• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

BBK 3.5L/3.7L V6 70MM THROTTLE BODY for 10-19 SHO/FLEX/MKS

Started by autobahn terror, March 26, 2020, 10:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autobahn terror

I hate to be starting yet another Throttle body thread... But I have questions to ask of you smart folks before i decide to spend more hard earn cash on another damn TB.

Are the Throttle Blade Shaft Seals better on the BBK then Stock? Do you have to modify the Wire Harness to accommodate the upside down installation requirement?

Is this damn TB worth the $330+? Here is my problem, If i get on the throttle to hard/fast, I will "overboost" and blow out the Throttle return spring cover. This creates a boost leak, and allow contamination of the Drive by Wire motor assembly, eventually throwing codes and putting the car into limp mode.

From the photos over at Ortiz Motorsports, https://www.ortizperformance.com/product-page/bbk-mustang-v6-70mm-throttle-body-05-10, it looks like the BBK comes without the DBW Motor assembly, which is problem one for me, as the two i have are already missing the Return Spring Cover.

Thoughts?
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

Macgyver

Well most guys would say. Before you see any benefit from a TB. You will break something in the drive line.

autobahn terror

That's funny considering I already have broken a Prop Shaft...

Im looking for reliability in this case, a boost leak is a boost leak, and when it causes the TB to stop functioning correctly and throwing codes, or worse, stick open... Its a problem...

I could have swore I read somewhere on the forum a while back that someone had one but they got rid of it
2014 PP, Dicunzolo Gen2 Mounts, Gear Head Intercooler, EcoPowerParts Charge Pipes w/Meth Bung @1GPH, Hennessy KnN CAI W/RECIRC, Alky controls meth injection, Lightly Ported Intake drilled and tapped for Port Meth Injection 1GPH per Cylinder, XDI EVO HPFP, Deathwerks 340LPH intank LPFP, ATP Turbos, EPP Catless DownPipes, Corsa CAT Back, 160TSTAT, 3BAR MAP, Stock Ignition coils, SP542 plugs .028, UPR Catch Can, MEGAN Coilovers,  Power Stop Z23 Brake Kit, 93octane Dynotune @ 430AWHP/430AWTQ...Soon to be much more

Jordan

I've never heard of anybody having issues on the stock throttle body. Heck, I don't have an upgraded one either. Seems non essential to me.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

FiveLeeter918

To answer the specific questions, no wiring changes needed to accomodate, the reason to flip is actually because in the Mustang orientation the butterfly opens the other direction and the motor is on the outside. Plugs are the same though.

I replaced mine due to the same issue on my stock TB. I was leaking crazy boost from a blown seal in the stock unit, along with the adjuster screw dryrotting and causing a leak as well.

While it offers no performance benefit that I've seen, it is a much better built component.

Even as a dealer I couldn't justify the cost, but managed to find an "open box" item on eBay for $120 so I snagged it. They then lost it and sent me a brand new one for the same price, so it worked out even better.

Hope you get your issues taken care of!
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

autobahn terror

Thanks for the info man, Does it come with a Drive By Wire motor assembly or do i need to move my existing one over?

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: autobahn terror on April 22, 2020, 10:29:36 AM
Thanks for the info man, Does it come with a Drive By Wire motor assembly or do i need to move my existing one over?

You will swap over and calibrate your existing motor to the new body.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!