• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

And the award for most frequently broken car goes to...

Started by MKS Tom, July 22, 2020, 10:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

MKS Tom

I did drop it back off last night.  Hopefully it gets sorted. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

MKS Tom

Quote from: Macgyver on August 12, 2020, 12:22:59 AM
Can you trade it in and not take a bath ?

I own it outright so I have flexibility in those regards, but I am an extremely stubborn and cheap person who can't rationalize wasting money ever.  Basically none of these repairs are costing me money but rather just annoying.  I did invest a lot into the car that I would be wasting though like getting the valves cleaned and upgrading my braking system.  My PPE downpipes would get put on my MKT as I am not wasting that money and all of my tuning stuff could apply to it.  I have considered moving on from it for months but so far I am hopeful to get it right.  I have a brand new PTU, transmission, turbos, and all my timing components so I have thousands in repairs that I paid $100 for.  All this car needs is for me to do a Sync 3 update to be modern as it has more tech than I can even use.  Hopefully it is finally resolved. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

Macgyver

Yeah I hear ya.

It must be thoroughly annoying. Once its done right tho. You should be good to go.

MKS Tom

Positive news.  Ford called this morning and said the PTU that is only a new months old is shot.  I will be getting a new one replaced free of charge.  It seems likely that the failing transmission had done damage to it.  That is my best guess.  The transmission in this now runs perfect so it has not caused it to fail in any way.  Hopefully this solves it and I can enjoy the car.  My goals this year are simply to get to the track once with what I have and whatever time I get so be it.  I will make the car considerably faster in 2021 if it holds up until then. 

Macgyver

MKS Tom

I drove past the dealer today on a Sunday and it was parked out back not moved in days.  lol  The PTU either did not arrive yet or did so on Friday.  They had told me it would take 3 days to get in and that was Tuesday.  Hopefully early this week I will get it back. 

MKS Tom

Metal in the 10 month old PTU.  They are concerned about the brand new transmission as well and are going to be pulling it all apart.  Awesome.  I won't have it for probably another 2 weeks or so.  I am not paying a dime for it but yeah, I am extremely frustrated with the car.

MKS Tom

StealBlueSho

STILL?!?!?! I saw the posts on FB.. but Dang Gina....

TopherSho

As someone who snapped his PTU in half myself .. Quick Question .. Are you waiting for about 20 minutes of driving before getting on it?  IE getting the PTU Fluid to about 180f+?

These Ptus are 'fine' when warm .. but cold are extremely easy top break with the oil cold.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

MKS Tom

Quote from: TopherSho on September 14, 2020, 09:27:01 AM
As someone who snapped his PTU in half myself .. Quick Question .. Are you waiting for about 20 minutes of driving before getting on it?  IE getting the PTU Fluid to about 180f+?

These Ptus are 'fine' when warm .. but cold are extremely easy top break with the oil cold.

Relatively quickly.  About 5 to 10 minutes of idle each time.  A couple miles of driving then I would like to open it up on a back road on the short drive home from work (4 miles away). 

I am told to be getting it back on Monday.  We shall see. 

MKS Tom

So far it is driving great.  I am putting my tune back in it this weekend. 

Macgyver

MKS Tom

She is running fine.  I will be loading the tune back on either tonight or tomorrow.