• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Friction modifier in rear end

Started by Mksmark, January 24, 2020, 04:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mksmark

Does the RDU need this with the 2 quarts of 80-90w? Can`t seem to find any info on this.

SHOdded

No.  The clutch pack is sealed, and only the gears are serviced with fluid.  Use a quality fluid like Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline Lightweight Shockproof.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Mksmark

Well I finally got my ass under the car to find out that the RDU is puking out gear lube from the top breather. Looks like a nightmare to remove the rear cover or the refill plug. To me it looks like I need to remove the entire exhaust from the cats back as its all welded up. The clutch pack looks fine from the outside but wow are those half shafts and drive shafts dinky or what? I just changed out my Mustang GT`s half shafts with Ford performance shafts and they look like twice the size of these. I have no noise or loss of power right now but it needs attention. What do you guys think, Toast or clean it up and refill?

SHOdded

clean up and refill.  check fluid you drain out.  If the shiny bits are all fine-sized, that is just breakin stuff, nothing to worry about.  IF you have nuggets or chunks, THAT would be something to worry about.  In the absence of any untoward sound, best practice is to drain/fill at short intervals until the fluid comes out clean.

You did not state the MY, but I believe it is around 34 oz capacity.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Macgyver

Quote from: SHOdded on January 25, 2020, 02:39:49 AM
No.  The clutch pack is sealed, and only the gears are serviced with fluid.  Use a quality fluid like Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline Lightweight Shockproof.

Did I get the wrong Fluid ? Redline's website and other posts said this was a good alternative to Amsoil $$$.

Obviously I got PTU and RDU in the pic.

SHOdded

Nope works fine.  But if you exercise the RDU, LWSP is the better choice.  The SAE weighted oil does not have the detergency (among other things) to keep the gear surfaces clean.  Nor the moly to help prevent wear (though moly is not often used in gear oils anyway).  Not sure on the extreme pressure (EP additive) quality comparison tho.

Macgyver

Gotcha. PTU has been done twice so far. RDU has not. 47k. I will be doing them again next spring regardless of miles so "Cheaper" flushing oil is better to me.

Maybe next year a slightly better grade.

Mksmark

Quote from: SHOdded on March 25, 2020, 02:33:55 PM
clean up and refill.  check fluid you drain out.  If the shiny bits are all fine-sized, that is just breakin stuff, nothing to worry about.  IF you have nuggets or chunks, THAT would be something to worry about.  In the absence of any untoward sound, best practice is to drain/fill at short intervals until the fluid comes out clean.

You did not state the MY, but I believe it is around 34 oz capacity.

Oh its a 2012 MKS with 101k. Do you think the exhaust should be dropped for this or work around it. Looks like there is another exhaust hanger welded right where the fill plug is too just to add to the fun. I bought the Motorcraft SAE 80-90 oil as I like to keep it all Ford. I have herd that there are compounds in these oils that work with the seals and barrings and are Ford specific. I bought the car with 69k and no history on fluid changes.   

SHOdded

Not sure on the MKS.  Someone who has done the work will have to speak to it ...  Probably has no drain plug, so should not have to drop the exhaust.  I think I saw a video on YT for an MKS, but I could be wrong.

nickstewartroc

As far as the half shafts being small, keep in mind with the torque coupler, it will only send out about 150ft/lbs to the rear
Current:
2013 Ruby Red Flex Limited EcoBoost, Unleashed Tuned, drop in filter

Gone but not forgotten: 2011 SHO Non-PP in Black Tuxedo Metallic - Catback, DPs, Stoptech Z23s, MDesign CAI, LMS Tune