• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SCT 4x, Verify that you have returned the vehicle back to stock before updating?

Started by TopherSho, January 19, 2021, 12:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on January 19, 2021, 12:05:45 PM
So.  This scary message .. what is it's exact meaning?

They always recommend that when there is an update to the SCT device. Looks like you have not updated in quite awhile. IMHO if you are NOT experiencing any issues with it, then I wouldn't update it at all.

If you are experiencing issues and have to update, I would absolutely return the car back to stock before updating the SCT X4. Then reload the tune after updating the device.

TopherSho

Yeeeeeh im'a pass on trusting it to revert to stock at this point.  I will call SCT and find out if the unit is dead or not,  I was hoping against hope that with a external backup of my stock tune I could apply this massive update to see if my handheld comes back to life.

.. ty topic closed.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Admin

Quote from: TopherSho on January 19, 2021, 01:26:44 PM
Yeeeeeh im'a pass on trusting it to revert to stock at this point.  I will call SCT and find out if the unit is dead or not,  I was hoping against hope that with a external backup of my stock tune I could apply this massive update to see if my handheld comes back to life.

.. ty topic closed.

SCT can rebuild your stock file from that external backup. They have done that for me before. Just FYI..

TopherSho

TopherSho

Welp Firmware update required. Which is wierd .. but ok,  solved so all good.

For posterity :
I bought a tune from, Gearhead
Before loading the tune from Gearhead I did a SCT Device updater > export stock file backup
I applied the updates from LiveLink it prompted me to install
I applied the updates for the Device Updater it prompted me to install
Then I copied the Gearhead Tune over to the 4x
Then I copied the Config file over after exporting a DLX from LiveLink
Started the car and let it idle to temp
In the car I did a 'return to stock' successfully
Then shut the car off, wait 15 seconds and open and closed the drivers door to shut down the console power.
Applied the tun from Gearhead successfully
Then shut the car off, wait 15 seconds and open and closed the drivers door to shut down the console power.
Started the car and let it idle to temp
hooked up the SCT to check the datalog .. got a fast blinking red\green light on the LED,  the handheld 'froze'
unhook the handheld,  plugged it back in and tried to select 'configure' for the config file.  Same error.  Fast blinking red/green led light
tldr all 'car' related functions fail and lock the handheld up.

Got a call back from SCT,  did a teamviewer troubleshooting run.
On the phone the dealer REP applied 9 FWU files in a specific order.  The handheld FW went from a FW revision of april 2016 to current august 2020.  after that the issue is resolved.

I asked about the scary message and he advised as long as the car 'strategy' and 'tune version' do not change during the FWU upgrades there is nothing to worry about.

He did advised that once upgraded to make a new stock-backup

Macgyver

Yeah the stock backup would be the upmost concern for me.

Glad it all worked out.