• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Bad plugs, bad gas, or clogged cats?

Started by 4eyedconekiller, December 18, 2020, 06:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4eyedconekiller

TopherSho

hmmm the fuel rail dropped into the 1100s,  anyone else non-meth have any input on their fuel rail pressure?  But afr was good.

AFR looks ok on the main display,  but i'd grab a data log of a run from 2nd to 3rd into 4th... need to look at the STFT and and the LTFT and OAR values to limit the chances of a Injector.. it will also show blips if it is sucking in gunk from the IC.

Go from there along with the full fluid run from SHOdded.. I'd also consider checking the PCV to ensure its not full of oil in addition to popping the hoses off the turbos to see if the tubes leak a fair amount of oil... hmm

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

4eyedconekiller

Quote from: TopherSho on January 12, 2021, 10:49:05 PM
hmmm the fuel rail dropped into the 1100s,  anyone else non-meth have any input on their fuel rail pressure?  But afr was good.

AFR looks ok on the main display,  but i'd grab a data log of a run from 2nd to 3rd into 4th... need to look at the STFT and and the LTFT and OAR values to limit the chances of a Injector.. it will also show blips if it is sucking in gunk from the IC.

Go from there along with the full fluid run from SHOdded.. I'd also consider checking the PCV to ensure its not full of oil in addition to popping the hoses off the turbos to see if the tubes leak a fair amount of oil... hmm
I would've thought running an AFR of 10.x seemed a bit fat...

I've never done a data log. Will do some research on best way. Thanks for showing me the values to be mindful of.

Oil change will happen today, so while I'm draining the oil, I'll try and check on everything else I can.

TopherSho

See if you can get the livelink gen ii software up and running on a windows box,  https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/136470-info/346005-downloads

Then we will see if you have a config file on the tuner..  if you do we can easily go from there.

My last non-meth data log shows LAMDA from .82 down to .74.  So seeing it dip into the 10's on the guage is not great not but bad either depending on the signal quality from the O2 sensors.

If we can get the livelink running on a windows box we can easily datalog it and take a look.

Disclaimer : I have no opinion on Bamaperformance,  they had a easy to find datalog instructional without a laptop so i linked it

https://support.bamaperformance.com/hc/en-us/articles/202545589-How-to-Datalog-with-the-Bama-SCT-X4-SF4

go to this section (below) ::  see what config files exist on the device currently.

----
Recording the Datalog
For us to properly datalog your vehicle it is important that we get an idle, step and WOT datalog test. It is advised to save these as their own files to reduce file sizes.  Please click here for instructions How to Datalog Your Vehicle - SUPERCHARGED OWNERS PLEASE DO NOT GO WOT UNLESS INSTRUCTED
----

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

ridered74

Scary as f. 1100 on WOT is no bueno.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

4eyedconekiller

Quote from: ridered74 on January 13, 2021, 10:36:02 PM

Forgive my ignorance... I'm learning a brand new language at this point. I've never owned a DI car, much less a turbo one. Care to share what you mean???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4eyedconekiller

Quote from: TopherSho on January 13, 2021, 03:24:58 PM
See if you can get the livelink gen ii software up and running on a windows box,  https://derivesystems.helpjuice.com/136470-info/346005-downloads

Then we will see if you have a config file on the tuner..  if you do we can easily go from there.

My last non-meth data log shows LAMDA from .82 down to .74.  So seeing it dip into the 10's on the guage is not great not but bad either depending on the signal quality from the O2 sensors.

If we can get the livelink running on a windows box we can easily datalog it and take a look.

Disclaimer : I have no opinion on Bamaperformance,  they had a easy to find datalog instructional without a laptop so i linked it

https://support.bamaperformance.com/hc/en-us/articles/202545589-How-to-Datalog-with-the-Bama-SCT-X4-SF4

go to this section (below) ::  see what config files exist on the device currently.

----
Recording the Datalog
For us to properly datalog your vehicle it is important that we get an idle, step and WOT datalog test. It is advised to save these as their own files to reduce file sizes.  Please click here for instructions How to Datalog Your Vehicle - SUPERCHARGED OWNERS PLEASE DO NOT GO WOT UNLESS INSTRUCTED
----

Thanks for all the information... I'll work on that tomorrow while all the fluids are draining. This is like learning Latin, but I'm all about learning.

I'll get what I can accomplished, and get back to you guys.

Is there a good thread to read up on on some of this???

I appreciate again all the help. I messaged Torrie on FB on the biz page, and all I got was "new plugs and new tune" with a link. Is this his norm????

ridered74

Quote from: 4eyedconekiller on January 13, 2021, 11:22:01 PM
Quote from: ridered74 on January 13, 2021, 10:36:02 PM

Forgive my ignorance... I'm learning a brand new language at this point. I've never owned a DI car, much less a turbo one. Care to share what you mean???

Different tuners have different ideas of what is acceptable for fuel pressure drops, but you won't find a single one (Torie included) that will say 1100 is safe for your motor. If it gets too low you can get starved for fuel creating a lean condition (boom!) or I've also heard it can hang injectors open.

I no longer run a stock high pressure fuel pump, but when I did I would not see under 2K psi during WOT runs. The only time I saw it get low was during the data logging process with Torie when I was using him as my tuner a few years ago. It was a cold day maybe 45-50 degrees out and when he saw the log (I think it dipped to 1400 psi) he said go back to the last tune until it's warmer outside and then you can try this one again.

Seeing 1100 I would not be doing WOT runs at all. Full disclosure tho, I'm a big sissy when it comes to blowing my motor up.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

ridered74

Quote from: 4eyedconekiller on January 13, 2021, 11:36:49 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on January 13, 2021, 03:24:58 PM

----
Recording the Datalog
For us to properly datalog your vehicle it is important that we get an idle, step and WOT datalog test. It is advised to save these as their own files to reduce file sizes.  Please click here for instructions
How to Datalog Your Vehicle - SUPERCHARGED OWNERS PLEASE DO NOT GO WOT UNLESS INSTRUCTED
----

Thanks for all the information... I'll work on that tomorrow while all the fluids are draining. This is like learning Latin, but I'm all about learning.

I'll get what I can accomplished, and get back to you guys.

Is there a good thread to read up on on some of this???

I appreciate again all the help. I messaged Torrie on FB on the biz page, and all I got was "new plugs and new tune" with a link. Is this his norm? ???

He is typically pretty short with his replies, but not many tuners will give any type of support when you are not the original person that purchased the tune.

Most tuners it's about 150 for a new tune which is pretty cheap, so that would probably be the route I would go, just a matter of deciding whether to stick with unleashed or go another route.

There are lots of threads here with helpful information but they are kind of spread out and all over the place. When I was looking for info a few years ago, I would go into the Sho specific subforums and then click on the "views/replies" tab at the top so that it would put the threads with the most action at the top. It isn't the easiest of places to find specific info, but there are tons of threads with great info here.

TopherSho

You may need a 2 bar .. last time i was with Torrie in the ancient days he had be go back to stock for baselines and a health check.

4eyedconekiller

[mention]Riderd74 [/mention] I get it. No one likes working for free. I've zero issue paying for services. I just assumed that he would have more to say. Simple "hey! Welcome to the SHO world. I'm your fantastical tuner, Torrie. Please let me know how I can be of assistance"

Just kidding. I'm contemplating other options, but for now, going to do what I can to diagnose what I can. Seeing that the line pressure was down, and I've heard and read of others having line pressure issues with other tuners, I'm looking to see if it could be a tune issue as well. The fact that I was told by the PO that Torrie couldn't resolve the P0420 and P0430 codes after tune and DP's concerns me. I want the car to run as designed, not ride around with a crapping CEL staring at me, and a semi-luxury car that doesn't perform or heck, even remote start (due to the CEL) when someone has spent thousands of dollars modifying it is a bit frustrating. This ain't my first rodeo, but damn if I'm gonna ride around all jank with what should be a fast, comfortable car.

[mention]TopherSho [/mention] thankfully, I've got a stocker in the car if need be.

I changed engine oil and trans fluid last night, gonna change PTU and see if I can suck oil out of my IC today. Pipes had some oil in them. Wanna get all this sorted out so I can see if I'm gonna go any deeper down this rabbit hole with GH IC, or anything else. Said I would clean it up and ride the hell out of it like it is, but you know how the itch gets worse till it's scratched...

ridered74

Quote from: 4eyedconekiller on January 15, 2021, 12:07:56 PM
[mention]Riderd74 [/mention] I get it. No one likes working for free. I've zero issue paying for services. I just assumed that he would have more to say. Simple "hey! Welcome to the SHO world. I'm your fantastical tuner, Torrie. Please let me know how I can be of assistance"

Just kidding. I'm contemplating other options, but for now, going to do what I can to diagnose what I can. Seeing that the line pressure was down, and I've heard and read of others having line pressure issues with other tuners, I'm looking to see if it could be a tune issue as well. The fact that I was told by the PO that Torrie couldn't resolve the P0420 and P0430 codes after tune and DP's concerns me. I want the car to run as designed, not ride around with a crapping CEL staring at me, and a semi-luxury car that doesn't perform or heck, even remote start (due to the CEL) when someone has spent thousands of dollars modifying it is a bit frustrating. This ain't my first rodeo, but damn if I'm gonna ride around all jank with what should be a fast, comfortable car.

[mention]TopherSho [/mention] thankfully, I've got a stocker in the car if need be.

I changed engine oil and trans fluid last night, gonna change PTU and see if I can suck oil out of my IC today. Pipes had some oil in them. Wanna get all this sorted out so I can see if I'm gonna go any deeper down this rabbit hole with GH IC, or anything else. Said I would clean it up and ride the hell out of it like it is, but you know how the itch gets worse till it's scratched...

Yep that is Torie, a man of extremely limited words. LOL! He is the fastest by far, you can send him a datalog pretty much any time day or night and on weekends, and you'll get a revision in an hour or two with "here you go" or "try this".

Tuners aren't allowed to tune out cat codes like they used to. There was a big crackdown a few years ago on that stuff. You could try replacing the O2 sensors to see if that helps, but I want to say that PPE pipes are the only aftermarket downpipes that don't throw a code. I could be remembering wrong tho.

TopherSho

JUST bought my PPEs 2 weeks ago.. in about 5 more weeks I will be testing that theory IRL //fingers crossed// .. other members have PPE with no need for relocation of O2,  or j tubes or modding the ECU or loops.  PPE themselves said in phone\email i was good to go and no codes should occur.

//fingers still crossed//

they are 49 state complaint + CA so i think it will be ok

TopherSho

hmmm .. I wonder .. have you looked at the StainlessWorks pipes?  is there a loop or J-tube?  Maybe they are no longer operating right.  Contact SW and see if they have any expectations or reports of issues with cat-codes ..

4eyedconekiller

Quote from: ridered74 on January 15, 2021, 12:18:39 PM
Quote from: 4eyedconekiller on January 15, 2021, 12:07:56 PM

Yep that is Torie, a man of extremely limited words. LOL! He is the fastest by far, you can send him a datalog pretty much any time day or night and on weekends, and you'll get a revision in an hour or two with "here you go" or "try this".

Tuners aren't allowed to tune out cat codes like they used to. There was a big crackdown a few years ago on that stuff. You could try replacing the O2 sensors to see if that helps, but I want to say that PPE pipes are the only aftermarket downpipes that don't throw a code. I could be remembering wrong tho.

This is true. I forgot about all that when I started checking around. Doing some shopping around to see what other options there are. One other tuner was at least cordial and offered to help

Quote from: TopherSho on January 15, 2021, 01:05:25 PM
JUST bought my PPEs 2 weeks ago.. in about 5 more weeks I will be testing that theory IRL //fingers crossed// .. other members have PPE with no need for relocation of O2,  or j tubes or modding the ECU or loops.  PPE themselves said in phone\email i was good to go and no codes should occur.

//fingers still crossed//

they are 49 state complaint + CA so i think it will be ok

NICE! I haven't talked to SW yet. I've got some defoulers sitting on the shelf that I might try.

SO, I might've goofed. Pulled the PTU plug, and didn't have my drain pan under neath. Started POURING. I quickly slid my big drain pain over, and let her go. Didn't even think about measuring what came out. It looked HORRIBLE. Gonna let it finish draining, but I've no idea how much drained out, because I was anticipating having to pump it out. Any reason not to add 16-18oz back to it, and hope it's enough???

Can't believe i did that.