• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Turbo Interchangeability

Started by MattC, September 29, 2020, 11:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport and was curious if the Explorer ST turbo is better and if so, interchangeable. Is there a reference for the different Garrett's used on the plethora of ecoboost platforms?
I know the F150 doesn't swap. Google pulls up diesel turbos every time i look for a part number and specifics, figured i'd come to the experts.
2015 Explorer Sport: ported intake, tuned, 100% meth, downpipes

Blackhawk

The motor is installed longitudinally like the F150, probably a long shot for them to fit when you also consider its a different engine as well.

xartic1

The 2.7T in the Fusion Sport or the 3.0T in the MKZ would be more of a likely candidate since they are transverse like the Explorer/Flex/SHO.

As far as what their setup looks like compared to what you have, I haven't got a clue.

There are aftermarket turbos made for the Explorer though.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

MattC

Thanks guys! I come from Mustangs and Powerstrokes where there are thousands of turbo options yet for the Explorer/SHO there's, what, 3? haha

I just know with the SHO, ground clearance is an issue so i'm kinda hoping a turbo from another platform might fit with some light to moderate modification in the Explorer and can be had under $2,500. Very long shot, but was hoping someone in here was more well versed in the Garrett's offered on vehicles.
2015 Explorer Sport: ported intake, tuned, 100% meth, downpipes

limited02

I believe it's been established there are no real options to use a turbo effectively from another platform.  For your budget, I would just have them redone by GearHead assuming your turbos are in good shape: https://www.ghtuning.com/product/gearhead-exclusive-upgraded-taurus-sho-turbos/