• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

A few pics of my alky meth install and trans cooler.

Started by StinkinLinkin13, June 09, 2020, 11:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StinkinLinkin13

***Edited for bad trans temp pid used***

I just did 2 back to back pulls to about 100mph just to test. Temp went up to 162° (estimated adjustment) and leveled off... Started inching back down. Hope it works out for you. Save your tstat just in case you want to use it in winter...
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SM105K

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on June 15, 2020, 02:07:02 PM
I just did 2 back to back pulls to about 100mph just to test. Temp went up to 122° and leveled off... Started inching back down. Hope it works out for you. Save your tstat just in case you want to use it in winter...

I will yank that block off and take it to my local speed shop and just get some AN connectors and adapt the lines together. That will allow me to make it a plug and play system if I have to put the t stat back in.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

jims2015

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on June 15, 2020, 01:17:40 PM
I run no trans t-stat at all. I bought the PP version tstat thinking I'd run too cool in the winter but it didn't turn out to be much of a problem at all. 
It took me about ten minutes to get to 100° this morning. That's as is with no t-stat and this trans cooler it likes to sit at 160. It will spike to about 180ish after some very spirited driving then recover back to about 160. I've driven over 500 miles on a hundred plus degree day and 160° is where it like to sit. I did have some concern that temps would gradually raise but it never became an issue.

Just to attempt to clarify. When I say I run no t stat I physically remove the t-stat from the aluminum block held in place by that snap ring in the picture. The aluminum block is still used. Then I blocked off the port (where the tstat used to sit) in between the lines with a bolt so there's no crossover.

I included a pic of the cooler installed on my old car so you can see how well it's sits and gets fresh air. Best pic I had.

I remember something about minimum temps for efficiency and lube. I think you're right in the ballpark.
2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

GotGrip?

From my understanding of Trans fluid, the ideal or recommended temp is around 175-215ish. Under that the fluid is losing viscosity and becomes thick, above those temps you start cooking it. So having super low trans temps isn't ideal to keep your trans happy, the fluid can't lubricate properly if it is closer to pudding than liquid.

Edit: Unless you're changing the trans fluid to match your trans cooler, then you can disregard this post.
2016 SHO Non-PP, GH/AJP E30 Tune,3Bar MAP, K&N Typoon, EPP Noisemaker Delete, H&R Springs, ZEDD SL5 19x9.5, PS Drilled/Slotted rotors, TreadStone TR8C FMIC, SSM Trans Mounts, TCE Custom Catted DPs, FMIC Sprayer, XDI35

Current Dyno: 421/503 (pre-dp/XDI)

SM105K

Quote from: GotGrip? on June 16, 2020, 12:27:47 PM
From my understanding of Trans fluid, the ideal or recommended temp is around 175-215ish. Under that the fluid is losing viscosity and becomes thick, above those temps you start cooking it. So having super low trans temps isn't ideal to keep your trans happy, the fluid can't lubricate properly if it is closer to pudding than liquid.

Edit: Unless you're changing the trans fluid to match your trans cooler, then you can disregard this post.

I think I will add the cooler and leave the T stat in first.  I will drive it to see what happens.  If it keeps the trans under 200 at 85 - 90 mph sustained I would call it a win. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StinkinLinkin13

Yes sir. Experiment a little to see what works best for you. I did the same.

I needed to correct my temps from yesterday because figured they were too low... I double checked my pids on torque pro and must have entered something incorrectly. Using the Torque supplied Ford Trans Temp pid I ran the same test. The difference is its quite a bit cooler today.... a chilly 73° and raining. My temp after two brisk pulls raised to 140° in about 5 minutes drive time (basically around the block / 3 miles). As you would expect it will take longer to get up to operating temp without the tstat. But It beats the 286+° spikes I had with my 2013 MKS on WOT highway runs. Also it doesn't help that mercon LV is known for breaking down pretty quickly. Personally I'm comfortable with the 160-180 range on our setups. Especially being the lead foot that I am. Also note that it should also help with our condenser temps a little.

Keep in mind my cooler also has about 2 times the area as the PP version.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

SM105K

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on June 16, 2020, 01:48:11 PM

I needed to correct my temps from yesterday because figured they were too low... I double checked my pids on torque pro and must have entered something incorrectly. Using the Torque supplied Ford Trans Temp pid I ran the same test. The difference is its quite a bit cooler today.... a chilly 73° and raining. My temp after two brisk pulls raised to 140° in about 5 minutes drive time (basically around the block / 3 miles). As you would expect it will take longer to get up to operating temp without the tstat. But It beats the 286+° spikes I had with my 2013 MKS on WOT highway runs. Also it doesn't help that mercon LV is known for breaking down pretty quickly. Personally I'm comfortable with the 160-180 range on our setups. Especially being the lead foot that I am. Also note that it should also help with our condenser temps a little.

286 spikes!!!!! Holy crap! I can see where you are a lot happier with the 160 to 180 range.  Wow.  I will try and get that cooler (it was delivered today) installed this weekend and see where the temps hang out in the 110 degree heat here.   

StinkinLinkin13

My 2018 post that started it all... Initially I thought it was a tune issue. It ended up being my trans running way too hot. This was on my 13 MKS. It addition it also did relieve the harsh shifting/bucking issues... So this is the setup I've been running ever since. My theory is that most people having harsh shift issues thinking it was the tune were also just having high temp /pressure issues. Just my theory.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=9234.0

GotGrip?

Hopefully you replaced the fluid after those spikes, would suck to have done all that work putting a cooler in just to be running cooked fluid.
2016 SHO Non-PP, GH/AJP E30 Tune,3Bar MAP, K&N Typoon, EPP Noisemaker Delete, H&R Springs, ZEDD SL5 19x9.5, PS Drilled/Slotted rotors, TreadStone TR8C FMIC, SSM Trans Mounts, TCE Custom Catted DPs, FMIC Sprayer, XDI35

Current Dyno: 421/503 (pre-dp/XDI)

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: GotGrip? on June 16, 2020, 04:45:13 PM
Hopefully you replaced the fluid after those spikes, would suck to have done all that work putting a cooler in just to be running cooked fluid.

Yes sir. Surprisingly the fluid wasn't as bad as I expected but it was fresh fluid already. When I added the cooler I changed the fluid again.

6500rpm

Would have been  interesting to  get a Blackstone  report on the old fluid just to see what they find.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: 6500rpm on June 16, 2020, 06:14:31 PM
Would have been  interesting to  get a Blackstone  report on the old fluid just to see what they find.

Yea. That would have been interesting to say the least.

Also torque gauges from todays drive... Was picking on a new Type R civic when i took this screenshot... Almost felt bad for him.

StinkinLinkin13

Quote from: SM105K on June 16, 2020, 03:13:58 PM

286 spikes!!!!! Holy crap! I can see where you are a lot happier with the 160 to 180 range.  Wow.  I will try and get that cooler (it was delivered today) installed this weekend and see where the temps hang out in the 110 degree heat here.

How did the t-stat cooler experiment ever work out for you? What route did you take?

SM105K

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on August 29, 2020, 11:06:22 AM
Quote from: SM105K on June 16, 2020, 03:13:58 PM

How did the t-stat cooler experiment ever work out for you? What route did you take?

So the cooler that I bought was much smaller than advertised. However I still removed the stock PP cooler and added the Derale. I have had two trips through the desert and the new cooler has dropped my fluid temps 20 degrees. I was seeing 217 to 220 degree at sustained 85 mph plus in 100 to 105 degree ambient range. With the new cooler it holds right at 200 with ambient temps in the 115 range. I left the trans t-stat in. New cooler works alot better.