• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Rattling Noise when AC is on

Started by Mml665, October 07, 2020, 09:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mml665

I'm experiencing a rattling noise similar to a loose heat shield. I hear the noise intermittently when the AC is on. It is not a constant noise. Any of the forum members have any insight?

xartic1

Quote from: Mml665 on October 07, 2020, 09:18:14 PM
I'm experiencing a rattling noise similar to a loose heat shield. I hear the noise intermittently when the AC is on. It is not a constant noise. Any of the forum members have any insight?
When I first bought my 14 Explorer Sport in June mine had this rattle noise you are experiencing. I ended up replacing both the tensioner and belt as I was unsure which it was and replacing the belt isn't nearly as easy as a normal longitudinal motor so I figured I'd do both.

I have noticed there are either 2 or 3 different alternator sizes for the Explorer and the belt sizes vary as well.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

jman

Rattling noises usually come from the cooling fans. First check if there is anything trapped in there, look for anything lose around it and finally, listen carefully if it is the fan itself.

2010 - Unleashed Tune - Corsa Exhaust - 275/40-R20 - H&R Springs

xartic1

Quote from: jman on October 13, 2020, 04:13:36 PM
Rattling noises usually come from the cooling fans. First check if there is anything trapped in there, look for anything lose around it and finally, listen carefully if it is the fan itself.
OP should clarify if the noise is on a cold start with the AC on only. Mine was rattling regardless of the cooling fan on or off since the prior owner had the incorrect belt installed.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

Mml665

Quote from: xartic1 on October 13, 2020, 05:59:30 PM
Quote from: jman on October 13, 2020, 04:13:36 PM
OP should clarify if the noise is on a cold start with the AC on only. Mine was rattling regardless of the cooling fan on or off since the prior owner had the incorrect belt installed.
At first it was cold or warm start, with AC on, now it seems to happen with or without AC on. It is similar to heat shield rattle in sound

Mml665

Sooooo update long time coming, the noise was fixed by replacing the recently replaced belt tensioner and belt.

Macgyver

Quote from: Mml665 on December 28, 2021, 11:42:38 AM
Sooooo update long time coming, the noise was fixed by replacing the recently replaced belt tensioner and belt.

Good to know. Thanks !!!