• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Any Explorer Sport intercoolers available?

Started by Ls2bait, March 06, 2020, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ls2bait

I'm seeing aftermarket intercoolers for every ecoboost platform except the explorer. Does anyone know if they make better ones for these? I'd like to get a little more power out of this puppy.

SM105K

I would ask Matt at Gearhead if the SHO intercooler would work.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

Jordan

Quote from: SM105K on March 06, 2020, 01:12:30 PM
I would ask Matt at Gearhead if the SHO intercooler would work.

It does not. No current aftermarket intercoolers that bolt in for the explorer
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

Ls2bait

Well that's a bummer. I'm getting about 14.5 psi now with the tune but the IAT's are definitely climbing.

SuperPete

My buddy sho has 2014 explorer sport actually looking for one, found this guy,  http://csfimports.com/tag/intercoolers/
On eBay they go for $175 shipped

This is same company that makes intercoolers for Gearhead as well,
I just don't know if GearHead tune will benefit out of this IC

2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

97novi2k

Really wish the Gearhead intercooler would work as I want one for my sport as well. What is the big difference as to why it won't work?
2014 Non-PP SHO Dark Side Metallic - LMS V10, PPE Downpipes, Windstorm CAI, 160 tstat, colder plugs

plattcr1

I'm wanting the same!! Spoke with Gearhead the other day and they are apparently in the R&D stages of making a custom fit IC for the Explorer Sport (16-18). Unfortunately, they couldn't give me any time frame, which is disappointing. However, I have had a few good conversations with a very serious Exp mod guy who has installed the Mishi J universal intercooler with minimal bracket mods. Waiting to hear about the performance results to see if I wan t to try this.

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: plattcr1 on May 27, 2020, 07:21:18 PM
I'm wanting the same!! Spoke with Gearhead the other day and they are apparently in the R&D stages of making a custom fit IC for the Explorer Sport (16-18). Unfortunately, they couldn't give me any time frame, which is disappointing. However, I have had a few good conversations with a very serious Exp mod guy who has installed the Mishi J universal intercooler with minimal bracket mods. Waiting to hear about the performance results to see if I wan t to try this.
Matt has been talking about this intercooler for a very long time, lol. I'm not holding my breath....there are a few folks doing some Frankenstein/DIY ones but haven't heard how they are working out just yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: 97novi2k on April 04, 2020, 11:22:35 AM
Really wish the Gearhead intercooler would work as I want one for my sport as well. What is the big difference as to why it won't work?
They are completely different in size, shape, hose routing, bolt up locations. Believe it or not, real estate is at a premium in the XSport...its pretty tight behind that bumper...

Yes, the smaller one is actually the XSport. One of the reasons our IATs are more difficult manage than in the SHO.

OEM intercoolers:

xartic1

So I did discover the 2019 2.3L Ranger has the stock intercooler as the Explorer Sports. Levels makes an upgraded intercooler for the Ranger. I'm awaiting a reply to see the dimensions to see if we have a possible fitment.

I also have my 2.0L EB Fusion Steeda intercooler that I will see how much of a difference it is compared to the stock Sports.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas

Ecoboost_xsport

Quote from: xartic1 on July 24, 2020, 11:59:34 AM
So I did discover the 2019 2.3L Ranger has the stock intercooler as the Explorer Sports. Levels makes an upgraded intercooler for the Ranger. I'm awaiting a reply to see the dimensions to see if we have a possible fitment.

I also have my 2.0L EB Fusion Steeda intercooler that I will see how much of a difference it is compared to the stock Sports.
Hmmm very nice find...let me know what you find out.

EDIT: I just checked out their IC for the Ranger..I'm trying to think how it would work without some included plumbing as the in/out isn't at the same angles to accept OEM couplers.  But went to Tasca to cross-refernce part numbers and you're right, they both have the same number and will fit on each others platform...

The radiator core support looks very different than the XSport one so maybe it won't fit simply because of everything in the way...hmm...really interesting though...

Ecoboost_xsport

Doing more research and starting to wonder if this won't actually work.  Although Tasca lists the parts number are interchangeable..here is a pic of the stock Ranger IC (on the right):

This isn't what the inlet tube of the stock XSport looks like at all, not at all.  Different angles. So I wonder what is going on here...hmmm...

BTW, turns out there a few options out there for upgrade Ranger ICs. Just a few:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/1400-IC-AA-p/1400-ic-aa.htm

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/intercoolers/3-2l-ford-raptor-ranger-everest-mazda-bt50-performance-intercooler/

Macgyver

Getting it coupled up would seem to be the easy part. If that IC could be mounted in the factory spot. You can cut weld buy etc.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com

GotGrip?

Quote from: Ls2bait on March 06, 2020, 04:21:45 PM
Well that's a bummer. I'm getting about 14.5 psi now with the tune but the IAT's are definitely climbing.

The explorer platform from what I've seen with them apart would be incredibly easy to DIY. It would be almost similar to the set up I have a few others like 802 and Aaron, and It didn't look like it would require cutting but I could be wrong. We might end up with one next year and if that's the case, it will go on at the same time as the tune.
2016 SHO Non-PP, GH/AJP E30 Tune,3Bar MAP, K&N Typoon, EPP Noisemaker Delete, H&R Springs, ZEDD SL5 19x9.5, PS Drilled/Slotted rotors, TreadStone TR8C FMIC, SSM Trans Mounts, TCE Custom Catted DPs, FMIC Sprayer, XDI35

Current Dyno: 421/503 (pre-dp/XDI)

xartic1

Quote from: Ecoboost_xsport on July 24, 2020, 12:26:44 PM
Doing more research and starting to wonder if this won't actually work.  Although Tasca lists the parts number are interchangeable..here is a pic of the stock Ranger IC (on the right):

This isn't what the inlet tube of the stock XSport looks like at all, not at all.  Different angles. So I wonder what is going on here...hmmm...

BTW, turns out there a few options out there for upgrade Ranger ICs. Just a few:

https://www.mountuneusa.com/1400-IC-AA-p/1400-ic-aa.htm

https://www.garrettmotion.com/racing-and-performance/performance-catalog/intercoolers/3-2l-ford-raptor-ranger-everest-mazda-bt50-performance-intercooler/

Raptor Ranger intercooler? That one looks a bit better than stock and looks like it would fit. The Garrett looks like it would be a bit thick.

The Mountune dimensions look like it's only an inch thicker. Gearhead is designing one currently and will release it in late summer if it makes it to the market. Either way it looks like we may have sort of an upgrade.
2014 Explorer Sport - Livernois 91 tune, 3 Bar MAP, Bilstein B6's, Dicunzolo Transmission Mounts, Mishimoto J-Line FMIC, AEM Drop In Filter, Steeda Rear Sway Bar, PPE Engineering Catless Downpipes, Reische 170 T-stat
2011 Mustang GT Brembo - Bama 91 tune, Steeda Intake,  LTH, 3" full exhaust with O/R X-Pipe no resonator, every possible suspension component replaced, weighs 3505 with 1/4 gas