• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AC Compressor pulley replacement

Started by elund126, June 27, 2020, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

I gave my daughter my 2010 Taurus SHO. I noticed that the AC Compressor pulley was wobbling when the AC engaged and was making some crazy loud noises. Ordered new parts, that arrived earlier this week. I went out to start the car this morning and the motor would not turn over, the starter just clicked and stopped. It was not low voltage. Took the serpentine belt off and confirmed I could turn the crankshaft pulley manually. Started the car no problem without the belt. I also noticed that the AC compressor pulley has seized, which was preventing the engine from turning over. I am trying to remove the AC compressor pulley, but, am having a hard time getting to the bolt. Has anyone successfully changed out the AC compressor pulley? How the heck did you get to the bolt? Thanks in advance.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

6500rpm

I'd make sure that  the compressor itself isn't  locked. If it is, make sure there's  no metal in the system before  putting a new compressor on.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

Macgyver

You need a new compressor. Only way to do it right. Odds are it is smoked.

elund126

I ended up replacing the entire compressor with a reman unit. I also replaced the belt. I ended up buying the A/C manifold gauges from Harbor Freight and got the system all pressurized and filled with coolant (and compressor oil!!). It wasn't too bad of a job, the hardest part was putting the belt back on!
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

Macgyver

Quote from: elund126 on September 28, 2020, 02:17:28 PM
I ended up replacing the entire compressor with a reman unit. I also replaced the belt. I ended up buying the A/C manifold gauges from Harbor Freight and got the system all pressurized and filled with coolant (and compressor oil!!). It wasn't too bad of a job, the hardest part was putting the belt back on!

You didnt have to apply a vacuum to it before adding the refrigerant and oil ?