• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HOW-TO: 2015 Explorer In-Cabin LPFP Assembly Access

Started by Ecoboost_xsport, July 14, 2020, 09:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

So I was really dreading installing the fuel hanger that had installed the DW300c into.

Reason being...I was dreading dropping the fuel tank as we don't have top access from within the vehicle.  This would mean taking the driveshaft down, removing the exhaust, removing the filler neck, all kinds of lines, etc.  As some of you know, I hang out on here a lot and posed the question to see what you guys had to do for any pointers before I tackle the task.  You all proceeded to tell me you have in-car access from a plastic cover under the rear seat...ugh...I got jealous, LOL.

Anyway, I decided to say "&^%$ it!" and see what can be done from the top.  I took the seat out, cut back the carpet and found a small hole with a rubber grommet near where the fuel hanger would be.  I used my boroscope to see what was under it and see what was in the way.  Well, nothing was!  So I made an larger exploratory 2.5" hole that I could easily cap off with a rubber plug I had laying around if I had to abort.

So after closer inspection, I noticed there was parts of the body that are required for the actual structure, but there looked to be a small window I could make to access the fuel hanger without effecting any of the structural integrity.  It would be an odd shape, but it was a flat area that I could easily make a cover plate for when I was done.  Sooooo, I decided to just commit...full send baby!!!

Here's the cutting tools you should try to use.  I would NOT use a cut off wheel as it creates sparks and I am not sure how the fuel vapors are in that vicinity:

Initial rough cut:

Edges sanded and deburred, old hanger cleaned:

Carpet cleaned and trimmed:

WeatherTech mat covering hole, to see how obvious it might when I would get finished:

Well, Now I just would have to make a cover plate, which will have integrated gussets for added rigidity and a rubber gasket to seal it up.  I'll drill and install some rivet nuts and this thing should be super easy to access in the future should I need to!

So latest update:  I installed the new fuel hanger from this access hatch.  OMG, it was awesome how easy it was to get to.  Didn't take a pic of the finished install as it looks exactly like the OEM hanger, LOL. Oh and I used a new hanger o-ring too!

Cardboard template of the cover I will cut on the shears I have at work:

Cut the new plate from 8Ga aluminum plate...pretty thick stuff, won't be putting the indents in as this is way thicker than the sheet metal body.

Comparison of aluminum plate to template:

Rough sanded and filed edges:

Fine sanded and polished edges with finished top/bottom:

Mocked into vehicle:

Gasket cut/sized:  Just need to identify where to place the hardware holes...

Center punch panel bolt holes:

Pilot holes drilled:

Transferred hole locations to gasket:

Holes punched into gasket (yes to the Crocs!):

Rivet nutt holes drilled in body:

Rivet nuts installed:

Had some DynaMat laying around..helps a bit with sound deadening

Panel installed:

Hardware used:

Seat installed:

Easy access when needed!!:

bpd1151

Bravo! Bravo!

Applause

Most impressive custom, one off craftsmanship to the Nth degree.

Well executed kind sir!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

802SHO

Well written and executed! 

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Ecoboost_xsport

Macgyver