• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Big money repairs coming up, need advice on cost

Started by Wardog692, October 29, 2020, 11:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardog692

Hey all, been a while since I posted. Things have been on cruise control with the SHO for the past few years, but that's all about to change. I've got a few repairs coming up that I need advice on cost and if I'm mis-diagnosing anything.

First up, timing chain and water pump. I've had a startup rattle for a while now, and at 117k I think it's about time I get that taken care of. Might as well do water pump while they're in there. First quote was $1,600 for both of them. Roughly in the ballpark?

Next is an unexpected one, I noticed a slight wobble in my driver's front wheel both at 80mph and also when I had it in the air. I could shake the wheel slightly with my hands at 12/6 but got no wobble with hands at 3/9. The passenger side had no wobble either way. The shop has "diagnosed" it as a wheel hub, $560 to repair. That seemed high to me. I also notice a very rare steering wheel/column squeak once in a blue moon, not sure if that's related at all. Is there any point to doing both wheel hubs at the same time? Is $560 the right price for one?

Last is one I've been dreading. I plan to change spark plugs and coils this weekend, but I have a suspicion that isn't the root cause of the issue. I've got a hesitation upon acceleration, both from a dead stop and pretty much anything in the low rpm range, it feels dead until it's past 3k. My fear is that it's my rear turbo. I had the front one (and PTU) replaced under warranty at 80k, but the rear is still original. I have no codes, no smoke, and no visible leaks. Am I way off the mark in my assumption? Is this going to be another $2,000 repair?

I appreciate any and all advice/guidance!
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads

TopherSho

1600$ seems a bit low on the cost scale.  I'd double check they are aware they need to pull the motor out for those jobs. 

For the HUB Based on a Tasca\autozone .. it looks like the coats is all tied up in the man hours, and or possible realignment.

https://repairpal.com/estimator/ford/taurus/wheel-hub-assembly-replacement-cost

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Wardog692

Got a 2nd quote in (direct from dealer, expecting expensive but wanted to get an idea), and you're right, $1,600 does seem slightly low. Dealer quoted ~$3,400 for chain/pump/wheel bearing, so about a grand more expensive.

Appreciate the insight!
2010 SHO 402b non PP
BOV VTA w/ K&N Breather Filters
mDesign CAI
35% Tint
BrakePerformance drilled/slotted rotors w/ ceramic pads

MiWiAu

I paid $3400 out of pocket the timing chain and water pump on my Explorer at a Ford dealer.

Had a coworker who had the same thing pop up on his '14 XSport a week after I got mine back. He cleared the code and took it to the dealer for extended warranty inspection, got approved, bought the extended warranty for $2k, then had the timing chain replaced under warranty for the $100 deductible.

Not saying that was morally the right thing to do, though...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
2013 XSport