• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Inner and Outer Tie Rod Links

Started by elund126, August 21, 2013, 03:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

I determined my tie rod links are worn out. I have a '10 SHO with 55k miles on it. I just ordered MOOG inner and outer links (Inner part #EV800776 Outer #ES800222). $132.95 shipped from Partsgeek.com. That's about half the price of O'Reilly's or even Ford OEM parts.

When I get around to putting them on, I will try to remember to take pictures!!
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

jomc111

Definitely get pictures and links are always awesome for the lazy like myself hahah. Links to the product incase of confusion.  Post back up when there on to give a comparo
2009 mazdaspeed 3 Garrett GT3076R//HKS SQV3 blowoff valave//Autotech internals//Pauter rods//CP pistons// ACT 6 puck clutch// Lightened Flywheel//PG tubular manifold//Corksport downpipe// Streetunit racepipe// Greddy Ti-C catback//HKS type 0 Turbo Timer// Manual boost controller// Eibach pro-kit// Koni FSD dampers// JDM yellow fog overlays// COBB short throw shifter// oil filter conversion // BSD //
Parted out - sold
2010 sho -stock -sold
2014 focus st

crashnburn

Are the grease boots still intact? Because my car has 37k and I swear something is loose up there, but Ford Service say otherwise :
If your grease boots are intact, what are the symptoms they had?
2013 SHO PP, No Mods Yet...

elund126

I have a rattling/clunking in the front end when I go over bumps at low speeds. Initially, I thought it could be the sway bar links, but I checked them and there is no play. Then, with the tire on, I shook it side to side (hands at 3 and 9 position) and there is a small amount of play. From what I understand, there should be no play. Also, it makes the same noise I hear when driving.

I will have to get an alignment after I put them on.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

Quote from: jomc111 on August 21, 2013, 03:10:53 PM
Definitely get pictures and links are always awesome for the lazy like myself hahah. Links to the product incase of confusion.  Post back up when there on to give a comparo

Here is link for the inner...
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=moog+ev800776&x=-649&y=-130

And the outer....
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=moog+es800222&x=-649&y=-130
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

crashnburn

I just checked my front tires like you did while having my girl friend hold the wheel. My passenger side is tight and makes no noise, but the drivers side moves a little bit and makes a light clunk noise. Is this what yours is doing?  :'(

elund126

Quote from: crashnburn on August 22, 2013, 02:56:20 AM
I just checked my front tires like you did while having my girl friend hold the wheel. My passenger side is tight and makes no noise, but the drivers side moves a little bit and makes a light clunk noise. Is this what yours is doing?  :'(

Yes! Exactly what mine was doing.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

Quote from: crashnburn on August 21, 2013, 04:37:17 PM
Are the grease boots still intact? Because my car has 37k and I swear something is loose up there, but Ford Service say otherwise :
If your grease boots are intact, what are the symptoms they had?

I'm not sure where you live, but, we have Les Schwab Tires here in Washington. They do alignments along with some other services. If you have a place like that, they might be able to diagnose it for you for free if you want to make 100% sure. The tie rods are essential to keeping a car in alignment, so they deal with these components all the time.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

crashnburn

I'm going to remove all of the wheels to clean inside them and inspect everything on the front end this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

elund126

I have to take my son to the bike shop and show him how to fix his brakes, but when I get back, I will try to take a video of what my front wheels are doing.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

The big brown truck dropped off my Moog inner and outer tie rod ends. Now, I just need to have a day off work and schedule an alignment. I hate having upgrades sitting in my garage in a box!!
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

Quote from: crashnburn on August 22, 2013, 02:17:04 PM
I'm going to remove all of the wheels to clean inside them and inspect everything on the front end this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Just curious if you figured out your noise?
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

elund126

What a difference!! I replaced the outer tie rod ends with the new Moog parts and it drives like a brand new car. No more rattling going over bumps. I didn't have my phone when I was doing it, so, unfortunately there are no pictures.

One note....most of the rattling was coming from the passenger side. Once I removed the end link, I knew exactly why I was having problems....it was completely worn out.

Also, if you are going to do the inner tie rods, which I originally was going to do.....the universal inner tie rod tool I bought from Harbor Freight does not fit the OE inners. Also, Autozone did not have one big enough to loan out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/inner-tie-rod-removal-set-69619.html

So, in the end, I didn't do my inners. I feel confident because when I took the outers off, there was no play at all in the inners.

Anyways, off to get an alignment now.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

SHOdded

On that note, maybe need to have a reference thread on this forum for alignment specs depending on wheel/tire/suspension setup.  To prolong parts service life.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!