• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Updating SCT BDX tuner.

Started by SuperPete, February 02, 2020, 09:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPete

So, I have SCT BDX, been using it for some time, I see that updates comes up every time I plug in to my PC.
Been reading that in order to update it I have to return in stock setting? What is that mean? Put car back to stock? BDX back to stock?
Thank you
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

ZSHO

I have the X4 and that would suggest to return the device to stock settings! Z

On the X4 you should download (device updater) from sct and hookup the device and select automatic update and get it up to speed.
I'm hoping others will chime in..

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

I have never returned the X4 or X3 to stock while updating software, never had a problem.  Here, I am talking about the SCT software, not the tune.

Now if there is a tune update available, the prudent thing to do is to return the vehicle to stock.  To do that, make sure the X4/BDX/etc is uptodate on the SCT software/firmware first.  Return the vehicle to stock.  THEN download the tune to the vehicle.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SuperPete

Ok, so every time I get new tune from Matt, I need to return vehicle to stock, then update?
2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

SHOdded

You don't HAVE to, it is an extra step that is a good precaution to take, and the SCT recommended way.  Really, you are overwriting one tune with another, whether the previous tune came from Ford or from your vendor.  Still, better safe than sorry.

Some advice in this thread from people who have BTDT -
https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/sct-dont-do-this.81362/post-1157730
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: SuperPete on February 03, 2020, 11:01:01 AM
Ok, so every time I get new tune from Matt, I need to return vehicle to stock, then update?

I personally always recommend returning to stock before updating. If you brick the handheld, you'll need to send it to SCT for unlock, and then you'll lose connection with your pcm and it'll require having the PCM reflashed by Ford (2 hours of labor) to return to factory.

It's an extra step but saves a lot of headache, especially with how buggy these things are since the EPA got involved.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

MKS Tom

2013 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 70,000 miles.  3 bar map 93 tune (E30 in the future) by both AJP Turbo and Ortiz Performance.  PPE catted down pipes, EPP dual CAI (not yet installed so K&N drop in), .026 gapped SP542, 170 degree thermostat, Dynomax axlebacks, and Power Stop Z23 pads and rotors.

TopherSho

Quote from: MKS Tom on April 22, 2020, 10:23:16 AM

LOL *this*

I have personally had my 2015 SCT handheld brick on update of the SCT handheld.   They (SCT) opened a TeamViewer session on my Windows box and unbricked it and reset the marry bit.  Not a big deal.

I have also had issues in the past where a return to stock and re-apply the same tune solved weird wastegate issues on a incremental tune update... (btw i have had dozens of Brad tunes and never had this issue)

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on April 21, 2020, 11:14:33 AM

I personally always recommend returning to stock before updating. If you brick the handheld, you'll need to send it to SCT for unlock, and then you'll lose connection with your pcm and it'll require having the PCM reflashed by Ford (2 hours of labor) to return to factory.

It's an extra step but saves a lot of headache, especially with how buggy these things are since the EPA got involved.

Once you have all your tunes on the handheld and it acts or does what it should.. You car is not being worked on. Why bother to update the handheld to the latest revision when it is "Working as Intended" ?

I can understand the flash to stock for sure and then flash to a new tune.

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: Macgyver on April 23, 2020, 09:49:20 PM
Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on April 21, 2020, 11:14:33 AM

Once you have all your tunes on the handheld and it acts or does what it should.. You car is not being worked on. Why bother to update the handheld to the latest revision when it is "Working as Intended" ?

I can understand the flash to stock for sure and then flash to a new tune.

Depending on how old your handheld is, we've often seen issues trying to datalog because the firmware has not been updated.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!