• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tablet specs to look for to use w/ Forscan and tuning

Started by 6500rpm, January 30, 2020, 08:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6500rpm

I'm going to pick up a tablet within the next few days to use almost exclusively for Forscan Extended License and tuning (car stuff). I have a OBDLink LX Bluetooth dongle that I've been using with my phone Forscan lite for some minor stuff and have Ford IDS access at work.
Back on subject, Hyundai, Kia, and Chrysler wiTECH scan tools that we use at work have all gone with Samsung tablets which has worked really well in the confines of the car and I can only guess all three manufacturers chose Samsung for a reason so I'm going with that as my manufacturer. Are there any particular specs I should look for in a tablet in terms of storage capacity 16/32 MB and Memory (Ram)?

I'll be talking with Gearhead on a tune soon after and this is and buying the Forscan Extended License version. Bestbuy has a couple tablets I've looked at (10") for under $200, my understanding is that the OBDLink LX dongle runs as fast as the cars data speed but have no clue other than to look at the specs on the tablets at work to get a feel for what I need to data log. My aging Windows 7 laptop can still probably handle everything I need, but the tablet is much easier to use in a car.

Thanks for your suggestions,
MB

I'll throw this out there too, Ford IDS rocks, why they're replacing it with the new FDRS scan platform is beyond me........
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHOdded

You only need more RAM/faster processor if you are datalogging extensively, like I do.  If you are mainly scanning for codes or programming the vehicle, don't need much.  Don't even need the latest and greatest version of Bluetooth.  Anyhoo, BT implementation will vary by actual device as to how reliable the connection is, from a datalogging perspective. For other functions, good to go.

The LX does not access the MS-CAN bus, so if you are doing changes to audio/entertainment systems for example, it will not work.  You need the MX or MX+ for that.  Or you could go hardwired with their latest product, the EX.
https://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

6500rpm

Thanks SHOdded, I ended up going with a Samsung S2 32GB  (expandable) w/ 3 GB SDRAM. It's the same OEM tablet that Hyundai and Kia use for their GDS scanner. I'm used to it from work, it's been flawless for about 3 years now (work),and it was priced right at $240 on Amazon.
Thanks for the info on the MX, I wasn't aware of the LX limitation before you posted so time for a dongle upgrade too. Fun stuff. Working fleet I have factory equipment for just about everyone under the sun there, it's going to be nice to have something to tinker with at home. The 9.7" tablet is way easier to use inside the car than a full size laptop.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHOdded

Congrats!  Generally, Samsung has worked out well for me.  That Bluetooth tho ... it has been a love/hate relationship LOL.  I plan to get a Windows tablet at some point so I can run Forscan for Windows on it if I wanted.  I have a laptop, but like you said, it is somewhat burdensome for regular use.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!