• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU, what's inside and why my 26K mi put took a dump

Started by SuperPete, February 20, 2020, 08:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPete

So my PTU took a dump at 26K miles,
Good reminder for everyone to regularly change fluid in your PTU.
Dealer let me keep my PTU and I cracked it open.
What I did not find inside is a bearing, one bearing was completely missing, gone, nothing left of it, gears threaded it all...

Check out the video: https://youtu.be/tMQoKxNdW0s
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

TopherSho

The video is awesome.  Nice to see the internals since Ford would not let me keep mine when it died at 65k.  But 25k seems super early to eat a bearing.. did it have the original fluid?  I ask because my theory is shitty manufacturing of the ptu allows contaminants into the fluid or the ptu body before its filled.. and that's why we see such a WIDE range of mileage failure for both tuned and non-tuned ptus..

:(  The PTU from 2010 to 2012 is as bad as the dry DSG... yet no recall or free coverage.  Super pissed at ford still ..
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SuperPete

It was original, then I changed it twice once I started noticing the smell, it died 1K miles after my two changed, I guess they did not save it, distraction was already in action.
Now, my theory is excessive idling time. I purchased the car from private party and he would have car idle all the time, allot, every time I come see the car, he had it just idling as he parks. But thats just my thoughts, also it is possible that they maybe under filled by the factory, because first change I was able to only get 12oz out of it, it's ether got overheated and evaporated or under filled.
But anyway, ford should have the drain plug on ALL OF THEM and add that to maintenance schedule every 25K miles, problem solved...

SHOdded

25K in 6 years.  Dunno what kind of life it lived.  But I still maintain that 2013+ PTUs have had an apparently higher failure rate than 2010-2012.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

6500rpm

Typically  the units I've seen that failed at work (X SPORTS) have a lot more gear damage and the fluid is more like tar (I know you've  changed yours). I'm  more prone to think yours failed  from torque  but that's  pure speculation.  And you're  right, heat is the devil and that's  one + on the PP unit. Next time I'm under mine I need to see where the delta's on the belly  pan line up, probably a simple  fab to get more air flow around  it. I thought I'd  seen it posted about the case flexing under high torque conditions but not much we can do about that. Thanks for showing the guys a look inside, not much to them.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SuperPete

I had my PTU fail before all the mods, right after I got the car and had chance to do anything to it, so it's not the over power for sure, it was stock..

I also have bottom undercarriage plastic panel removed for better air flow

StealBlueSho

Nicely done!!!! Very well articulated and great video on how to maintain the PTU! The SHO's with the Performance Package has the drain plug on the bottom which is nice for sure. If you search around, you will see a lot of pictures of that bearing your missing completely disintegrated.

Side note: They changed the design on the 2016+ MY PTU's to prevent that bearing from being eaten. And thus far, you see a lot less PTU's being replaced. This information was provided by Jessica Livernois (no affiliation with LMS) who is a senior ford tech who deals specifically with these.

SuperPete

I heard about new PTU revision and I was talking to the ford dealer when they were ordering me a replacement, they told me that new PTU I got installed is newest revision, so I should be good.

TopherSho

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on February 22, 2020, 10:40:20 AM
Nicely done!!!! Very well articulated and great video on how to maintain the PTU! The SHO's with the Performance Package has the drain plug on the bottom which is nice for sure. If you search around, you will see a lot of pictures of that bearing your missing completely disintegrated.

Side note: They changed the design on the 2016+ MY PTU's to prevent that bearing from being eaten. And thus far, you see a lot less PTU's being replaced. This information was provided by Jessica Livernois (no affiliation with LMS) who is a senior ford tech who deals specifically with these.

Are the newer builds compatible with previous gen Sho's?  Probably should just order one now to replace the one that will blow up in 50k
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

SHOdded

yes, just have to get the right one for your SHO.  2010-12 are all the same.  2013+ two different versions - nonPP an PP.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

FWIW- Performance package-SHO - Fit Note: SHO Package 1
Production Date: 07/2012-01/2016
.Z

Ford Part No- DG1Z-7251-D
Power Take Off Assembly

Ford DG1Z-7251-D Power Take Off Assembly
Base No.   7251
Part Description   Power Take Off Assy
Replaced By   DG1Z-7251-F
$697.26

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-power-take-off-asy_dg1z-7251-d.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=transfer-drive-case,,7251

Power Take Off
Part #: 7251

Ford Parts Logo
Usage: 07/16/2012 - 01/17/2016, Taurus, LHD 4WD (FTD), SHO, SHO Package 1
Section: Transfer Drive Case
In Stock
Your Price: $939.55

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/other-electrical-related-parts/power-take-off-assy-7866327-1

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Dannymack

This actually brings up a question I've been mulling over since I know my ptu is on its last leg.
1. Will a 2013 pp ptu fit a 2013 non pp car? Obviously there are some lines, etc, but size wise are they the same.

2. Will a 2016+ unit fit into a 2013?
2013 MKS EcoBoost Fully Loaded
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on February 22, 2020, 08:11:02 PM

FWIW- Performance package-SHO - Fit Note: SHO Package 1
Production Date: 07/2012-01/2016
.Z

Ford Part No- DG1Z-7251-D
Power Take Off Assembly

Ford DG1Z-7251-D Power Take Off Assembly
Base No.   7251
Part Description   Power Take Off Assy
Replaced By   DG1Z-7251-F
$697.26

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-power-take-off-asy_dg1z-7251-d.html?Vin=1FAHP2KT5DG183206&Filter=()&Location=transfer-drive-case,,7251

Power Take Off
Part #: 7251

Ford Parts Logo
Usage: 07/16/2012 - 01/17/2016, Taurus, LHD 4WD (FTD), SHO, SHO Package 1
Section: Transfer Drive Case
In Stock
Your Price: $939.55

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/other-electrical-related-parts/power-take-off-assy-7866327-1

/facepalm/ of course mine is 50% more expensive. ugh ty sir ...

oh wait waaiiittt   > https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-power-take-off-assembly-at4z7251g/?c=Zz10cmFuc2Zlci1jYXNlJnM9dHJhbnNmZXItY2FzZSZpPSZyPSZhPWZvcmQmbz10YXVydXMmeT0yMDEwJnQ9c2hvJmU9My01bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

rev-g ????

SHOdded

the dealer will send you the latest revision even if not so listed on the website.