• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Daily driver MKT

Started by byersjakebyers, September 23, 2020, 08:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byersjakebyers

:zumbujump: :zumbujump: :zumbujump: :zumbujump: :) :) :)Curious of opinions on hopping up my 2014 Lincoln MKT. I want to squeeze just a little more out of it. Original thought was removing the middle muffler, 170 t-stat, 3 bar, livernois tuner (close by in MN 87/89/91/93/110 and e 85) At some point down the road would like to have a meth map option also.
Main concern is drivability in Minnesota winters. I run 91 in it all time in the CITY only, way smoother idle but would like a 87 high mpg tune for just HIGHWAY only, then a 93/meth option for YE HAW only time. How hard is it to switch between maps? And what happens when I shift from D to S with the tuner onboard? Does it change the steering and suspension rates like it does in stock form. (Normal/comfy/sport). Need to switch my tire size too for winter/summer tires. Realize it's a long post that likely been asked before, but any MKT specific advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! Jake

SM105K

Welcome.  There is plethora of knowledge here.  Couple of things to consider.  Removing the middle "muffler" could cause drone.  The middle muffler is a resonator that helps keep the drone down.  Also it has been proven that is doesn't provide hardly any performance enhancement.

For the tunes you are talking about, a stock exhaust will be more then adequate.  Maybe a pair downpipes for a pitch change.  To be honest the best exhaust mod that I have seen, is adding Anthony Di Cunzolo's upgraded TQ mounts.  They are not for everyone, but they changed my exhaust in cabin sound more than anything else. 

Tunes.  LMS has fallen from grace in our community.  Very few people will endorse them. You can read all about it here. https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,111.0.html

I would look into other tuners personally.  It seems for what you want, Gearhead's Auto Octane Tune is what you need.  Matt (the Owner Of Gearhead) has brought this tune to market.  The tune allows you put 87-93 octane in your vehicle without having to switch tunes.  Also, the transmission tuning is top notch.

Differences in D to S will only be opitimized.  If you are looking for a good all season tire, the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 is a great tire. I have seen reviews from SHO owners saying they are good in the snow as well.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/continental-extreme-contact-dws-06/p/32246 

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Macgyver

Engine mounts are a total blast. Only you and your passengers hear it and it makes it sound like a sports car.

Plenty of tuners besides Livernois.

AJP turbo, Gearhead, Unleashed, Ortiz Tuning, are my picks.

MKS Tom

I have an MKT though it is stock at this point.  I am likely to keep it that way as it has almost 140K on it and I will likely get another one newer to tune.  I would really suggest using an SCT tuner like Ortiz rather than using Livernois.  You do not want to to be stuck using LMS stuff only to want to try another tuner and have to buy the device again. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

TopherSho

Quote from: byersjakebyers on September 23, 2020, 08:25:29 AM
:zumbujump: :zumbujump: :zumbujump: :zumbujump: :) :) :)Curious of opinions on hopping up my 2014 Lincoln MKT. I want to squeeze just a little more out of it. Original thought was removing the middle muffler, 170 t-stat, 3 bar, livernois tuner (close by in MN 87/89/91/93/110 and e 85) At some point down the road would like to have a meth map option also.
Main concern is drivability in Minnesota winters. I run 91 in it all time in the CITY only, way smoother idle but would like a 87 high mpg tune for just HIGHWAY only, then a 93/meth option for YE HAW only time. How hard is it to switch between maps? And what happens when I shift from D to S with the tuner onboard? Does it change the steering and suspension rates like it does in stock form. (Normal/comfy/sport). Need to switch my tire size too for winter/summer tires. Realize it's a long post that likely been asked before, but any MKT specific advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! Jake

For a low mile 2014,  Gearhead auto-octane tune, E20/E30, Downpipes and leave it at that!  you can detune it and take it to the dealer and the dealer will be clueless that you normally make 400/AWDHP 420+AWDTQ.  You can do more exhaust work and pick up more power but the cost/reward is MUCH MUCH less than the E-tune + downpipes.

You can do a smaller gap on the plugs,  going under .028 will wear them out VERY fast and it is recommended to replace them every 30k miles or less.  but the smaller GAP will help a bunch with higher rpm end spark demands.

If your willing to void your warranty meth (ALKY) + E20/E30 is just laughably fun and you WILL have to buy Conti DSW-06's or burn off your front tires ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

DaveBey

My 2010 MKT is my daily driver and it is fun to drive tuned. You only really notice the extra power under acceleration so you should be fine in the winter months.
2010 Lincoln MKT AWD | Gearhead intercooler | Gearhead tuning | PPE Engineering downpipes | Eco Power Parts hot pipes | Eco Power Parts intake | Motorcraft SP542 spark plugs at .026 | Motorcraft CX2594 MAP sensor | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can with Clean Side Separator | 2013+ Motorcraft heavy-duty brakes | Goodridge G-Stop Brakeline Kit | 2013+ Ford auxiliary transmission cooler