• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Awd help

Started by 402Sho, October 26, 2020, 12:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

402Sho

It just snowed here in Omaha Nebraska and I took the sho out all summer struggling with traction issues and lighting up the front tires now in the winter time I was on my way to the gas station and on flat ground I pressed the gas and felt all power go to the front and the car was still while the fronts where spinning, then decided to test something my mom has the same awd system in her suv and has the original tires on her car with 50k on them and she could make it into the driveway and I did in fact see her rears spin a tad but when I tried to get into the driveway it just slid backwards while spinning the front it's pretty obvious it's more and likely f*cked to hell and back but I would like some help on where to start I bought this for the awd not to be fwd otherwise would of kept my big hybrid turbo fusion!
2010 Sho non-pp, 93 and e30 tuned by AJP Turbo & Ortiz tuned, EPP Noisemaker Delete Pipe, K&N Drop in filter, 3 inch custom exhaust, livernois catless downpipes, Anthony's Gen 2 Torque mounts, NGK ruthenium spark plugs gapped .026

StealBlueSho

Quote from: 402Sho on October 26, 2020, 12:25:44 AM
It just snowed here in Omaha Nebraska and I took the sho out all summer struggling with traction issues and lighting up the front tires now in the winter time I was on my way to the gas station and on flat ground I pressed the gas and felt all power go to the front and the car was still while the fronts where spinning, then decided to test something my mom has the same awd system in her suv and has the original tires on her car with 50k on them and she could make it into the driveway and I did in fact see her rears spin a tad but when I tried to get into the driveway it just slid backwards while spinning the front it's pretty obvious it's more and likely f*cked to hell and back but I would like some help on where to start I bought this for the awd not to be fwd otherwise would of kept my big hybrid turbo fusion!

Has it done this since you purchased it? Is it under warranty at all? Is it tuned?

If tuned, I would throw it back to stock to verify if something in the tune is causing an issue. VERY UNLIKLEY however odd things have happened. Next would be to get it on a lift, throw it in drive and see if all the wheels spin and if the drive shaft is spinning. Based on historical data, the odds are one of the bearings in the PTU ate itself. Although you generally hear grinding, catching, and odd noises while driving.

nickstewartroc

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on October 26, 2020, 11:11:57 AM
Quote from: 402Sho on October 26, 2020, 12:25:44 AM

Has it done this since you purchased it? Is it under warranty at all? Is it tuned?

If tuned, I would throw it back to stock to verify if something in the tune is causing an issue. VERY UNLIKLEY however odd things have happened. Next would be to get it on a lift, throw it in drive and see if all the wheels spin and if the drive shaft is spinning. Based on historical data, the odds are one of the bearings in the PTU ate itself. Although you generally hear grinding, catching, and odd noises while driving.

Be care if you do put it in drive while up on a lift. I tried it a while back with my Flex (same drivetrain as the SHO) and it was jerking like crazy thanks to advancetrac and traction control trying to kick in
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

StealBlueSho

Better yet, put the car in neutral and manually spin the front wheels with your hands. The rears should spin I believe.

402Sho

Thank you guys imma bring my dads stick bendy camera thing to a transmission shop tomorrow and have them look into the ptu and have them test it on the lift the shop I got recommended was by another tuned e30 meth sho owner here in town so I trust his recommendation on the shop and steal blue it's been broken since I've got the car I've been chasing a traction problem since day one and I was chasing it because my ptu was broken when the old couple I got it from had the car they got it in 2010 new as a 3rd car and drove it 15,556 miles in 10 years I bought it immediately did coolent flush, ptu flush, rdu flush, oil change, new tires and new stock trans torque mount that ended up twisting it self a month later then got the Anthony mounts I thought my traction problem was over with ECS tires on a prepped strip spun then was told my another sho owner I should stop and get it looked at and withen 3 days of that it snowed and I found out the hard way the awd was broken, sorry for the long post just the life of the car a bit
2010 Sho non-pp, 93 and e30 tuned by AJP Turbo & Ortiz tuned, EPP Noisemaker Delete Pipe, K&N Drop in filter, 3 inch custom exhaust, livernois catless downpipes, Anthony's Gen 2 Torque mounts, NGK ruthenium spark plugs gapped .026

402Sho

Also should mention the last time I did my ptu fluid change they told me some metal was stuck to the end but said it was not much and I should be ok and I did some research and saw a few ppl got that and I didn't really think much about it till spinning on a prepped track with summer tires at 27psi and then in the snow with brand new all seasons all around and feeling helpless in the snow since this car weighs so dang much it's hard to get it going in fwd 😅

402Sho

problem found and getting fixed thanks to the two who commented on this thread the shop called me asking how i would go about testing it and i told them your two methods and they had then confirmed what they had found threw there testing and its the ptu where the alxes go in does indeed turn and spin like its supposed to be the output to the center driveline is not spinning at all which makes them belive that the gear ate it self or the bearing is toast. i dont know much about the sho as i thought I did thanks to 802 sho really helping me out. and you guys on here so thanks for all the help but i think its time for the 400+hp sho to return to awd like its supposed to be, i will for SURE be keeping my old ptu and imma send it to a professonal race shop where my friends dad works and have him take a real look at what broke  ;D :chili:

802SHO

Glad it's sorted and not going to break the bank.  I look forward to hearing more about how it failed when then take a look at it.  Interesting as it sounded like you changed the fluid regularly and had it since it had very low mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20