• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

P0020 Code

Started by ridered74, April 03, 2020, 12:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridered74

For the last two months my car was idling a little rough. I figured it was just the plug gaps being a little too stretched out since I hadn't checked them all winter. Last week I got a check engine light when I started the car up and when I pulled the code it was P0020. Checked the wiring for breaks, nothing visible on either so i cleared the code and went about my business. Idle was still rough, about 200 miles later the code came back. Cleared it, came back again the next time I drove it.

To troubleshoot, I removed the plug, put one end of my voltage tester into each plug, then held the engine start button to put it in the "run" position. It read just over 9 volts, so I started bending the wires with my fingers. When I did this the voltage dropped to zero, then would go back to 9 then back to zero.

That told me the issue is the wires, not the solenoid. Next I bent each wire separately and was able to determine that the issue was with the white and orange wire, not the green wire that everyone else seems to have issues with.

I cut both wires so it would be easier to work on the plug and ended up taking the plug apart as far as I could so that I could pull the entire white/orange wire out and rewire it. I also ordered a replacement plug just in case my macguyver fix does not hold up.

So far so good, idle is smooth as silk again and no more resetting the check engine light every single time I drive it.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SHOdded

What year is your SHO?  FoMoCoSHO first reported this fix on his 2015.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ridered74

Quote from: SHOdded on April 03, 2020, 02:41:37 AM
What year is your SHO?  FoMoCoSHO first reported this fix on his 2015.

Mine is a 2015 as well. Must have been a bad year for wiring.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SHOdded

I think you are right!  Always something lol.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!