• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New transmission

Started by MKS Tom, June 09, 2020, 07:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKS Tom

My trans is shot, so I am getting it replaced along with the torque converter under warranty.  Since I bought it it always felt it like it had a rougher 2nd to 3rd shift.  Enough that the day I bought it I asked for a transmission fluid change included with the deal and had changed it again 6 months ago.  Warranty comes though again on another massive bill.  Is there any break in time for a new trans for the PCM/TCM to learn on a stock file prior to putting a tune back on the car? 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

SHOdded

No breakin period specified by Ford per se.  The closest we come to it is the 1,000 mile cautionary period when the vehicle is new.  Although it doesn't usually take more than 200 miles (on the outside) fo rthe PCM to learn the proper adaptives, you could choose to wait out that 1,000 miles to be sure.

The trans is likely to be a remanufactured unit, not a new one, and supposedly "as good as new".  IDK if it wears in the same as factory new tho.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MKS Tom

I assume it is remain.  The cost for this for the warranty company is going to be outrageous.  Hopefully my strategy codes remain the same.  No big deal if not, but that means revs on tunes will be no go and I have to start over again.  I will for sure put some miles on it first before putting a tune back in. 
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

SM105K

Quote from: MKS Tom on June 12, 2020, 08:08:47 AM
I assume it is remain.  The cost for this for the warranty company is going to be outrageous.  Hopefully my strategy codes remain the same.  No big deal if not, but that means revs on tunes will be no go and I have to start over again.  I will for sure put some miles on it first before putting a tune back in.

Nothing changed in my tune when I had my trans replaced.  I didn't have to re-flash anything. However, it took a couple of drive cycles for the trans to start shifting to my liking again. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |