• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

10ECOMKS '10 MKS Build / Maintenance Thread

Started by 10ECOMKS, February 19, 2020, 10:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

10ECOMKS

I recently purchased a '10 MKS with about 24K miles from the original owner. This is going to be a record of my build and maintenance.

My plan for initial performance upgrades is fairly basic (I call it Phase 1)
Reische 170 deg T-stat (INSTALLED 2/22/20)
Motorcraft SP-542 plugs
3 Bar MAP sensor
PPE catted downpipes (Installed wrapped and coated 5/12/20)
SCT Livewire TS+ / Tunes
(decided against any air intake upgrade for Phase 1)
Trans Torque Mounts (INSTALLED 3/11/20) (SSM)
Added PTU Drain Plug 5/12/20

I have an idea for Phase 2 and Phase 3

I have all the maintenance records for the car. It was always brought to the same dealer. The records are, although religious, only engine oil / filter changes so I will be performing additional maintenance.

As of 2/19/20
Fresh Motorcraft 5W-20 Synth Blend w/ Motorcraft FL-500S Filter
Replaced air flap actuator behind glove box Motorcraft PN: AA5Z-19E616-C
Replaced cabin air filter Motorcraft PN: FP-68
Replaced serpentine belt Gates PN: K060448
Replaced 1 missing frame clip Ford PN: W716006*S439 for plastic under engine pan

Update 2/22/20
Installed Reische 170 deg T-stat. Installed new gasket (Stant PN: 27290) that came with T-stat. Torqued (2) housing bolts to 102 in-lbs. Drained system and filled with new Specialty Green Coolant (VC-10A2) mixed 50/50 w/ distilled. Got about 6L out, coolant was as clean as can be. Re-filled slowly w/ right side of car jacked up and had no issue with an air pocket

Update 2/26/20
Installed new Motorcraft engine air filter (PN: FA-1884). I'm not convinced I need to upgrade any part of the OEM intake for Phase 1, so for $12 it got a fresh OEM filter.

Update 3/11/20
Installed SSM Trans torque mounts, adjustable rear, Hybrid bushings.

Update 5/12/20
Installed PPE Catted DPs wrapped and coated
Installed PTU drain plug and modified vent assy for under hood fill (Using RedLine 75W 140)

SM105K

First things first.  Replace the coolant, PTU, and RDU fluids. 

Post one will answer some of the technical questions.

https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/sm105ks-ownership-performance-maintenance-thread.138235/
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

10ECOMKS

Quote from: SM105K on February 20, 2020, 08:51:33 AM
First things first.  Replace the coolant, PTU, and RDU fluids. 

Post one will answer some of the technical questions.

https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/sm105ks-ownership-performance-maintenance-thread.138235/

Thanks SM105K, I've already picked up Motorcraft Specialty Green coolant and have my new T-stat. If all goes to plan, that will happen this weekend.
I do plan on adding a drain plug to the PTU when installing the DP's. I'm interested to see how the fluid looks after 24K miles. I'd consider sending a sample for analysis if it's something that Blackstone can give worthwhile feedback on.

SM105K

Cool cool.  I am a big fan of the Redline Lightweight Shock Proof Fluid for the PTU and RDU. You will notice a big difference in just ride feel.  Also, I have had really good luck with Castrol Edge and a Motorcraft filter.  They are dirt cheap from Walmart.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SHOdded

Blackstone is always worthwhile.  Given that your MKS already has miles on it, some of the results for the first 2 reports will not be so good, as the goo gets cleaned out by new fluids.  But it should trend down, and that is what we are looking for.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

10ECOMKS

Quote from: SM105K on February 20, 2020, 10:24:04 AM
Cool cool.  I am a big fan of the Redline Lightweight Shock Proof Fluid for the PTU and RDU. You will notice a big difference in just ride feel.  Also, I have had really good luck with Castrol Edge and a Motorcraft filter.  They are dirt cheap from Walmart.

I just did some reading on the Redline Lightweight Shock Proof Fluid. I see why you're a fan. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW...great avatar  ;D

Quote from: SHOdded on February 20, 2020, 10:29:36 AM
Blackstone is always worthwhile.  Given that your MKS already has miles on it, some of the results for the first 2 reports will not be so good, as the goo gets cleaned out by new fluids.  But it should trend down, and that is what we are looking for.

Thanks for the heads up on the first couple reports SHOdded. I'll definitely send samples of each PTU fluid change then. I've been using Blackstone for engine oil analysis on my diesel truck for years and have always been happy with their service and reports.

SuperPete

2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

10ECOMKS

Quote from: SuperPete on February 20, 2020, 06:24:21 PM
Good stuff, keep it coming

Hey SuperPete, Thanks for the encouragement. I actually was reading your build thread before I had posted mine. I cringed reading that your PTU gave up at 25K. I'm just under that now, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't find any surprises when I drain mine. I just ordered my PPE catted DPs so I'll be changing the fluid and adding a drain plug in 4 to 6 weeks when they show up. I am considering wrapping them like you did to keep the heat away from the PTU.

10ECOMKS

Updated 3/11/20

Installed Trans Torque Mounts. Decided on SSM for bushing options. Using "Hybrid" set-up. "Gen 4" bushings in front mount (Daystar M03083), "Street" bushings in the rear mount (Daystar M02957). I ordered the adjustable rear mount for proper fitment vs. the fixed length mount which I had issues with. (not a fault of SSM). I did not order with grease fittings, but did add Permatex Dielectric Grease during mount assembly. Torqued all (4) 15mm bolts to 66 ft/lbs & 76 ft/lbs and had no problem with any bolts hitting the Dps (currently stock).

There is slight but noticeable NVH from this set-up,  slightly at idle, but more at lower RPMs (1200-1500) under light/med load (like hills). I'll see if this is reduced after putting some miles on. I did get an additional set of Street bushings for the front mount that I will probably swap in at some point to compare NVH, but I  wouldn't want any additional NVH then I currently have. There is also additional noise which some seem to like, but I personally don't find it to be an appealing addition. To my ear it sounds like exactly what it is.

The upgraded torque mounts do exactly what others have stated. Shifts feel MUCH better, the sloppiness is gone, and launches are VERY consistent.  My car is currently stock and I'm very happy with the upgraded performance of this mod. I can only imagine what a difference these torque mounts will make once I've turned up the power which would only magnify the shortcomings of the stock mounts.

The car isn't my DD. I'm choosing to modify it for performance. So, for me the positives of this mod outweigh what I consider the negatives...NVH and noise, which in all honesty aren't that bad, and most will find easy enough to get used to.

10ECOMKS

Update 5/12/20

Installed PPE Catted Downpipes 130001
Included 1 piece rear pipe, 2 piece front pipe w/ clamp, 2 flex pipe gaskets, bolts and washers for flex pipes.

Additional Parts:
Ford Cat to turbo gaskets PN: AA5Z-6L612-A
Ford turbo to Cat studs (torque to 18 ft/lbs) PN: W712829-S900S
Ford nuts for studs (torque to 30 ft/lbs)  PN: W714265-S441
Flex pipe to exhaust bolt torque 30 ft/lbs
Thermo Tech Exhaust wrap 2inx50ft (1 pkg covered both) PN: 11002
Thermo Tech Exhaust wrap coating (1 can covered both) PN: 12002
304 stainless hose clamps 6" and 3"

I had to slightly trim the axle shield, but other than that the PPE pipes fit excellent even with the added bulk of the exhaust wrap.

I will write up my install notes with some pics when I get some time.

While I had the DPs out I also drilled and tapped to install a drain plug in the PTU and modified the vent adding a separate fill hose.

I collected a sample of the original 24000 mile fluid to send to Blackstone. I got about 16oz of pretty black gear oil out of the PTU.

Flushed it out 3 times to make sure any shavings from drilling and tapping were out and drove about 5 miles on the 4th fill. It was already black. Drove on the 5th fill for 30 miles and drained. It was very black again. Ill put 200 miles on the 6th fill. I'm only able to fill about 16oz each time before it starts to come out the fill hole on the side of the PTU. I fill the PTU through 1/4" ID fuel hose that is tee'd off the vent extension hose. The fill hose is run up by the battery for easy under hood filling. To fill it you still have to remove the old PTU fill plug as a vent  so the the oil will flow in, but it is still easily accessed through the passenger front wheel well with some long extensions even with the PPE catted wrapped DPs. I'm currently using Redline 75W 140 oil.

Parts:
V-twin manufacturing 1/4-18 NPT mag drain plug PN: 37-8961
Ford Extended Vent Assembly PN: AG1Z-7034-B
5ft 1/4" ID .5" OD fuel hose
Stainless 3 way 1/4" hose barb Tee
304 Stainless fuel injection line clamps 11mm-13mm
1/8" Drill Bit
7/16" Drill Bit
1/4-18 NPT Tap

I will also write up my install notes with some pics when I get some time.

A few quick pics....

SM105K

I like it.  I am probably going to add a drain to mine even though I have a PP.  That looks so much easier.  I will change my PTU fluid at 80K.  Currently sitting at 76.5K, so maybe I will get to it this year.  Lol.

10ECOMKS

Quote from: SM105K on May 13, 2020, 11:00:13 AM
I like it.  I am probably going to add a drain to mine even though I have a PP.  That looks so much easier.  I will change my PTU fluid at 80K.  Currently sitting at 76.5K, so maybe I will get to it this year.  Lol.

It is convenient. There's still enough room between the wrapped DPs and the drain plug that you can remove the plug and hold a funnel under it (I'm using a blue longer narrow style funnel) at an angle and direct the oil right into a drain pan. It's pretty clean. If I didn't have wrapped DPs I wouldn't care, but I cover them with some aluminum foil to prevent any oil from getting on the wrap. It's necessary during filling when the oil start to drip out the old PTU fill plug.

I just ordered some H&R springs. The car just sits so high from the factory, it's a little ridiculous. TireRack had them on "clearance" for $204 so they made me buy them.  ;D

MKS Tom

Has the NVH reduced on your mounts after a few months?
2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

10ECOMKS

Quote from: MKS Tom on May 16, 2020, 10:52:02 AM
Has the NVH reduced on your mounts after a few months?

I've probably only drivin the car 150 or so miles since installing the mounts. In my head I want to say it may have settled slightly. Maybe I'm just getting used to it, or excepting it, but no question it still exists. Luckily the interior of my car is pretty tight, so I have no annoying rattles from it, but If you have loose  peices on/in your dash I could see cursing the mounts everytime you're in that 1200 1500 ish rpm range.