• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How To Clean A Foggy Rear View Camera

Started by Dannymack, March 26, 2020, 11:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannymack

I know this bugs way more people than myself so figured I would be the guinea pig and take the risk with this almost $300 part. This only took about 10 minutes once the part was out of the car.

Tools needed:
Sharp Razor Blade

Tiny Flathead Screwdriver (I used a 1.6x40mm)

Super glue or other adhesive

These steps will assume you have already removed the camera assembly from the trunk lid.

Step 1.
Look at the camera and notice the 3 different sections. A black lens body, blue plastic housing and finally a black housing with a plug.

Step 2.
Take your razor blade and run it all the way around the edge between the blue housing and the black plug housing a few times. No need to use a ton of pressure (safer too). Just go around until they start to split apart.

Step 3.
Pull the black plug housing directly backwards off of the blue housing. There are circuit pins that plug into the board and you don't want to bend them.

Step 4. (Sorry no pics of this part)
Take the tiny screw driver and remove the 2 screws holding the camera circuit board to the blue housing. The screws are actually torx, but way smaller than anything most people would have so some pressure on a small flat head screwdriver does the trick too.

Step 5.
Clean that dirty dirty lens.

Step 6.
Reattach the circuit board to the blue housing. Direction doesn't matter as long as the camera is still facing the lense.

Step 7.
Reconnect the black plug housing to the circuit board. Make sure you align the black housing so that the 6 pins for the plug go into the correct spot on the circuit board.

Step 8.
Put some adhesive around the joint between the two housings and let it dry.

Step 9.
Enjoy a clean camera!
2013 MKS EcoBoost Fully Loaded
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

Macgyver

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

X2 -Great job! I think you might need to recalibrate the camera after install. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Dannymack

Quote from: ZSHO on March 27, 2020, 06:46:32 AM
X2 -Great job! I think you might need to recalibrate the camera after install. Z

Everything is reinstalled and working fine. No need to reprogram.
2013 MKS EcoBoost Fully Loaded
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

Jordan

I need this in my life. Maybe I will do it tomorrow! Mines been grimy since I bought it used in 2017 lol.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque