• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Loss of boost following GH intercooler install.

Started by VibraSHO, October 12, 2020, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VibraSHO

A few days ago, I installed the new GH intercooler, the following day, I put in the new tune. I hadn't really gotten on the gas at this point, just normal driving.

Yesterday afternoon I decided on a WOT pull from a stop. I hit the gas and about the time it switched to 2nd gear, I heard a loud metallic bang, like something flew off and hit the side of my engine bay (maybe?). I ended the run immediately and listened, didn't hear anything suspect.

About 2 hours later, I did a 0-60 run and clocked it at 10.23 seconds... I drove right home and grabbed my tablet to check boost. Low and behold it hovered between -14psi to 0psi, never achieving a boost.

I checked all piping and it all seemed secured and the engine remains at about 170 degrees (not sure of IC temp).

I'm praying that it's not blown turbos. Any ideas or troubleshooting I could do to isolate the issue? There are no codes being tripped, so I'm confused.

Edit: also the shift into second and third gear is very rough at WOT.

-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ridered74

I would start with checking the intercooler to throttle body pipe. The clamps on that one are pretty close to the hood, so if that one popped off maybe the clamps smacked the hood. I'd also check the underside of the hood for signs of anything smacking into it recently.

Aside from that, double check every single connection that you touched during intercooler install. I'm sure one of them just didn't get tightened all the way and popped off.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

VibraSHO

Quote from: ridered74 on October 12, 2020, 09:52:15 AM
I would start with checking the intercooler to throttle body pipe. The clamps on that one are pretty close to the hood, so if that one popped off maybe the clamps smacked the hood. I'd also check the underside of the hood for signs of anything smacking into it recently.

Aside from that, double check every single connection that you touched during intercooler install. I'm sure one of them just didn't get tightened all the way and popped off.
Rechecked all connections, I feel pretty stupid. I found the loose connection going to the bottom of the IC. Became clear when I took off the air box to get a grip on the lower connections. For those that have done the IC swap, I must've gotten complacent at the end, the hose clamp wasn't even tightened a little, completely overlooked. . Went for a test drive, cleared the problem and was producing 15psi rather quickly.

Still not sure what the metallic bang was.. could've been coincidence.

Not sure that would make the sound I heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk