• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PPE Downpipes and PTU oil change

Started by SuperPete, February 29, 2020, 11:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPete

Soo, I was doing my oil changes today, was hoping to do my PTU fluid change as well, well, not too fast,
With PPE downpipes it is impossible, I did two with stock downpipes, PPE back downpipes needs to be removed in order to do PTU oil change :((( Suck

https://youtu.be/LWbKxMC2ps8
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

SHOdded

Did you see the howto for PP equipped SHOs?  Might have some tips in that writeup helpful in your situation,.  Or not lol.  Space is at quite a premium with those cooled ptu's.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SuperPete

I am not PP :(
I did change it twice before the PPE downpipes, I know how, it was tight but doable, but now absolutely impossible, Back PPE Catted downpipes needs to be remove in order to do the oil change on PTU

SuperPete

Here is what I decided to do.
I am not willing to remote downpipes every PTU change and I am planing to change every 10-15K, now
I will drill the drain hole on the bottom of PTU, drain that way and fill from the went hole tube.
I will measure my drain amount and fill same exact amount back.
Only downside of me drilling is that I will lose my 2 year warranty on my PTU that I just had replaced by the dealer, but ohh well.
I will make nice video about and do write up.

jims2015

Quote from: SuperPete on March 01, 2020, 11:19:41 PM
I am not willing to remote downpipes every PTU change and I am planing to change every 10-15K, now
I will drill the drain hole on the bottom of PTU, drain that way and fill from the went hole tube.
Only downside of me drilling is that I will lose my 2 year warranty on my PTU that I just had replaced by the dealer, but ohh well.

Didn't the replacement ptu come with a drain plug? I thought all later versions came with one.
2015 PP, Thunderstorm DP & CAI. AlkyControl, Livernois dyno tune

2019 Corvette C7 Z51 A8 No mods

nickstewartroc

Quote from: jims2015 on March 02, 2020, 11:35:13 AM

Didn't the replacement ptu come with a drain plug? I thought all later versions came with one.

The problem is the downpipes are in the way of that drain plug
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune

SuperPete

Quote from: nickstewartroc on March 02, 2020, 11:37:32 AM
Quote from: jims2015 on March 02, 2020, 11:35:13 AM

The problem is the downpipes are in the way of that drain plug

My replaced PTU came without drain plug, I did ask dealer and he says only PP package on Taurus or Explorer comes with drain plug, thats it.
Even if I had drain plug, I still can't get to fill plug, LOL

SHOdded

2013+ Flex has the drain plug as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Chris_Flex

Quote from: SHOdded on March 02, 2020, 03:26:33 PM
2013+ Flex has the drain plug as well.
Wish my 2013 Flex had a drain

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

SHOdded

Another member with a 2013 Flex had reported that it did have a drain plug.  Surprised yours does not, if that is the case.

nickstewartroc

Quote from: SHOdded on March 02, 2020, 06:57:31 PM
Another member with a 2013 Flex had reported that it did have a drain plug.  Surprised yours does not, if that is the case.

I can vouch that my 13' Flex (EcoBoost) has one
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune