• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

P0442 Code

Started by SHO-Pa, December 23, 2019, 03:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHO-Pa

Hi All

Its been a little while. My 11 non-PP SHO surprised me the other day by throwing a temper tantrum of sorts by giving me the P0442 code. I guess it wanted some attention.

It comes up as a small EVAP Canister Leak. In researching this, it doesn't look like any other issues are present (smooth idle, runs normal). You wouldn't know it has an issue unless you saw the CEL. According to the "all-knowing" interwebs, this can be caused by the gas "cap" flapper thingy so I gave that a good cleaning (like Ford TechMakuloco shows), cleared the code, and the code has returned after about a week of driving.

From what I have seen, the next likely culprit is EVAP canister valve solenoid. This is where it gets complicated. Again, according to the "all-knowing interwebs", there are conflicting part numbers.

Does anyone have the correct part number for the EVAP valve solenoid or have any experience on this particular issue.
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

ZSHO

The part numbers can be conflicting at times especially with part Supersession... 
I would highly suggest to post a PIC of the actual Purge Solenoid pertaining to your 2011MY! Here is my own dedicated thread below. Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7133.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

6500rpm

Vent solenoid and capless filler are the two biggest culprits usually. I've also seen things bounce up and hit the canister and crack it. If you replace the vent valve and it doesn't fix it, if you can find a shop to smoke test the evap system, it's the quick and easy way to pin point evap leaks.
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

SHO-Pa

Quote from: ZSHO on December 23, 2019, 04:26:11 PM
The part numbers can be conflicting at times especially with part Supersession... 
I would highly suggest to post a PIC of the actual Purge Solenoid pertaining to your 2011MY! Here is my own dedicated thread below. Z

Thanks ZSHO! Those were the posts I was looking for. I have the part ordered so hopefully that will solve the issue. Oddly enough, I don't have a rough idle or any other symptoms. If it wasn't for the CEL, I wouldn't know anything was wrong.
2011 SHO - stock
2016 Explorer XLT 2.3L "4wd"
2018 Focus Titanium

ZSHO

Quote from: SHO-Pa on December 27, 2019, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on December 23, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Thanks ZSHO! Those were the posts I was looking for. I have the part ordered so hopefully that will solve the issue. Oddly enough, I don't have a rough idle or any other symptoms. If it wasn't for the CEL, I wouldn't know anything was wrong.
NP! It's relatively a cheap fix especially of a part that plays a significant role of the Evap/Emissions system...
Best of luck and keep us updated on all counts. Z  :)

Common Symptoms of a Bad Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid:
Engine misfire or poor engine performance
Noticeable fuel odor
Premature wear of spark plugs or damaged engine gaskets
The Check Engine Light is illuminated

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|