• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New recommended spark plug

Started by bamsho, March 29, 2020, 06:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamsho

Well since FMC discontinued the SP542 plugs,  I thought the SP578 was the correct one, since the number supercedes the SP542.  Come to find out that I should running M-12405-35T.  Which is basically the plugs for the FORD GT with the EcoBoost motor.  From what I was told that the 542s where fouling out. 

I'll see how the 578s working for now, then switch over.  The 578s are colder than the 534s I was running.

Oh here are the 534s I pulled out, I put new plugs in when I switched tuners.  I had some gap growth of .007.  Plugs where gapped at .026.  I had the same growth when running Livernois tunes. 

First pic is cylinders 1, 2, 3. Second is cylinders 4, 5, 6.

Yes I was told I didn't drive my car very angrily.  Haha
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Dxlnt1

Any update on a verdict on these plugs? I am switching tuners to AJP. So I figure since I am also due I will change ALL fluids and replace plugs.

Also was or did the MSD coils make any improvements?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

TopherSho

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on August 19, 2020, 10:50:44 AM
Any update on a verdict on these plugs? I am switching tuners to AJP. So I figure since I am also due I will change ALL fluids and replace plugs.

I swapped them in,  and for some reason I cannot explain lost a bunch of spark (3-4 points) until i reset the KAM/ECU.  Now that the inexplicable weirdness is solved they have been functionally the same for 60 days.

I plan on pulling the front 3 plugs after my road trip and will report on fouling,  but i suspect fords got this right on the money with the new tip shape.. just hope the don't get to hot at the tip and crack/break the ceramic.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Dxlnt1

Quote from: TopherSho on August 19, 2020, 11:41:34 AM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on August 19, 2020, 10:50:44 AM

I swapped them in,  and for some reason I cannot explain lost a bunch of spark (3-4 points) until i reset the KAM/ECU.  Now that the inexplicable weirdness is solved they have been functionally the same for 60 days.

I plan on pulling the front 3 plugs after my road trip and will report on fouling,  but i suspect fords got this right on the money with the new tip shape.. just hope the don't get to hot at the tip and crack/break the ceramic.

Sounds good. I ordered a set for $5 I think from Summit. Will install and load new new tune/tuner. Ironically, one of the thing AJP (Brad) sent me was to reset the KAM/ECU lol.

Did you install the MSD coils?
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

TopherSho

I did indeed.  I think it is why my last set of plugs lasted longer, hotter tip.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction