• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SM105K's 802SHO splitter and Duraflex Chin Spoiler Install.

Started by SM105K, August 12, 2020, 11:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

I am going to break this into a couple of posts.

About a year ago 802SHO developed and manufactured an awesome splitter for his 2010 SHO.  That being said I wanted one.  We worked a deal and I was test fitter part of his limited run.  Since there wasn't a direct fit chin spoiler for my 2013 SHO, like there is for the 2010 I purchased the 2010-2012 Duraflex Chin Spoiler.  That being said I knew some modifications needed to be done. I didnt know the extent but yeah......

I put it on the back burner for too long.....and I revisited this past weekend.   I got sick and tired of looking at the chin spoiler and splitter just chilling on top of my fridge in the garage.  So I made my move and promised myself, that no matter what I was going to mount the damn thing. I have seen pics of other 13+ SHO's with that exact spoiler so I knew it could be done.   

First and foremost, the Duraflex Chin Spoiler is an overpriced complete pile of junk.  It is poorly made, fitment even on the 2010 cars is okay. It offers zero mounting tabs, and the color finish is less then to be desired.  However, it is what it is, and that is what we have to work with. 

The difference in the front ends is the biggest thing.  The front clip on the 2010-2012 has a channel that is flush across the whole bumper.  On the 13+ that channel dips between the head lights ever so slightly.  That is what really makes this challenging. 

Mounting the chin spoiler was probably the most frustrating. I thought about using carriage bolts.  I could drill them from the bottom and fasten them to the ridges in the clip.  Yeah...wasn't happening.  Chatting with Andrew, he sent me pics of how his mounted.  He had mounting tabs that were fabricated from fiberglass.  So, off to Youtube to learn how to fiberglass lol....

Pic 1 & Pic 2: were the prototype fitting from 802SHO. 

Pic 3: The actual splitter when it arrived at my house.

Pic 4: Is where the spoiler and splitter lived until the past couple of days.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

Off to the Autozone I went. I just bought the small Bondo Brand fiberglass kit.  My first attempt at making tabs did NOT go well at all.  However, for the end mounts they worked great.  I made another set of tabs.  Couple of tips.  Always wear gloves, vodka removes the resin from the paint brush when you are finished, and use really good and sharp sissors.  Cutting the fiberglass sheets into uniform pieces makes things easier as well.  I ended up using 4 tabs and that kept the spoiler attached to the front clip in a crude manner.  This gave me an idea how much I would have to cut and level the channel in the front clip.

I used a Dremel with a cone bit and started removing material from clip.  After awhile it was flush enough for my liking.  I remounted the chin spoiler, and made marks for where I would add my new tabs.  I also knew that I would need to make them longer. With that being said, I used the same method of making tabs (refined of course) then when they were dry, I used the resin to attach the new mounts to the inside of the spoiler. I resin'd only half the material.  That made a good base, and made it rigid for a base for me to resin the other half to the clip.

Got the tabs mounted, and used some tools to hold them in place. Let them cure over night and wallah!  New tabs ready to mount!

Pic 1: Worst tabs ever.
Pic 2: The stock dip in the channel.
Pic 3: Removing material and making the stock channel flush.
Pic 4: New tabs mounted and curing.   
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

So I started working on mounting with the hardware.  I placed the spoiler onto the front clip with the new tabs.  I fastened the sides first flush with the end of the front clip (near the tires).  This made everything somewhat flush along the front.  I pulled on the tabs and drilled holes.  Added some bolts, washers, and nuts and everything was secure and fitment was acceptable.

I then placed the front assembly onto the splitter. I made sure that everything was flush and I drilled from the top of the spoiler for each bolt that secures the splitter to the spoiler at the ends.  I secured the bolts on the ends, and this allowed me to keep rear alignment.  I flipped the whole assembly up and started drilling my holes from underneath.  You will see how I did that in the pics.  My 3 year old helper jumped into the mix too.  That was the easy part and it stayed aligned perfectly.  I secured all the bolts and wham, it was done!

Just needed to secure the adjustable rods.  The idiots at the dealership the car was shipped too decided that drilling holes in the front clip to secure the front license plate was the best solution at the time.  Terrible, so those holes have been an eye sore.  So I used them to secure the rods.  It isn't the set up I wanted, but it will work for now.   

So I pretty much had a final fit last night. Everything seems like it is happy. I have since dissembled it. I need to do some work to the chin spoiler itself. I have to shorten some tabs, that I was over zealous with.

When I modified this chin spoiler I went a little thin on the top for fitment. It isn't bad, and I don't want to fix it. I learned a lot about fitment during this process as well. So this is going to be my test spoiler. I am worried about rocks here in AZ and I am pretty sure this spoiler will take one sooner or later. With that being said, I am just going to prep and plasti dip this spoiler. If is holds up, I will purchase another, make the tabs again, and have my buddy paint match it Tuxedo Black.

Pic 1: You can see the mounting tabs.

Pic 2: Getting the alignment on top of the splitter

Pic 3: Assembly flipped and drilling holes from the bottom.

Pic 4: Three year old helper putting together bolt assemblies.

Pic 5: Final fitment.

SM105K

This post is final prep and assembly.  While modifying the chin spoiler to fit I was a little over zealous and removed too much material off the top.  That left a small gap between the clip and the spoiler.  It wasn't bad, but enough to annoy me.  So I fixed that with come edge trim.  It isn't perfect because there isn't a uniform edge on the splitter.  So I had to modify the trim, and in some places super glue it down. Not a big deal.

Next I cleaned the spoiler. I used Clean Slate from Chemical Guys.  I waited for the spoiler to the completely dry.  Then I wiped it down again with the Dip Your Car surface cleaner.  Next I masked the trim on the top and started plasti dipping the spoiler.  It was 117 degrees in my garage and the dip was drying when it hit the spoiler.  I decided to run with it.  I got good coverage, and the pattern and texture is pretty cool.  If I hate it later, I will just peal it off.  After the spoiler dried, I peeled the tape off the edge trim.  Ready for final assembly.

Next up I reinforced the mounting points and holes that I made from fiberglass with metal duct tape. This stuff is awesome.  Added the tape, drilled the holes, and added the mounting hardware.  After the mounting hardware was tight, I used the metal duct tape to secure the bolt and nut.  This will insure the that nut cannot loosen over time.

After the spoiler was mounted and secured, I added a trim piece to the bottom.  Then I mounted the splitter.  After the mounting hardware was tight and the splitter was secure I used the metal tape to again secure the nut on top.  Maybe it is overkill, however I would rather be safer then sorry.

I re-secured the adjustable rods and added the trim protector to the splitter itself.  Next up is to drill some holes in the bottom for the plastic valance in the front of the car.  I will secure those with metal zip ties.   

Pic 1: Peeling the tape off the edge trim.

Pic 2: 3M Auto Body Tape (metal duct tape)

Pic 3: Plasti Dip dried.

Pic 4: Metal tape reinforced mounting tabs.

Pic 5: Spoiler mounting hardware.

Pic 6: Metal tape securing spoiler mounting hardware.

Pic 7: Metal tape securing the splitter hardware.

Pic 8: Splitter edge protector and final assembly.

SM105K

Here is the whole assembly. Looks good I think.

However...I need to pull the whole front clip off again. My plasti dip is already peeling....grr.

However, I am going to strip off the plasti dip off, wash the chin spoiler, scuff it, and the I bought some Hercluliner spray truck bed liner.

Hopefully that will protect the spoiler from rocks and bugs and give it a bit more ragidity. Here's goes nothing.

4sfed

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SM105K

It is already taken apart, stripped, scuffed, and now getting Herculiner Bed Liner sprayed on it.

802SHO

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

After I sprayed the lip with Herculiner (which turned out amazing) back on the car now.

802SHO

Quote from: SM105K on August 16, 2020, 02:15:29 PM
After I sprayed the lip with Herculiner (which turned out amazing) back on the car now.
Looks stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on August 16, 2020, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: SM105K on August 16, 2020, 02:15:29 PM
Looks stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you sir. Seems everything has come along.

limited02

As I mentioned on the other forum, looks great!  Only change I would do myself, is paint the rods/mounting points black as well. 

Macgyver

Quote from: limited02 on August 18, 2020, 03:12:18 PM
As I mentioned on the other forum, looks great!  Only change I would do myself, is paint the rods/mounting points black as well.

I agree. Maybe with the Herculiner

FearlessAZ

So jealous. That is one thing I miss about the Sho. Just looks more sporty. Don't think it would ever look as good on an MKS.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)