• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Anyone know what the MSD coils put out versus the OEMS?

Started by TopherSho, January 10, 2020, 05:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

There is seldom info available,especially on electrical components on Ford oem-parts AFAIK!

Here is a good article on the Msd ignition coils when compared to the stock (COP) with Dyno results! I hope this helps any. Z

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-msd-performance-coil-packs-for-ford-ecoboost-engines/

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

I have the documents somewhere, but it's a small difference... like 7-8% more energy...

But it's enough to help with spark blow out... specifically at the higher RPMs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TopherSho

TY sir,  I was hoping for a tiny bit more .. i'd like to test gapping only to .029 and see if the tips last any longer with better coils.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

FiveLeeter918

Currently running 0.028" gapped NGK Rutheniums on my car with the MSDs and they're performing great, no noticeable difference from the stock coils with plugs at 0.026"
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

StinkinLinkin13

Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

ridered74

After I let a garbage mechanic replace my injectors, I took it to the track and ran the same times I normally run. The following weekend I changed my plugs and was shocked to find one of them gapped at .014, overall I'm pretty impressed with the MSD coils.
Gearhead E30 tune, Gearhead intercooler, LMS firestorm hpfp, catted downpipes, corsa catback, 160 degree thermostat, 3 bar map, upgraded AD trans mounts, MSD coils, Nitto 555R drag tires on front, AR924 wheels and BFG sport comp 2 summer tires on rear, and an EPP intake.

12.2479 @ 118.05 fastest trap
11.591 @ 114.89   fastest ET

SM105K

I am really impressed with them as well.  I keep my stock coils in the trunk just in case.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

802SHO

Quote from: SM105K on February 19, 2020, 08:32:11 AM
I am really impressed with them as well.  I keep my stock coils in the trunk just in case.

I haven't installed mine yet but I've heard so many good reviews I can't wait.  Plus that GearHead dyno test with them speaks for itself.
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

FiveLeeter918

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on February 18, 2020, 09:57:28 PM
Who's got the best deal on these for 13+?

There is a guy on SHOForum that works for MSD that offers employee pricing

Even being a dealer myself, a loophole I found a while back (since I get crappy pricing) is to go to CJ Pony Parts and pick them up, then use coupon code CJSOCIAL6 for an additional 6% off.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/msd-coil-pack-red-set-3-5l-ecoboost-f-150-2011-2014/p/COILP35/
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

StinkinLinkin13

Idk. I'm really on the fence about these... They have mixed reviews and QC seems to be the primary issue. Failing after a year or sooner. The OEM Denso coils don't cost much more either. 🤔 The oems still perform great @ 50k+ miles. Gonna do plugs again and was considering this upgrade/under hood eye candy.
Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -

StealBlueSho

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on February 21, 2020, 11:18:30 PM
Idk. I'm really on the fence about these... They have mixed reviews and QC seems to be the primary issue. Failing after a year or sooner. The OEM Denso coils don't cost much more either. The oems still perform great @ 50k+ miles. Gonna do plugs again and was considering this upgrade/under hood eye candy.

Mine seem to be going strong... a bit over a year at this point with several dynos, several days at the track, and a lot of data logging.

I did notice a smoother overall pull through the RPMs and smooth idle.

I gap my sp-542's at .026 as per Matt's recommendation.

StinkinLinkin13

Just an interesting continuation... I did elect to stay oem denso and here's a great "chance" example of why. Disappointed in MSD.

https://youtu.be/KZcb4pvk8Iw

StealBlueSho

Quote from: StinkinLinkin13 on June 10, 2020, 09:35:53 PM
Just an interesting continuation... I did elect to stay oem denso and here's a great "chance" example of why. Disappointed in MSD.

https://youtu.be/KZcb4pvk8Iw
Interesting that across all cylinders the graph was much smoother with OEM vs MSD...

StinkinLinkin13

Yes. The consistency across all cylinders improved immediately.