• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any Explorer Sport intercoolers available?

Started by Ls2bait, March 06, 2020, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 05:36:16 AM
Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 24, 2020, 12:26:44 PM
Doing more research and starting to wonder if this won't actually work.  Although Tasca lists the parts number are interchangeable..here is a pic of the stock Ranger IC (on the right):

This isn't what the inlet tube of the stock XSport looks like at all, not at all.  Different angles. So I wonder what is going on here...hmmm...

BTW, turns out there a few options out there for upgrade Ranger ICs. Just a few:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/1400-IC-AA-p/1400-ic-aa.htm

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/intercoolers/3-2l-ford-raptor-ranger-everest-mazda-bt50-performance-intercooler/

Raptor Ranger intercooler? That one looks a bit better than stock and looks like it would fit. The Garrett looks like it would be a bit thick.

The Mountune dimensions look like it's only an inch thicker. Gearhead is designing one currently and will release it in late summer if it makes it to the market. Either way it looks like we may have sort of an upgrade.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on the GH one. I've been asking about that one for about a year and a half or so and it's always "still in development". Hell, I just asked last week for an update and asked to be a beta tester if they need one. Anyway, hope it's true, but I'm not putting money on it.

As for thickness we can only go to 3.5 roughly, there isn't much more room than that.

And I only showed that pic to illustrate that, short of figuring out some crazy coupling adjustment with silicone hose, the angles of the inlet and outlet do not match the Explorers. I dont really think the Ford Ranger option will be viable tbh.

But hey, I could be wrong...I guess I'm being pessimistic about it.

I'm going a whole different direction myself. I'm just going one-off and going to have the guy who did my exhaust just do my entire intake system. Minimal silicone connectors but using Wiggins clamp connection points instead. Already in the planning stages but still a ways out for me.

Anyway keep me updated on what you find out.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

802SHO

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 25, 2020, 07:39:53 AM
Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 05:36:16 AM
Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 24, 2020, 12:26:44 PM
Doing more research and starting to wonder if this won't actually work.  Although Tasca lists the parts number are interchangeable..here is a pic of the stock Ranger IC (on the right):

This isn't what the inlet tube of the stock XSport looks like at all, not at all.  Different angles. So I wonder what is going on here...hmmm...

BTW, turns out there a few options out there for upgrade Ranger ICs. Just a few:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/1400-IC-AA-p/1400-ic-aa.htm

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/intercoolers/3-2l-ford-raptor-ranger-everest-mazda-bt50-performance-intercooler/

Raptor Ranger intercooler? That one looks a bit better than stock and looks like it would fit. The Garrett looks like it would be a bit thick.

The Mountune dimensions look like it's only an inch thicker. Gearhead is designing one currently and will release it in late summer if it makes it to the market. Either way it looks like we may have sort of an upgrade.

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on the GH one. I've been asking about that one for about a year and a half or so and it's always "still in development". Hell, I just asked last week for an update and asked to be a beta tester if they need one. Anyway, hope it's true, but I'm not putting money on it.

As for thickness we can only go to 3.5 roughly, there isn't much more room than that.

And I only showed that pic to illustrate that, short of figuring out some crazy coupling adjustment with silicone hose, the angles of the inlet and outlet do not match the Explorers. I dont really think the Ford Ranger option will be viable tbh.

But hey, I could be wrong...I guess I'm being pessimistic about it.

I'm going a whole different direction myself. I'm just going one-off and going to have the guy who did my exhaust just do my entire intake system. Minimal silicone connectors but using Wiggins clamp connection points instead. Already in the planning stages but still a ways out for me.

Anyway keep me updated on what you find out.

Yes, have that guy run everything and make it....from looking at his work it wouldn't be a problem at all for the guy.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

xartic1

If the 2.3L Ranger is the same as the Explorer's and the Raptors just looks a bit thicker, what reason are you thinking that it wouldn't work? The Mountune dimensions also are within the 3.5" you stated we approximately have behind the grille.

I think we would see much more power like the SHO's if we had a better intercooler.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 08:29:37 PM
If the 2.3L Ranger is the same as the Explorer's and the Raptors just looks a bit thicker, what reason are you thinking that it wouldn't work? The Mountune dimensions also are within the 3.5" you stated we approximately have behind the grille.

I think we would see much more power like the SHO's if we had a better intercooler.
Ok, just look at photos of both of them and you will understand what I'm trying to tell you.  Granted, I don't know for sure that it won't fit. All I'm saying is, if you look at both intercoolers (even though they show the same part number), their inlet and outlet tubes are not in the same orientation and their mounting locations look very different. That's not to say there isn't some way to make it work, but it doesn't look plug and play to me.

And yes, I completely agree that a better IC would benefit our platform. My IATs are pretty high right now. Methanol will facilitate that but it would be nice to have a more efficient IC.

I am going the custom one-off route at this point, but it would be intriguing if the Ranger one could fit. I won't be trying it, but if you do, let me know your results. Would be great info to know.

xartic1

I'm starting to think that the Ranger has a different intercooler entirely.

Mountune has the Ranger factor IC listed as 25"L x 9.88H" x 2.48"D.

Partsgeek has the TYC IC listed as 25.91"L x 6.21" H x 2.52"D. Both inlet/outlet tubes are 2.52".

Seems that we had a website misleading with having the Ranger incorrectly listed.

2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 10:29:44 PM
I'm starting to think that the Ranger has a different intercooler entirely.

Mountune has the Ranger factor IC listed as 25"L x 9.88H" x 2.48"D.

Partsgeek has the TYC IC listed as 25.91"L x 6.21" H x 2.52"D. Both inlet/outlet tubes are 2.52".

Seems that we had a website misleading with having the Ranger incorrectly listed.
That's what I've been trying to tell you. Although I didn't get the dimensions you listed, I just took one look at both ICs and saw they were different.

xartic1

Doing some research, Mishimoto J-Line is listed as 22.0" x 7.2" x 3.5". It's not as long but using a 90 degree elbow would probably allow it to fit pretty well. I wonder if that 1" extra height would interfere with anything.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 10:36:24 PM
Doing some research, Mishimoto J-Line is listed as 22.0" x 7.2" x 3.5". It's not as long but using a 90 degree elbow would probably allow it to fit pretty well. I wonder if that 1" extra height would interfere with anything.
Yes, there are 2 explorers I know of using that IC

xartic1

How are their temps looking? With elbows it wouldn't be hard to get the weird angle we have on our stock IC with a silicone elbow.

I'm going to have to take my bumper off this coming week and see what kind of room there is.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 10:38:53 PM

How are their temps looking? With elbows it wouldn't be hard to get the weird angle we have on our stock IC with a silicone elbow.

I'm going to have to take my bumper off this coming week and see what kind of room there is.
[/quote]That idk, I was in contact with one of the guys, but he has since not been responding. So not sure how it is doing. Here's pix I got sent of their setup. I have no details other than this, so not sure on any more than this.

xartic1

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 25, 2020, 10:40:56 PM

That idk, I was in contact with one of the guys, but he has since not been responding. So not sure how it is doing. Here's pix I got sent of their setup. I have no details other than this, so not sure on any more than this.

[/quote]

It would be nice if we could get more information and maybe the links to the pieces he used too. Either way that 1" extra thickness of the core would probably help out quite a bit.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 25, 2020, 10:46:53 PM
Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 25, 2020, 10:40:56 PM

That idk, I was in contact with one of the guys, but he has since not been responding. So not sure how it is doing. Here's pix I got sent of their setup. I have no details other than this, so not sure on any more than this.

It would be nice if we could get more information and maybe the links to the pieces he used too. Either way that 1" extra thickness of the core would probably help out quite a bit.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've been reaching out to him, but he's dropped out of contact, so I have no more info.  If he hits me back, I'll see if he can pass on the info.

xartic1

Well just doing quick math on the core sizes of the two, the stock is 405.471 in^3 and the Mishimoto is 554.4 in^3.

xartic1

I ordered the Mishimoto J-Line and a handful of couplers and elbows. Should have everything in by Wednesday so I plan on taking my old intercooler out to get everything ready for the install on Tuesday.

Will update on results if the fittings I purchased are the correct ones.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 26, 2020, 07:56:44 PM
I ordered the Mishimoto J-Line and a handful of couplers and elbows. Should have everything in by Wednesday so I plan on taking my old intercooler out to get everything ready for the install on Tuesday.

Will update on results if the fittings I purchased are the correct ones.
Nice!