• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SCT LiveLink Cyl Misfire PID

Started by Pinball-Mark, December 05, 2020, 06:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinball-Mark

Hey Guys. Got a slight misfire on one of the cylinders 2014 Taurus SHO. I have a SCT livewire and livelink setup on a laptop trying to use it to detect the misfire but cant find the cyclindermisfire PID to data log. Anyone know how to data log cylinder miss fire with live link on these newer cars/live link? I have an old xcal tuner with livelink 6.5 where it was able to data log misfires on my old 97 Taurus SHO, I find it hard to believe I cant do it with the new cars/live link. I believe it was an OBD log. Any ideas? thanks

TopherSho

Welcome!

The biggest issue you will run into with the SHO misfire is that it must be a repetitive misfire to register.  if a plug misses on 1 or 2 revs,  you will feel that 'blip' in your foot, in the steering wheel and in your ass,  but SCT and the datalog will not show it and you wont get a cel.

So the biggest question i have is,  what kind of missfire are you seeing / feeling ?  #1 cause is the FRONT plugs getting gunky,  or wearing their gap out ultra fast if tuned.   These cars are SUPER tolerant up to about 35-thousandth.. you wont have and issue and then all of a sudden there it is.

If you have longer more persistent misfires (30 plus misses consecutively)  it should throw a code.. but if it is coding i'd stop driving and pull the plugs as a first act.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Pinball-Mark

Hello, and thanks! Well, I know it is cylinder 4 since I will get a flashing CEL for cylinder 4. Only under heavy load though. I wanted to use my SCT to see if it would notice the misfire, like I have before on my older SCT, but the individual cylinder misfire are not showing in the list for the cars strategy code . Was wondering if anyone was able to add a custom PID or OBD data monitor for individual cylinder misfire for these cars. There is a total misfire that I logged and it showed a few misfires, but that doesn't tell me what cylinder. My plan was move the cylinder 4 coil to another cylinder and see if the live wire would pick it up. My other option is to put load on it and force a CEL and see if the misfire moved to another cylinder, but I didn't really want to go that route. Ill be be throwing new plugs in it anyway, just wanted to figure out if it was a coil before I bought a new one.

TopherSho

Oh that is a great question,  I'm on a 2010 so i cannot track individual cylinder failure so I will defer to others for that.. Swapping CPs is a great 1st move,  replace the plugs at the same time as you planned and inspect the GAP / crud level on the plugs. 

But side bar .. are you FEELING the misfire-power hiccup?  The wire harness for the SHO's is poorly shielded and can chaff and ground out sending false signals..

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=554.0
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Pinball-Mark

Yea its very noticeable at 80% throttle, Throws a code not long after! I will check harness tho thanks!

TopherSho

Quote from: Pinball-Mark on December 07, 2020, 05:27:44 PM
Yea its very noticeable at 80% throttle, Throws a code not long after! I will check harness tho thanks!

cool,  that, plug swap and coil swap are a great start. 

TopherSho