• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SuperPete SHO Build record

Started by SuperPete, January 12, 2020, 09:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperPete

Here is my story.

September 10, 2019
Purchased 2014 Taurus SHO with 24K miles, completely stock, minus K&N Intake system from private party.
Car drives nice and in good shape, cash money paid in full.
I kind of already did my research and knew what I will doing doing with it, so I hit the ground running.

September 27, 2019
Rear brake was making grinding noise and looked very low i-on the inside pad and front brakes rotors was completely worked, braking from 50mi/h was something else, I did my research and decided to go with PowerStop Z23 all 4 corners.
I knew what I was doing and get it all dome in half day all by myself.
Removing old rotors was challenge, I was beating them so hard I think whole neighborhood was wondering what I was doing in the garage, anyway, got it done and they look great.
READ THE BRAKE IN instructions, I did not at the beginning and when I took car for first drive, they were making all screeching and squeaking noises, I was like, what the heck, went back home, and after reading it, I got it broken in and they started working great, love them, look great, stop great, awesome package for the money.

The look of the back the hight of it was killing me, I just did not like the look, for about a month I was debating on the H&R Springs or just cutting rear springs. After some time I decided to just cut the back by 1.5" and wait on springs, it was not about money, It's my daily driver and I don't want to have rough ride and also don't like now H&R make your rims looks like they are inside the fender, seems like rims need ether spacer to bring them out flash with fenders or new rims.
Same week I ordered new tires, my front tires were messed up, like I sad before I don't know what this guy was doing, 24K miles, brakes gone, tires a mess, anyway, I got me CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact DWS06 and are they sweet or what.
Alignment was done and they roll too nice, brake too hard, love them all the way!

October 1, 2019
Cut the back springs, it's very easy to do, ton of tutorial videos, I took it easy, did one inch first put it all together drove around for it to settle and cut another 1/2" off, looks great, love the look, and my alignment guy was able to get alignment in spec without camber bolts.
I just wish there is a way to drop front by 1/2" also without tracing springs, but ohh well, maybe some day H&R...

October 5, 2019
Ordered GearHead tune, tuner, spark plugs, 170F thermostat and 3 bar map sensor.
Got parts few days later and got to work, only took me hour to get everything in place and on the road, WOW what a difference, love it, defiantly worth every$ spent, HP gain to $$$ unbeatable.

October 19, 2019
Ordered GearHead intercooler, got it few day later and got to work that same Friday night.
Took me good 5 hours to do it by myself, got it done, it's not as bad as I was intercepting. just before swap I got updated tune from Gearhead, and that same night went for test drive. I can feel the difference, not huge but noticeable. Nice update, I am sure it will benefit more in the summer when its mid 90's and humid.

October 25, 2019
All that PTU talk was making me nervous, by now I am 25K miles and it's time for engine oil change. Few days before oil change on Saturday I got very strong propane smell as I pull in to the house, very strong smell, I know it right away...
Got under the car, changed engine oil and got to the PTU fluid change, was able to pull 12oz of very nasty thick stinky fluid, I still have it in the garage in the water bottle as reminder, once in the while I open the cap and give it a smell, ohhh my...
Anyway few days later another PTU fluid change just to get all the crap out, this time I got 14oz out but with more silver metal shavings, this time I was covered in glitter.
Smell was there every time I was driving, less but still there, when I was under the car I noticed breather hose came off of the PTU and was dumping oil on top of the put and making that smell, I pulled breather hose and came to find out the top part has filter that was completely clogged and was not letting air in or out, I removed that filter material and ran just the house.

November 24, 2019
Going to work, started car, pulled out of garage, driving down the road 5mi/h, all of a sudden I hear gear crashing noise, grind, I know it, PTU gave up, I turned around and slowly drove home, was only 1/2 mi away.
pulled back in to garage.
Called around, no shop in my area ether had experience with swapping PTU or too busy to do it. Called local ford dealer, they quoted me $1800 for the job, I had no choice, dropped the car same day, picked up 2 days later, they had to order the PTU...
I also asked them if they can crack my old PTU for me to check out the damage and take pictures for my record, they wanted to charge me hour of labor to do it, LOL, but they offered me to take it home at no charge, so I took it
Brought car back home on 27th, drove nice, no issues, dealer also had 2 year warranty on PTU they installed, unlimited milage.
First thing I did when I got home is opened my old PTU, what a mess, it was all gunned up, come on 26K on the car and it looked like $hit on inside and one bearing was completely destroyed, in phases all over the PTU, WOW. I still have the PTU, I will look little more in to it during summer.
Anyway, moving on.

December 3, 2019
Got a box, long waited 2 months wait) PPE Catted downpipes, WOW, thats all I can say, what a quality parts. I never had anything too well build and I am glad I went with PPE, highly recommended!!!
Don't forget to order yourself pipe clamp, longer pipe is made from two leases and PPE don't provide clamp to clamp them together.
Also got me heather wrap to wrap cat part of the pipe to prevent heat from cooking my bran new PTU :)
Same time I ordered DiCunzolo  GEN2 trans mounts to do it all at once.

December 14, 2019
My friend lets me use his shop lift and tools to install pipes and trans mounts.
Got there, got straight to work, I did not spray turbo/downpipe bolts with oil, you would, so I started braking them bolts, front pipe came out ok, was hard to brake but nuts came out ok, back was problem on it's own, two of the studs came out of the turbo housings and got stripped thread on the way out, ohh boy, its no problem you want to face on Friday 9PM, LOL
on the PPE pipes install old studs did not want to go back in, we found same kind of studs size and they did not want to go in ether because of the screws up threads on turbo housing, well we ended up putting smaller bolts straight trough and locking them with nut on the back, that was only way to get this fixed at list at that time and place.
Pipes went in fine, mounts got swapped time to test.
TELL YOU what, when I started the car I did not know what was making too much noise pipes or mounts, I did read about mounts needing some brake in but ohh boy, it's like I had metal chair welded straight to the engine, I felt everything and it resonated trough out the car frame, anyway, I drove home and I was not able to even figure out of I gained anything power from the downpipes, that vibration and noise was way too overwhelming.
4 days later and 250 miles, mounts broke in a little and got allot better but still, worst part is driving 1500RPM on the freeway and they make this low level vibration noise.
Lets say this, they are not bad product, they are great for someone but it was not my cup of tee.
I got them out, took me 15 min to put stock mounts back and finally concentrate on downpipes gain.
Let me say this, I can feel turbo spool up faster, feels creeper throttle response, I can't say I gain lots of power but maybe because of the time of getting used of the mounts, I got used of the power, hard to say, But I am sure that they do benefit overall picture for sure, 100%

Holidays are over and it's time to look in to next step.

January 10, 2019
E30 or Meth, that is the question on my mind. I been thinking about it for last month as my next step, and here is where I am coming from. We only have one station for E85 in my town, about 7 miles away, few more in nearby town, I am in PA in the corn land where amish are, we don't have all high-tech and electric car charges at any store, so if I go E30 and I run out of gas, chances of me finding E85 station are slim.
Next option is Meth, then I am not big fan of straying stuff in my engine and there is chance of fail and messing engine up, and still dealing with refilling and install and all this and that.
SO E30 sounds simpler to me, just fill and go VS install, chance of hardware issues...

I sent my logs to Matt at GearHead, for him to see if I am capable of E30 without upgrading pump, same time still deciding what rout to take, thats where I am at as of right now.

Once I get my next milestone, I will dyne and report back.

Will post pictures later.

Boy that was allot of typing, I need to go take a break, my wife was asking me if I am writing a book there, LOL

I will keep updating this and adding more tuff to it later.

2014 SHO, GearHead TUNNED /Powered by Matt Robinson
PPE Downpipes, GearHead Intercooler, AirAid Intake
XDI-35 HPFP @ E40,   MSD Coilpacks
MUSTANG DYNO: 426/446
Continental Extreme Contact 06 & Powerstop Z23 all 4 corners

4sfed

Wow!  Jumping right in!  Excellent choices.

...you're gonna love the GH E30 tune.  :)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2015 SHO, GH E30 tune, GH intercooler, 3 bar, SP542's, PPE Cat'd DP's, XDI-35, H&R springs, AD Gen2 mounts
Factory Five Mark III, 2004 Mach I donor (gone)
2003 Mustang Cobra 'vert, 456 rwhp, with mods (gone)
2002 MB C32 AMG (gone)
1997 Cobra 'vert, Vortech'd (gone)

SHOdded

That was a good book :D  Keep up the journaling!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ridered74

Don't let the lack of E85 availability deter you. Similar to going from stock to tuned, going to E30 is an extremely noticeable difference. Wish I would have done it sooner.

I sometimes would have trouble finding E85 when I went to tracks that were a couple hours drive from me, I would just fill it with 93 octane and switch my tune over at the gas station. Just don't do it while you are sitting at the pump.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SuperPete

Quote from: ridered74 on January 13, 2020, 01:23:54 AM
Don't let the lack of E85 availability deter you. Similar to going from stock to tuned, going to E30 is an extremely noticeable difference. Wish I would have done it sooner.

I sometimes would have trouble finding E85 when I went to tracks that were a couple hours drive from me, I would just fill it with 93 octane and switch my tune over at the gas station. Just don't do it while you are sitting at the pump.

Yes, that's what I am leaning to. Was on the phone with GearHead multiple times asking questions back and forth.
Now just waiting on them to review my logs and tell me if I can tun on my stock pump or cash out another $1600, but definitely its the next step.

After that, don't know

Coils maybe, keep reading on coils, just don't know if there is any gain behind them.

SuperPete

To all of you out there who did not change the PTU oil, PLEASE DO.
It happened to me at 24K.

Now for my future maintenance schedule:

Engine Oil Change, every 5K
PTU Oil Change, every 10K
Transmission fluid change, every 10K
K&N Filter cleaning every oil change

802SHO

9whp on the coils, test included sp542 plugs at .028

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

ridered74

My idle went from erratic to smooth as silk putting the MSD coils on. I like them so much I have an entire spare set of them. It's one of my favorite mods.....along with my other 10 favorite mods.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SM105K

Quote from: ridered74 on January 13, 2020, 09:40:07 PM
My idle went from erratic to smooth as silk putting the MSD coils on. I like them so much I have an entire spare set of them. It's one of my favorite mods.....along with my other 10 favorite mods.

My idle is alot smoother and the higher rpm range feels stronger. I will throw my car on the dyno soon to see if we picked up any more power.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

bpd1151

Funny to see the comments posted here (all positive in nature thus far) because much like the DW Injectors, a certain vendor I used to be affiliated with, advocated against using the MSD Coils, also claiming that they were/are "junk".

Nice to see that that doesn't appear to be the case. I know my own experiences using them, resulted in similar, positive, sentiments as have been expressed thus far.

Looking forward to seeing your results on paper there SM105.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SuperPete

SuperPete

TopherSho

I had really good initial results with the MSD coils.  It idled better right away and was smoother.   But as the weeks rolled on now it seems as rough and hiccupy as it was before.   I do have .028 gapped plugs so there is a chance it ate the tips off with another 5000-6000 volts .. dunno
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SuperPete

Can you check your plugs and confirm? just a few front plugs, should be quick and easy

SuperPete

Quick update:
January 27, 2020

Decided to go with E30 option.
Talked to Gearhead multiple time over last few weeks back and forth, sales team telling me there is no difference if you go e30 on stock pump or the XDI-35 pump, I even have that in e-mail stating that and then Matt tells me that there is definitely difference between stock and XDI, so I decided to test it myself.

Ordered E30 upgrade on stock pump, loaded tune, got me ethanol sensor and bluetooth Fuel-IT transmitter, got me some good E30 mix and I was on the dot with the mix, E30. Highly recommend using phone app "e85Cal", very nice and accurate tool, to get fuel level%, you can get that from your SCT scanner.
Anyway, boy, what a difference, very strong 1 and 2nd gears, very strong comparing to what I had before, recorded a log and sent it to Matt, he replied right away, numbers are very good and car feels great!
I am happy,

Now, I am getting XDI-35 pump, should be here with in a week, installing and I will report back, Matt estimates another 40HP on new pump and E40 and then I will run out of my turbos, LOL

So check back in a week, and once I get pump, I will go get dyno, will make video and post it here
Can't wait