• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What would mildly shot sway bar bushings sound like?

Started by TopherSho, September 14, 2020, 11:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

Under low speed no load,  if I hit a small bump like less than a inch deep i get a super mild thunk/clunk .. I am **just** getting the noise,  no steering feedback nor do i feel it in my feet.

I can hit the same bumps in neutral and still hear it as well at the same 'volume'.

I think it is the 10 year old rubber in the bushings for the sway bar,  but not ruling out shocks and looking for opinions.  I am unable to record the noise as my old cellphone i used as a gopro crapped the bed finally .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ww7aGVkJEw

If you listen to this video it is the same sound,  only mine is *WAY* more muted and does not occur under 'load' or higher speeds.  I'm driving about 10mph to hear it..

If i am driving under load,  i do not hear the noise .. even 10% throttle will prevent it as long as the car is getting pulled forward. 

Turning for straight makes no diff...

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Dannymack

I had that in mine and most of the noise was the sway bar links. I do still have it a bit after replacing them, but a lot less than before. Still need to do the bushings to see if it goes away fully.
2013 MKS EcoBoost Fully Loaded
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

TopherSho

Quote from: Dannymack on September 14, 2020, 11:50:07 PM
I had that in mine and most of the noise was the sway bar links. I do still have it a bit after replacing them, but a lot less than before. Still need to do the bushings to see if it goes away fully.

Thank you for the feedback
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

ZSHO

I would try to rule out the (Strut assembly) Strut Mounts especially if original IMO! Z

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2011,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1446498,suspension,strut+mount,7600

Good thread below . Best of luck.

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7087.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

updated testing, 

rolling fwd in neutral yanking left to right - no noise
rolling fwd in idle yanking left to right - no noise
in park yanking left to right - no noise
in neutral with ebrake yanking left to right - no noise

seems limited to vertical motion .. this is promising .. bushing in my head or possible strut.  will take to my fav mechanic in a few days

ridered74

Mine did it since I bought the car with 32K miles. Did the end links first since they looked worn out and seemed easier to replace, still had the noise. Replaced entire strut on both sides including strut mounts and she's been quiet ever since. Mine pretty much only made the noise going over speed bumps but it made the noise every single time I went over one.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

TopherSho

Quote from: ridered74 on September 16, 2020, 12:19:26 AM
Mine did it since I bought the car with 32K miles. Did the end links first since they looked worn out and seemed easier to replace, still had the noise. Replaced entire strut on both sides including strut mounts and she's been quiet ever since. Mine pretty much only made the noise going over speed bumps but it made the noise every single time I went over one.

TY,  starting to sounds more like strut bushings like Zsho and you mentioned ... okedoky.

6500rpm

Take the links off and go for a ride and see if it stops. Worse case scenario, it still makes noise and it's one less thing to remove when you replace the struts (  ;
They can't be very expensive, if you end up replacing struts I'd do the links too, it's actually a fairly common failure.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!