• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

October 9, 2020 at Marion County Raceway

Started by ridered74, October 10, 2020, 01:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridered74

This track was like no other track I've been to. It's owned and operated by the sister of the guy that shoots amazing SHO videos. They basically rescued this track like a stray dog, it was destined for being put out of its misery.

The scoreboards are at around the 1/4 mile mark and it's incredibly difficult to tell where the actual finish line is. If you listen to the video just past the scoreboards, that is not my car falling apart. That is debris being kicked up (and lots of it). I would be terrified to go down in an actual fast car, but the have lots of fast cars there and they seem to do it.

The return road has no lighting at all and is barely wide enough for your car and has potholes everywhere.

They also have a different reaction time system than I have ever seen. My first run was .69, second run was .5419 and third was also .5 something. It was driving me crazy all night. They felt like good launches every time. On my way home I was texting the camera guy about how bad my lights were, then he asked me if the tracks I usually go to have .000 as a perfect light. I was like well ya, what else would a perfect light be? He says oh ya here a perfect light is .500 and a red light would be .499, I had never heard of that before or seen it at any track I've been to. Was pretty relieved to find out I didn't all of a sudden suck again on the lights.

Anyways, as back woodsy as this place was, it was probably the best run track that I have been to. The staging lanes were literally packed to the point where you couldn't even get into the lanes until they ran some cars thru, but it was still less than an hour between runs. They constantly kept you updated over the PA to which lanes were running, and the order of who was up next and next after that. They'd tell you when they were about to do track prep and about how long they thought it would take.

The only thing I really did not like was that aside from staging lanes and the return road, there was not a bit of concrete anywhere to be found. Everything was gravel or grass. Having just destroyed a jack at US131 a couple weeks ago by using it on gravel, I did not want to destroy my brand new jack so quickly. I ended up driving down the road to a county maintenance building and using their parking lot to swap my wheels.

This place is so far out in the country that they regularly will run past midnight and nobody complains. If they can fix all the bad parts that they inherited I could see it being one of the best places to run your car in Ohio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A44WohY3L30

Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

ridered74

When I first got there Martin (my favorite cameraman in the world) told me he had to work the staging lanes, so he wasn't going to be videoing. He said he'd try to record me with his cell phone but didn't want to piss anyone off since he was working. I told him don't even bother, I didn't want him getting into any trouble. Had no idea he even got a video, but this was in my inbox when I woke up this morning. Same run as above in the sketchy right lane.

Also the kid in the left lane had his girlfriend in the car with him. Hope he wasn't trying to impress her with how fast his car was. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOhsHIODIJE
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

StealBlueSho

WOW... So I seem to recall hearing tracks where a .500 is a perfect light, but I couldn't tell you from when or where. It does ring a distant bell though...

As far as the track goes.. that is some sketch stuff.. you are gonna bring all that debris back to the start if they are properly prepping the track.. and not knowing when to let off is frustrating as hell.. plus the lack of lighting coming back.. geez.. but hey.. that 11.90 looked like a SOLID run! And maybe its just the way the audio was picked up but your car sounded really really good.. doesn't have that import sound you get with Corsa.