• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any Explorer Sport intercoolers available?

Started by Ls2bait, March 06, 2020, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xartic1

Well the intercooler arrived today but I doubt it's going to get installed. Bought it from Amazon as new and here's what I've discovered. The box was open, the bolts for the mounting were out of the bag (bag was ziplock and closed), there is damage to the intercooler and the "M" is missing on the front of the intercooler. It's definitely a Mishimoto but what the hell is going on with this?

Next one is supposed to be delivered by Thursday, along with my aFe intake.

2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

802SHO

Quote from: xartic1 on July 28, 2020, 05:58:09 PM
Well the intercooler arrived today but I doubt it's going to get installed. Bought it from Amazon as new and here's what I've discovered. The box was open, the bolts for the mounting were out of the bag (bag was ziplock and closed), there is damage to the intercooler and the "M" is missing on the front of the intercooler. It's definitely a Mishimoto but what the hell is going on with this?

Next one is supposed to be delivered by Thursday, along with my aFe intake.

Huh almost like someone else returned it and they sent it to you.  Definitely ship it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Ecoboost_xsport

Yeah that's kinda shitty

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

xartic1

Well I made some progress today. I took over 50 bolts/screws out to get to the intercooler. Also removed the actual bumper which involves drilling a few holes and 8 bolts.

The issue I see people having not wanting to do this is the shroud for the condenser/ intercooler needing to be removed. Shown below is the part that interferes.

My condenser has taken a beating as you can see where the bumper cover does and doesn't cover. So what I did was "modify" the shroud .

I'll be covering those spots back up with some semi-flexible clear acrylic I'll drill and bolt down to the shroud.

There's the difference between the two right now. I'm awaiting the replacement that's coming in tomorrow and I work the next 4 days so I'll be doing a little bit installation each night. It does sit right up in place so I don't think I'll have fitment issues.

Also tearing this down, these charge pipes are a joke. I think I'll be buying the Eco Power Parts charge pipes down the road see how many bends and how thin the stock ones are.

Also discovered my driver rear wheel bearing needs replaced after doing a 4 corner brake job today. Timken replacement for $114 isn't bad, considering local Auto parts stores want well over that any brand they offer.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 30, 2020, 12:10:27 AM
Well I made some progress today. I took over 50 bolts/screws out to get to the intercooler. Also removed the actual bumper which involves drilling a few holes and 8 bolts.

The issue I see people having not wanting to do this is the shroud for the condenser/ intercooler needing to be removed. Shown below is the part that interferes.

My condenser has taken a beating as you can see where the bumper cover does and doesn't cover. So what I did was "modify" the shroud .

I'll be covering those spots back up with some semi-flexible clear acrylic I'll drill and bolt down to the shroud.

There's the difference between the two right now. I'm awaiting the replacement that's coming in tomorrow and I work the next 4 days so I'll be doing a little bit installation each night. It does sit right up in place so I don't think I'll have fitment issues.

Also tearing this down, these charge pipes are a joke. I think I'll be buying the Eco Power Parts charge pipes down the road see how many bends and how thin the stock ones are.

Also discovered my driver rear wheel bearing needs replaced after doing a 4 corner brake job today. Timken replacement for $114 isn't bad, considering local Auto parts stores want well over that any brand they offer.
Nice. So you had to cut the core support to take out the stock IC or because its the only way to fit the larger aftermarket IC you got?

xartic1

Well I did it in ordered to not remove the condenser and AC lines. Since my AC works well, I didn't feel like tampering with draining the refrigerant and cleaning up that mess.

Hopefully tonight I can get most of it installed and secured in place.

I just really hope this new intercooler comes with the "M" so there is some indication that it's a modified FMIC, I mean having no damage to it as well is the main part of getting the replacement. Not many people are going to be suspecting this Sport is going to be able to pull on them!

When do you plan on getting you phenolic spacer and manifold setup installed? I'm curious to know if the spacer really does help prevent heat soak better and if there are power gains from the spacer increasing volume too.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 30, 2020, 05:37:58 AM
Well I did it in ordered to not remove the condenser and AC lines. Since my AC works well, I didn't feel like tampering with draining the refrigerant and cleaning up that mess.

Hopefully tonight I can get most of it installed and secured in place.

I just really hope this new intercooler comes with the "M" so there is some indication that it's a modified FMIC, I mean having no damage to it as well is the main part of getting the replacement. Not many people are going to be suspecting this Sport is going to be able to pull on them!

When do you plan on getting you phenolic spacer and manifold setup installed? I'm curious to know if the spacer really does help prevent heat soak better and if there are power gains from the spacer increasing volume too.
Nice! Yeah, just waiting on the spacer to do all that installation. I'm not counting on very big gains tbh. My biggest hope for it is to keep some heat down, and even that, idk how much. It's a bit of am experiment as there isnt much data out there on it. You should see pretty nice gains with that new IC, though. IATs are pretty high. I'm going to be doin the one off install, so I'm still waiting, but I agree, the  charge piping is pretty pathetic. Lol

xartic1

Having lower temps will condense the air more efficiently and having a well made FMIC like Mishimoto will provide less pressure drop at higher RPMs also providing more boost.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 30, 2020, 09:48:17 PM
Having lower temps will condense the air more efficiently and having a well made FMIC like Mishimoto will provide less pressure drop at higher RPMs also providing more boost.
Lol, thank you, yes I'm familiar with how an IC works...

xartic1

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 30, 2020, 09:49:28 PM

Well then why aren't you expecting much of a gain? Seeing the dyno numbers on a SHO with the same mods, the Sports aren't seeing anywhere close to those  numbers and the main limiting factor is our intercooler.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 31, 2020, 05:30:27 AM

Well then why aren't you expecting much of a gain? Seeing the dyno numbers on a SHO with the same mods, the Sports aren't seeing anywhere close to those  numbers and the main limiting factor is our intercooler.

Huh? Not expecting gains? Where did I say that? Not sure what you're talking about. I'm VERY cognizant of how pathetic our IC is and how limiting it is.

I just have WAY bigger plans for my IC setup that I haven't gotten to yet.

xartic1

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 31, 2020, 07:15:52 AM
Quote from: xartic1 on July 31, 2020, 05:30:27 AM

Huh? Not expecting gains? Where did I say that?

Yeah about that, we were talking about the manifold spacers and for some reason I read that this morning as if you were speaking of the FMIC, my fault!

I wanted to get more work done last night since the new Mishimoto came in undamaged and packed differently, as if it was actually new this time. It's still missing the "M" logo on the front, which isn't a big deal but still misrepresented in every single picture of it.  I was going to run and grab some new clamps last night, but couldn't make it to the hardware store yet.

xartic1

Here it is installed.

Had to work today so I wasn't able to do any driving to test temps but that will be tonight. Fits like a glove.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on August 01, 2020, 07:53:29 AM
Here it is installed.

Had to work today so I wasn't able to do any driving to test temps but that will be tonight. Fits like a glove.
Looks good. You should make a parts list of what was actually used. Where'd you order everything from and about how much you spent.

Btw, the bumper crash bar is upside down from the looks of it. At least on mine, that tow hook bolt hole goes on the passenger side. There's a hole in the bumper that allows access to it.

xartic1

Yeah I realized that before I bolted it down but I was just doing a test fit to see if I had any clearance issues.

Mishimoto - MMINT-UJB Universal Intercooler J-Line, Black - $257.52

(1) HPS AJ400-225 6061 T6 Aluminum Joiner Tubing with Bead Roll, 16 Gauge, 4" Length, 2.25" OD, 0.065" Wall Thickness - $16.43

(1) HPS AJ300-250 6061 T6 Aluminum Joiner Tubing with Bead Roll, 16 Gauge, 3" Length, 2.5" OD, 0.065" Wall Thickness - $16.50

(2) Ispeedytech 2.5" Performance 90 Degree Tight Radius hose Cast Aluminum Turbo Elbow pipe 63 mm - $16.99/each

(3) 2.5" ID Straight Silicone Hose Coupler, High Temp 4-Ply Reinforced - 131-06303-0401 - Ticon Industries - $7.45/each

(1) Mishimoto 2.25" to 2.5" Silicone Transition Coupler, Black - $11.00

$357.78 total without taxes and shipping was free.

I did quite a bit of cutting of the shroud but I don't see any detrimental effects of doing so. Also I only went with the Mishimoto fitting because the HPS brand wouldn't of gotten here during the time I wanted to install, not like it matters at all.