• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HOW-TO: 3.5L EcoBoost Make that BBK 70mm TB fit TIGHT!

Started by Ecoboost_xsport, July 12, 2020, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

So Lee at Ortiz Performance hooked me up on a VERY quickly shipped BBK 70mm throttle body (yes, it IS from 1 2005-2010 V6 Mustang).  Been thinking bout this mod but was never 100% sure it fit until I came here.  Anyway,  got it and test fit it to the IM I have sitting on the bench.

Although it is an awesome piece, there were two small details my OCD had issues with.  1) I'll be porting the IM just that small bit to get it to match the TB, but have some concerns about how close it comes to the ring-style gasket groove if I do that and 2) the bolt holes where a bit larger than the hardware and just fit very sloppy.  If you ever wanted it dead-nuts centered, you'd kinda have to eyeball it and tighten it down.  Well, I figured I'd address issue #2.

I had some 5/16" OD 304 stainless tubing laying around and decided to see if there was any sort of "dowel" setup I could do. Lucky for me, the holes in the TB are EXACTLY 5/16".  The OD of the tubing was soooooo snug (insert joke here).  And the ID for the hardware sooooo perfect.  So only problem was...the recessed holes in the IM weren't 5/16".  Well, tubing was easy, measured what I needed and cut a few pieces on the lathe (you only need 2 to center).  Unfortunately, the IM doesn't lend itself to be easily mounted on a table for a mill, so I had to do this one by hand...just took a 5/16" drill bit and sunk it in about 1/4"-3/8" deep.

Slapped the dowels in place, and fit is perfection.  No movement whatsoever, centered exactly to the opening of the IM (which I will now port to match) and all this with some extra tubing laying around and a quick turn of the lathe and some careful drilling.  Viola!

BBK 70mm vs stock.  Stock is 65mm, for those who were wondering.

https://youtu.be/Lc5ka4Ti9Y0

jbrown9999

Did you see any obvious improvements in performance from this?  I have the throttle body already and just havent put it on.  Love the use of the SS tubing.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod