Knock on wood, I am not experiencing any issues that others have discussed. SUV drives great! After reading I am wondering if it's a solenoid in bank 1 or possibly a PMC sensor? Idk the idea of a ford havn to pull the engine, deal with that set issues and get overcharged by the dealer really isn't sounding to good.

If it wont throw the code HOT,  it is most likely IMO a gunk/wear issue with the Phasers and or Solenoid .. Both will operate differently when the metal is cold  and has not expanded by a few microns.  Cold Solenoids that are borderline can stick or be slow to actuate .. super common

For the phasers, heat can alter the flow of the oil,  changing the ability to adjust 'fast enough' when cold.  A cold flow issue would lead me to think gunk/varnish in the holes has accumulated possibly from cooking,  or too long of wait between oil changes triggering the warning.

IMO pcm gremlins exist,  but are much rarer these days unless the vehicles seen DEEP water or has been pressure washed to death .. i'd think this less likely but pursue as deemed appropriate ;)  I'm just a dude on the internet :D

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction