• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO Suspension Work

Started by Sbouvia, January 05, 2020, 10:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sbouvia

SHO is getting up there in mileage (110,000) and starting to get a little clunky on bumps. So it think it's time to start looking into replacing suspension parts. Is it worth it to replace the strut and spring at the same time? I want to stay OEM and keep the original ride so would just be going back with stock parts. It seems to me the strut only needs to be replaced, but that means having to use a spring compressor to swap struts, correct? I think I have the correct part number for my SHO for the front starts but will be calling Ford dealer nearby to make sure. I could not find fully loaded strut assembly for my SHO, any thoughts?
Strut Part numbers I think are correct are:
DG1Z-18124U (Strut left w/o performance package)
DG1Z-18124W (Strut right w/o performance package)

Also based on the shop manual there are a lot of fasteners to be discarded and put in as new. The one that I am having issues finding is the wheel hub bolt. Per the manual it is part number W705967, but when I look this up it says it does not fit my vehicle on the ford site.

Another other suspension items that are worth doing at the same time?
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.
1991 F Super Duty 2.5 ton dump truck w/ 7.3IDI

6500rpm

The dealer should be able to supply you with whatever part numbers you need, I just rotated my tires and the tags on the struts are still intact. Make sure you replace the turn plate bearings when you replace your front struts.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHOdded

Struts and mounts should always be replaced at the same time for best performance.

Find a local shop that will disassemble and reassemble them for you, if you are comfortable doing the rest of it.  Basically, as shown in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwmv-UiAeQs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwmv-UiAeQs
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

If you want to retain the original quality ride then the part numbers applicable to your 2013MY can be found below. Z

13+NON-PP SHO Front Struts Part numbers...

MOTORCRAFT AST12329 -AST12250, DG1Z18124E, DG1Z18124Y
Front Left; w/ Painted Calipers

MOTORCRAFT AST12328 -AST12251, DG1Z18124F, DG1Z18124X Front Right; w/ Painted Calipers..

13+NON-PP REAR SHOCKS DG1Z18125C

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Vin=1FAHP2KT2DG150017&Filter=()&SubCategoryUrl=front-suspension-struts-and-springs&Diagram=&PartNumbers=

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Sbouvia

Quote from: 6500rpm on January 05, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
The dealer should be able to supply you with whatever part numbers you need, I just rotated my tires and the tags on the struts are still intact. Make sure you replace the turn plate bearings when you replace your front struts.

Do you have a part number for what your talking about? Sorry responding so late, it's been a hell of a week.
~Scott
2013 SHO non-pp. Powerstop Top Cop kit rotors and stock Akebono Ceramic Pads, 3bar map sensor, 93 octane 3bar AJPTurbo tuned, but not dialed in.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ (Jane) w/ 2.5" lift, Banks torque tubes, monster exhaust and intake.

SHOdded

I believe he is referring to the strut mounts.  No sense in replacing struts and not the mounts.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Sbouvia

Is the link you posted pretty much everything to do the front struts? I assume replacing bolts not a terrible idea. Any idea why the drivers side is $20 more?
~Scott

ZSHO

Quote from: Sbouvia on January 12, 2020, 10:09:40 PM
Is the link you posted pretty much everything to do the front struts? I assume replacing bolts not a terrible idea. Any idea why the drivers side is $20 more?
www.rockauto.com has both sides listed for  $74.79
There is also a Promo-code located on Top of the forum home page kindly provided by SHOdded. Z  :)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,suspension,strut,7584

Sbouvia

~Scott

ZSHO

I just confirmed with the parts dept and Part #: AD1147 (18183) should fit your vehicle.  Z  :)

[Strut mount bracket] $28.79-ea

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2013,taurus,3.5l+v6+turbocharged,1503823,suspension,strut+mount,7600

Sbouvia

Z you are the man. Quick question. In a thread above you put a link to a bunch of parts on ford parts giant. Are the nuts and bolts listed all that will be needed to complete the job? Also in your opinion will I need the cover? I have included screen shots of the questions.
~Scott

Sbouvia

Oh and I suppose I can ask this on the same thread. I also plan on doing the rear shocks. Should I replace all the parts highlighted in the picture attached? I assume the springs are fine to reuse unless broken as I want to keep stock ride.
~Scott

ZSHO

I would order new bolts and Pad rubber (anti-sqeak) for a peace of mind,especially with all the rust and corrossion buildup over the years,especially if original...

It will also help with any creaking noises throughout the suspension component's.  Z

[Rear suspension]

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Vin=1FAHP2KT2DG150017&Filter=()&SubCategoryUrl=rear-springs-and-shock-absorbers&Diagram=&PartNumbers=

Sbouvia

One final question. I think the manual says I need a new nut for the axle shaft/hub nut after installing the new strut, is this correct? If so when I look up the part number in the manual it says not for your car. W705967 is the wheel hub nut noted in the manual. Under section 204-01 page 3063 numbers 12 and 13 it says to tighten the axle with the old nut then remove it and place the new nut on and torque to 258lb-ft. I may have to borrow my father in laws 3/4" torque wrench for that one.
~Scott