• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

6 Piston Wilwood UPDATE!!

Started by FiveLeeter918, April 02, 2020, 12:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveLeeter918

So late last year @aaron240 and I announced that we were working together to bring a set of 6 piston Wilwood calipers to the SHO market, and after some roadblocks and adjustments we finally have an installed and road worthy product!

Due to our Shelter in Place order in Oklahoma, I've only driven the car about 20 miles since the install, but plan to get some more miles on it today and get some testing.

After several Dragy attempts, my best 60-0 on stock 2013 PP brakes was 2.75 seconds. I wanted to get some numbers with the R1Concepts kit before installing the calipers, but it just didn't happen. Hopefully we'll see that from @Jordan_R soon since he just installed his a few weeks back as well.

We will be offering this in a few different options, but still working on final pricing:

Option 1 - Calipers, BP-20 front pads, Adapters, and SS Lines

Option 2 - Calipers, front and rear pads, adapters, and SS lines

Option 3 - Calipers, front and rear rotors, front and rear pads, adapters, and SS lines

This kit is setup to work with the factory 13.9" rotor dimensions, so any aftermarket rotors will be feasible. We're testing with R1Concepts slotted rotors with their Ceramic pads in the rear, but still working on defining a rear pad that is spec'd well with the friction coefficient of the front pads. While I would recommend Ceramics for track use, I am having no issues so far on the street.

Any questions, feel free to ask. We are working a on pricing discount to do a group buy for the first order, so stay tuned for final pricing!
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

nickstewartroc

Looks great! Would love to put a set on my Flex
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StinkinLinkin13

Wouldn't this require an upgraded master cylinder as well?
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on April 02, 2020, 07:26:48 PM

No sir, we did a lot of design work and FEA analysis to ensure the surface area was the same only clamping force was improved.

Drove it again today and she feels great, but had my son with me so couldnt get too squirrely.
- Lee

Dxlnt1

This setup designed for use with stock rotor sizes? Or will it require or even be able to use a larger diameter rotor? Surface area just as important as clamping force!
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on April 03, 2020, 07:47:12 PM
This setup designed for use with stock rotor sizes? Or will it require or even be able to use a larger diameter rotor? Surface area just as important as clamping force!

The bracket is designed for stock rotor size. The caliper can be used for up to a 15" rotor, but between the added cost of material and the rotor itself you're looking another $500 for not much added stopping power.
- Lee

Dxlnt1

So when would these be available?

Prices for various packages you mentioned?

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on April 07, 2020, 11:24:52 AM

Given everything going on, I haven't been driving the car near as much as usual (I usually drive 100+ miles a day, but I'm still at half a tank since March 16th). As soon as I can get some aggressive braking checks and measure the changes from stock and then check everything over to ensure no warping or degredation, we'll be releasing final pricing and working on an initial group buy to try to lower costs.
- Lee

Dxlnt1

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on April 08, 2020, 02:21:07 AM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on April 07, 2020, 11:24:52 AM

Given everything going on, I haven't been driving the car near as much as usual (I usually drive 100+ miles a day, but I'm still at half a tank since March 16th). As soon as I can get some aggressive braking checks and measure the changes from stock and then check everything over to ensure no warping or degredation, we'll be releasing final pricing and working on an initial group buy to try to lower costs.

Fair enough! Thanks!

FiveLeeter918

Hey guys, so quick update. I spoke with my supplier and they are offering an additional incentive if we can get 15-20 sets sold, so I am working up some final pricing, install guides, etc. to be able to do the official launch.

I pulled everything off today to inspect and review, had no issues, bolts were still tight with 242 blue loctite,

We have also spoken with the machine shop producing the adapters and they have offered to toss in free black anodizing on our bulk orders to help with corrosion.

I'll be preparing the final release with pricing, 60-0 comparisons between stock and the Wilwood upgrade, and more shortly.

Any questions, feel free to discuss!
- Lee

Nova

I can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Best of luck with the group buy!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

timbo

Depends on the year and which calipers are used.  The Aero 6 (what is designed here) has a caliper that is nearly identical to the stock 2x 47.5mm pistons.  Using the 2013+ cars (or converted 10-12 cars) would yield nearly identical brake feel. 

The 10-12 cars with stock master cylinder could utilize one of the Aero 4 calipers with the larger brake rotors (the piston area equates nearly identical to going from the early to late master cylinder size)

The pad area of the 150mm long pad on the Aero calipers are essentially the same as on the 2013+ stock brakes.

I am very interested in what the price is going to be, but also interested if the possibility of buying just brackets is an option.  Either way, I hope this gets done as it's IMO the way to go.

For those wondering if upgrading to larger rotors is possible...well, it's a radial mount caliper, so just some 1" OD x 7/16" ID spacers will yield however large your heart desires (up to the 15" spec Wilwood advertises).  Just ensure the hat offset is correct.
2011 SHO PP - Mild mods and 13+ Brakes
2018 Explorer Sport - Stock

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: timbo on April 30, 2020, 02:34:40 PM

Depends on the year and which calipers are used.  The Aero 6 (what is designed here) has a caliper that is nearly identical to the stock 2x 47.5mm pistons.  Using the 2013+ cars (or converted 10-12 cars) would yield nearly identical brake feel. 

The 10-12 cars with stock master cylinder could utilize one of the Aero 4 calipers with the larger brake rotors (the piston area equates nearly identical to going from the early to late master cylinder size)

The pad area of the 150mm long pad on the Aero calipers are essentially the same as on the 2013+ stock brakes.

I am very interested in what the price is going to be, but also interested if the possibility of buying just brackets is an option.  Either way, I hope this gets done as it's IMO the way to go.

For those wondering if upgrading to larger rotors is possible...well, it's a radial mount caliper, so just some 1" OD x 7/16" ID spacers will yield however large your heart desires (up to the 15" spec Wilwood advertises).  Just ensure the hat offset is correct.
I replaced everything on the 11 MKS with gen V hardware. It is definitely better but the pedal still lacks the "precision" of the gen V cars.