• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HOW-TO: 3.5L EcoBoost XDI +30% Fuel Injector Installation

Started by Ecoboost_xsport, September 29, 2020, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

So this is a subsection of the larger modification section I was doing with the intake manifold, phenolic spacer and throttle body.  I broke it out separately in order to highlight some of the things I learned along the way.

XDI has some awesome products and really does a lot to support our platform.  Uwe over there is a great resource and can be extremely helpful even if you have a custom build.  He sent me an early version of his SHO injectors, so these are technically his Gen1 version and have a +30% capability, but his latest SHO injectors are true +50%.  Check them out at Xtreme DI.

Here's a short intro video on the upcoming tasks:
https://youtu.be/sjbZmxVbCt4

I took my time on this install as I wanted to make sure I got everything right and not forget any steps.  I'm sure in the video set, some of you may find some things I could've done better.  Let me know, as I'm always open for criticism.

Here's the beginning, removal of everything:
https://youtu.be/g8wyExGxwxs

And here is the preparation of the heads before the installation:
https://youtu.be/SD9ya2M_FsA

This is the tool I was talking about in that video:

Might be able to solve the issue using other methods, but figured I'd just get the right tool for the job.  It's way too expensive for what it is though, tbh.  Not to mention, the bristles definitely have a lifespan, so if this was something you had to do often, you'd be having to purchase another tool over time.  Anyway, it worked well and gave me peace-of-mind so that's worth something, right?

Here's the preparation of the actual rails with the injectors, before installation into the heads:
https://youtu.be/DppwX1WRTWw

If you find some injectors sticking into the rail itself, I used this to tool (Craftsman Lock Ring Pliers #47386) to pop it out easily:

Used the caps and plugs Uwe provided with the new injectors for storing the old ones:

Rails getting ready for the injectors:

Since it was off the engine, trimmed that hook bracket off the new HP fuel line.  Just give you a bit more room to adjust it as it's not used anyway.

Before:

After:

Also shaved down the head of that bolt it normally connects to.

Actual installation:
https://youtu.be/lEzkWRQNYfA

After this, just gotta proceed with installation of the rest...phenolic spacer and intake manifold (covered in a different thread).  Although I've heard you can at least start the vehicle up and maybe idle it, I wasn't going to risk it.  Luckily it's not a daily driver for me, so it wasn't a big deal to wait for Brad at AJP to get me an updated tune.

Here's the injector calibration sheet I needed to provide Brad for tuning:

Got the new preliminary tune in, did a full coolant flush and took it out for a small romp around town and man, this thing is beastly.  I am doing datalogging with Brad currently so we'll see when this iteration is finalized, but I'm impressed so far.

Thanks Uwe!!!

bpd1151

Again, another nice "How-To" write up.

So nice to see other owners such as yourself taking up the baton/torch for the benefit of other owner's and the platform as a whole.

That bore cleaning device with the brass bristles, reminds me a little bit like a smaller version of the VERY SAME brushes/tools I use to clean my assault rifles and/or shotguns.

Perhaps heading to a local gun shop, or even checking online for gun cleaning supplies, might yield a very similar part (difference really being the length of the handle/rod, and/or varying diameter of brushes for corresponding barrel circumferences) at a much more palatable/cheaper price point.

Just thinking out loud.

Again though, great write up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: bpd1151 on September 29, 2020, 12:20:33 PM
Again, another nice "How-To" write up.

So nice to see other owners such as yourself taking up the baton/torch for the benefit of other owner's and the platform as a whole.

That bore cleaning device with the brass bristles, reminds me a little bit like a smaller version of the VERY SAME brushes/tools I use to clean my assault rifles and/or shotguns.

Perhaps heading to a local gun shop, or even checking online for gun cleaning supplies, might yield a very similar part (difference really being the length of the handle/rod, and/or varying diameter of brushes for corresponding barrel circumferences) at a much more palatable/cheaper price point.

Just thinking out loud.

Again though, great write up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Very good call on that tool idea!!! Whats funny is, I have like 4 different bore snakes laying around to clean my own "collection" and it never dawned on me to try it. I may break them out and compare to the tool and maybe find a good alternative.

Keep in mind, it's a 2-step, so you'd like need 2 different snake sizes, but it sounds very doable.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

802SHO

Extremely detailed as well as informative write up....literally just need to follow along...no way to screw this up once I get there!  Thank you thank you
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: 802SHO on September 29, 2020, 08:43:30 PM
Extremely detailed as well as informative write up....literally just need to follow along...no way to screw this up once I get there!  Thank you thank you
Haha, I did cut out scenes with me cussing and getting frustrated....because it's bound to happen, lol...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk