• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

nGauge FAQs

Started by FiveLeeter918, June 29, 2020, 01:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveLeeter918

Now that more tuners are jumping on to HPTuners to combat some of the shortfalls of SCT, we started making some tutorials and instructional guides to help navigate and learn the ins and outs of the nGauge.

Whether you are a current customer with HPTuners, an SCT customer looking to make the switch, or a competing tuner looking to learn how to use the nGauge, we hope this helps :)

If you have any other questions, or can think of additional guides that would benefit the community, let us know!

https://www.ortizperformance.com/faq/categories/ngauge-support
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

StealBlueSho

Is Ortiz tuning SHO's with HPT now? I believe Unleashed is the only other vendor tuning SHO's with HPT.

GhostlyGrenade

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on June 29, 2020, 02:07:23 PM
Is Ortiz tuning SHO's with HPT now? I believe Unleashed is the only other vendor tuning SHO's with HPT.

These guys do as well but I dont know much about their sho experience.

https://www.brewcityboost.com/product-category/ford/2010-2020_sho_3-5_ecoboost/2010-2020_sho_3-5_tuning_engine/
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

StealBlueSho

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on June 29, 2020, 05:55:16 PM

These guys do as well but I dont know much about their sho experience.

https://www.brewcityboost.com/product-category/ford/2010-2020_sho_3-5_ecoboost/2010-2020_sho_3-5_tuning_engine/
I had a BCB tune years ago. Didn't know they went HPT too.

GhostlyGrenade

Sct isn't keeping up anymore. They are good for pre 2013.
2015 SHO Darkside paint color, 3 bar, Motorcraft SP542 plugs@0.28, MSD Coils, K&N drop in, Continental Extreme Contact tires 255/45R20, EBC Yellow pads, 170 T-Stat, Redline 5w30, updated to the 2018+ trans mount, E-30 Blend, TUNED by AJPTurbo

FiveLeeter918

My personal SHO has been HPT tuned since January. It's still an evolving platform and we have several tickets in for adjustments but so far the peace of mind alone and smoothness of operation is worth the changeover. We're still primarily SCT for Ecoboost vehicles but the number of customers switching to HPTuners with either an MVPI2 or the nGauge is steadily increasing.
- Lee

StealBlueSho

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on June 30, 2020, 02:01:37 AM

My personal SHO has been HPT tuned since January. It's still an evolving platform and we have several tickets in for adjustments but so far the peace of mind alone and smoothness of operation is worth the changeover. We're still primarily SCT for Ecoboost vehicles but the number of customers switching to HPTuners with either an MVPI2 or the nGauge is steadily increasing.

I believe a lot of hesitation with moving to HPT was the issue of being able to pull the tunes of cars and steal them. Is this not an issue anymore?

GhostlyGrenade

You can read SCT tunes with HPTUNERS. I think the ngauge is the only way to lock hpt. I really need to get a new vehicle. I've been using the company vehicle for everything but I can't modify it!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on June 30, 2020, 10:27:45 AM
You can read SCT tunes with HPTUNERS. I think the ngauge is the only way to lock hpt. I really need to get a new vehicle. I've been using the company vehicle for everything but I can't modify it!

True, but you can change the strategy with SCT (and probably HPT) which would require a call into HPT to have the tune file unlocked for reading. Not sure how much of a process that is, but that was my understanding.

Ultimately, if HPT provides a better tuning experience with more power developed safely then it absolutely would be the way to go. I know SCT has been lagging behind a lot over the past couple years.

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on June 30, 2020, 10:32:53 AM
Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on June 30, 2020, 10:27:45 AM

True, but you can change the strategy with SCT (and probably HPT) which would require a call into HPT to have the tune file unlocked for reading. Not sure how much of a process that is, but that was my understanding.

Ultimately, if HPT provides a better tuning experience with more power developed safely then it absolutely would be the way to go. I know SCT has been lagging behind a lot over the past couple years.

Yes, that is still a concern with HPTuners. HPT offers the ability to scramble the strategy but it's a $5000 package. We told them we had no problem paying that IF they made the changes we wanted so we could fully utilize the tuning capability, but a las, the ticket is still open 5 months later...
- Lee

GhostlyGrenade

The strategy change is easy to reverse once you know where its stored. The only upside being most users don't have someone to hexedit for them. A good tuner won't lock a file, they don't need to. Ive dumped tons of tunes and compared them and they aren't much different.  The biggest thing is how far some tuners push the limit as far as rich/lean and cylinder pressure/torque limiting. Some tuners tweak a lot more than others but most users probably don't even notice.

I used ajpturbo primarily because he explained everything he saw and did and why.

Think of it this way, you can't steal experience. Knowing what number to type in vs knowing why is huge.

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on June 30, 2020, 11:47:24 AM
The strategy change is easy to reverse once you know where its stored. The only upside being most users don't have someone to hexedit for them. A good tuner won't lock a file, they don't need to. Ive dumped tons of tunes and compared them and they aren't much different.  The biggest thing is how far some tuners push the limit as far as rich/lean and cylinder pressure/torque limiting. Some tuners tweak a lot more than others but most users probably don't even notice.

I used ajpturbo primarily because he explained everything he saw and did and why.

Think of it this way, you can't steal experience. Knowing what number to type in vs knowing why is huge.

The concern is never for the customer, if they want to take an MVPI2 and modify the tune, be my guest just have the integrity to own it if you blow up. The concern is with competing tuners stealing the data when they can't figure something out, I've seen many times where they buy a $150 tune from another tuner who took the time to figure it out themselves and then they run a compare file in VCM Editor to see what is different and copy/paste.

Customers figure this out pretty quick when things don't go as planned, but doesn't stop it from happening.

You can lock the door to your house too, but a determined thief is still going to find a way in. The best we can do is keep the weak ones out.
- Lee

SM105K

A lock keeps most honest men honest.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

GhostlyGrenade

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on June 30, 2020, 01:20:03 PM
Quote from: GhostlyGrenade on June 30, 2020, 11:47:24 AM

The concern is never for the customer, if they want to take an MVPI2 and modify the tune, be my guest just have the integrity to own it if you blow up. The concern is with competing tuners stealing the data when they can't figure something out, I've seen many times where they buy a $150 tune from another tuner who took the time to figure it out themselves and then they run a compare file in VCM Editor to see what is different and copy/paste.

Customers figure this out pretty quick when things don't go as planned, but doesn't stop it from happening.

You can lock the door to your house too, but a determined thief is still going to find a way in. The best we can do is keep the weak ones out.

Its shifty to screw over a user because of competition though.

The same way laws work....for law abiding citizens.  I get it, I just don't like the double edge.

GhostlyGrenade

Quote from: SM105K on June 30, 2020, 01:30:18 PM
A lock keeps most honest men honest.

So either congress has no locks....or...