• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HOW-TO: 2015 Explorer Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro Foglights Install

Started by Ecoboost_xsport, September 21, 2020, 03:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

So I always wanted to have better lighting on this vehicle and went to HIDs years ago.  Lately LED technology has been getting better so figured I'd try out what was on the market.  I wanted to stay away from cheap overseas kits found on places like eBay.  Did some research and learned about Diode Dynamics (Diode Dynamics).  Stuff is either made or assembled here in good ol' US of A.

Anyway, started out looking for foglight upgrades and I liked what they were offering with their SS3 Pro kit (SS3 Pro Fog Lights).  It's SAE/DOT legal so that's cool as well.

The kit required some changes as it wasn't plug-and-play (even though it was supposed to be listed for my application).  They may now have what is needed though.

Finished installation:

The foglight bracket once removed:

LED housing installed into the bracket:

The issue came up when installing the bracket assembly back into the vehicle, it wouldn't seat properly.  Here is how far the bracket is away from bolting up when the LED housing is installed:

There are 3 screws that hold the bracket in place.  Here is what it looks like behind the bumper without the bracket (I put my ball cap in the opening so the glare from the sun wouldn't wash out the pic, LOL):

And here's one of the holes on the bracket:

Had to get creative so I found some old hardware and spacers in my bucket-o-spare-hardware, LOL:

Don't ask me where that spacer came from, but they are about 1/2" long to fill in the space needed.  I had 6 of them, 3 for each side. Here is how it looks on the bracket:

And everything finally installed, now there is only a very small gap but I was okay with this:

Here is the look off and on:

Holy crap these things light up the road...WAY better than the stock fogs or the HIDs I had prior to these.  Now I just wish there was some high end LEDs for the headlights that fit into our housing (I've tried a few sets and most won't actually fit properly).

So here are a few night shots.  I did not take any photos of the HID fogs, so this could arguably be an invalid comparison, but figured I'd show at least something.  I took four photos at each position.  In my attempt at making it equal and fair, I took each photo using my Samsung Galaxy S9+, mounted on a suction windshield mount.  All shots where made in Manual Mode:

• F1.5
  • 1/10s shutter speed
  • 4.30mm focal length
  • ISO400
  • No Flash
Order of shots in each grouping:
[LIST=1]

• Low Beam and Foglights
  • Low Beam
  • Low Beam and High Beam
  • Parking Lights
1st Grouping:

2nd Grouping:

And finally, a light output comparison video:
https://youtu.be/DM5x_rdZePc

StealBlueSho

Another fantastic write up! I need to find a clean way to put fog lights in the SHO. Thank you for supporting the forum and throwing out a couple really well done write ups.

Macgyver

Super Great Job.

Its nice to have good mods for people to see first hand.

Ecoboost_xsport

So I finally got around to taking some comparison night shots.  I did not take any photos of the HID fogs, so this could arguably be an invalid comparison, but figured I'd show at least something.  I took four photos at each position.  In my attempt at making it equal and fair, I took each photo using my Samsung Galaxy S9+, mounted on a suction windshield mount.  All shots where made in Manual Mode:

• F1.5
  • 1/10s shutter speed
  • 4.30mm focal length
  • ISO400
  • No Flash
Order of shots in each grouping from top to bottom:

• Low Beam and Foglights
  • Low Beam
  • Low Beam and High Beam
  • Parking Lights
1st Grouping:

2nd Grouping: