• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Engine ticking & P0016 SEE VIDEOS

Started by jblauvelt02, December 29, 2019, 05:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jblauvelt02

Hi everyone. It looks like my SHO is in trouble. It's a 2014 with about 70k on it. It's got some ticking in the motor which can only be heard when hood is open. See video.

https://youtu.be/gCgO5-OqgLU

It also has a strange behaviour when accelerating on occasion. See video

https://youtu.be/XKChxw03tvo

Its also throwing the classic p0016. On a scale from one to pegged, how screwed am I? Any idea what it could be or the cost

ZSHO

The code P0016 can be due to the camshaft sensor for Rear (Bank 1) having an internal intermittent issue,then suspect a failing camshaft sensor.
Have you tried changing your Motor oil! What type of oil and filter @ what intervals!
I'm hoping its something simple as a loose pin harness or corrossion, chaffered pigtail wiring. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

P0016 is infamous for timing chain/water pump issues.  But you can check the VCT solenoid wiring loom and cam sensors first. :(
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jblauvelt02

Quote from: ZSHO on December 29, 2019, 06:39:29 PM
The code P0016 can be due to the camshaft sensor for Rear (Bank 1) having an internal intermittent issue,then suspect a failing camshaft sensor.
Have you tried changing your Motor oil! What type of oil and filter @ what intervals!
I'm hoping its something simple as a loose pin harness or corrossion, chaffered pigtail wiring. Z

I do the recommended oil and filter, but when the warning light comes on. I replaced the camshaft sensors and it didn't change anything

jblauvelt02

Quote from: SHOdded on December 29, 2019, 07:14:46 PM
P0016 is infamous for timing chain/water pump issues.  But you can check the VCT solenoid wiring loom and cam sensors first. :(

Where is the solenoid wiring loom? That could cause ticking?

SHOdded

If the ticking is rhythmic, that is usually fuel injectors, since this is basically diesel technology.

Otherwise it can be any number of things.

The VCT solenoids are on top of the valve covers on the belt side.  Can't miss 'em.  See if any pins are loose in the connector there.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

That ticking is not normal...it sounds like a heavy thumping coming through the speakers....

Does it follow RPMs?

So the P0016 issue is common... I had it on my 2010 right before the motor took a dump...

Usually it's a stretched timing chain though.

I would take it it to a dealer.. you can always drain the oil and check for metal. Also cut open the oil filter for the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSS

That second video concerns me a lot more than the first video.  I would listen to StealBlue.....
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

TopherSho

Quote from: jblauvelt02 on December 29, 2019, 05:24:55 PM
Hi everyone. It looks like my SHO is in trouble. It's a 2014 with about 70k on it. It's got some ticking in the motor which can only be heard when hood is open. See video.

https://youtu.be/gCgO5-OqgLU

It also has a strange behaviour when accelerating on occasion. See video

https://youtu.be/XKChxw03tvo

Its also throwing the classic p0016. On a scale from one to pegged, how screwed am I? Any idea what it could be or the cost

Call me nuts .. but video 2 sounds like a boost control issue.. resulting in a noisy boost dump. 

Video 1 sounds like a very typical fuel pump noise on the front head, and the BOSCH injectors are noisy as heck and not that great imo.   rear injectors took out my motor.  but lets avoid that rabbit hole for now, onto the code

As for the crank sensor... they go out .. its a thing.. id **stop driving it** until fixed.   

*Then* work backwards on the boost issue. (boost solenoid hoses, hoses to the turbos, blow off valve testing..) (imo)

EDIT: also dont trust the handheld for code reading in this case.  Get it hooked up.. there may be other codes buried.

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

ZSHO

I would concur with Trophersho ^^ that the 2nd video could be related to a boost reference issue or wastegate hose or BOV- IMO!

I would also ask if the overall power of the vehicle decreased since having the codes set!!!
Best of luck. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

StealBlueSho

Usually the P0016 code will result in a loss of power cause it resets the OAR back to zero. This is because if the sensor is reporting out of range or not reporting, the ECU doesn't know what the timing is for that bank.

It's a way to preserve itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk