• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2010 SHO EPAS / Rack & Pinion Noise

Started by guitar333, January 19, 2020, 12:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar333

Hey guys,

Lately my car has been making what sounds like a severe tire rubbing noise when turning either direction.
Got it on a lift yesterday and it's definitely the steering making the noise....
I'm hoping I don't have to replace the whole rack/pinion unit...but it seems likely.

Aside from the noise, it seems to steer fine and no alarms/codes. I doubt it but it sounds like something needs lubed or serviced, bad.
I did replace the whole suspension a few months ago, aside from the inner tie rods.

Any ideas? If it does indeed need replaced, I'm hoping to source the part online and have a local shop replace.
Best price I found was about $700 but seems it may need "programmed"? - hoping to not have to go through the dealer as I'm sure it's at least $2k :(

Thanks for any insight!

Here's a link to the sound:
https://youtu.be/D-5qw990qlM

2010 SHO - CAI, Downpipes, CR Rebuilt Turbos, LMS SIII Tune, H&R

1990 SHO - 3.2 Supercharged, all the modz

6500rpm

Make sure the tie rod cover isn't dragging again something.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

guitar333

Thanks man. Good point. I didn't get a good look when it was on the lift but it sounds like something is rubbing.
You mean the inner tie rod boot right? I'll see if I can get it in the air again, may or may not be related but something in the front right is knocking too, even over the slightest bump. Sigh, I miss having a garage/jack/tools.

cayman gt4 0 60
2010 SHO - CAI, Downpipes, CR Rebuilt Turbos, LMS SIII Tune, H&R

1990 SHO - 3.2 Supercharged, all the modz

6500rpm

Yup, one of the boots. On a lift the suspension geometry might change a little and the rub goes away, but if you look close you should see it. If it does it long enough it's going to wear a hole in the boot. It's the only thing I can think of that makes that sound, won't set a code, or change the feel of the steering.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!