• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Duel injection washing effect vs methanol-a real life look (Meth pictures wanted

Started by 6500rpm, February 11, 2020, 06:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6500rpm

Fleet work brings almost all every make my way, all vehicles under 2 years and most under 40,000mi. The one thing that I've seen across all makes (some worse than others) is intake valve coking on DI engines. Unfortunately I haven had a opportunity to check my SHO yet, but I did a engine replacement on a 2019 5.0L Mustang GT this week that runs the Duel Injection (DI +Port) and the proof is in the picture. This engine had 28,000 miles on it when it took it's last breath but take a look at the intake valve-absolutely spotless!

If any of you guys running methanol have picture stored of your intake valves or get a chance to in the future, please post up. I'd really like to see if the cleaning effect of the methanol is anywhere close to what I'm seeing on the new dual injection cars. I'm on the fence about adding methanol based on my daily driving needs, but if it's the only thing we have that's close to duel injection for our platform and if it's even close I'm in.

2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

ZSHO

Great Topic indeed!  :)  I would @ the very least add an OCC to the mix if your concerned about Blow-by since the DI are prone to run dirty..  Adding some GDI intake cleaner via intake Plenum @ every 24k mile interval in conjunction with some BBK or Chevron with techron fuel system cleaner @ every oil change would certainly be ideal. Need to get a boroscope to see what actually is going on inside the internal combustion chamber! I will certainly post pics once I gain access to a boroscope..

I have been side-lined with some sort of viral bug for quite some time now.  :(
But in the meantime Thanks for your contribution. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SM105K

I am pretty sure that BPD has pictures of his valves when he had his motor torn down.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

bamsho

Quote from: SM105K on February 12, 2020, 08:55:43 AM
I am pretty sure that BPD has pictures of his valves when he had his motor torn down.

His valves are pretty close to those pictured.  I need to scope my motor to look at mine.  I've sprayed more meth than Mike due to my track time.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

HD-Rugby

Quote from: ZSHO on February 11, 2020, 09:59:09 PM
Great Topic indeed!  :)  I would @ the very least add an OCC to the mix if your concerned about Blow-by since the DI are prone to run dirty..  Adding some GDI intake cleaner via intake Plenum @ every 24k mile interval in conjunction with some BBK or Chevron with techron fuel system cleaner @ every oil change would certainly be ideal. Need to get a boroscope to see what actually is going on inside the internal combustion chamber! I will certainly post pics once I gain access to a boroscope..

OCC? Recommendation? I think I know where the intake Plenum is but what GDI cleaner would you recommend. I've got Sea Foam spray but I do spray and 50-50 mix of seafoam and water into my carburetors for my Harleys's. It does a nice job on the valves and everything else... I have to run them rich because it's high compression and an air cooled motor. Thank You Sir

SHOdded

JLT has become pretty popular with Ecoboost lovers lately, so worth a look.  Or UPR.  Or build your own with kits found on Amazon, eBay, and the like.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Quote from: HD-Rugby on February 13, 2020, 07:41:06 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on February 11, 2020, 09:59:09 PM

OCC? Recommendation? I think I know where the intake Plenum is but what GDI cleaner would you recommend. I've got Sea Foam spray but I do spray and 50-50 mix of seafoam and water into my carburetors for my Harleys's. It does a nice job on the valves and everything else... I have to run them rich because it's high compression and an air cooled motor. Thank You Sir

I had the Ford dealer perform an induction system cleaning many years ago using Valvoline VPS 2 Part fuel Kit due to a rough idle for $99.00 IIRC..
They recommended this procedure every 24K part of a routine preventive maintenance against early stages of carbon buildup..
I would not recommend having this procedure performed on high mileage vehicles IMHO and don't need debris of carbon entering the turbo fins and should use at your own risk. Z

https://www.valvoline.com/recommended-auto-services/fuel-and-air

https://www.autocarevideo.com/video/valvoline-easygdi-how-to-perform/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|