• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

CA smog & down pipes

Started by Chaplain, December 23, 2019, 11:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaplain

Does anyone make down pipes that will pass California smog?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bpd1151

I believe PPE Engineering in AZ. has previously been reported to pass.

Hopefully others will chime in, and consider contacting them directly to inquire.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

No, only OEM qualifies to pass CA smog, or CARB labeled downpipes.  PPE does not have CARB certification.  Not sure that any performance downpipe will get CARB certification ...

To clarify, PPE will pass the tailpipe tests/OBD tests, just not the visual inspection.

You can keep the OEM and swap it out when it comes time.  A lot of folks do that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I'm not quite certain if CALI will even pass a Federal emissions vehicle,so go figure. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Chaplain

Quote from: SHOdded on December 24, 2019, 08:08:37 AM
No, only OEM qualifies to pass CA smog, or CARB labeled downpipes.  PPE does not have CARB certification.  Not sure that any performance downpipe will get CARB certification ...
To clarify, PPE will pass the tailpipe tests/OBD tests, just not the visual inspection.
You can keep the OEM and swap it out when it comes time.  A lot of folks do that.

Thanks for the response.

How intense is the visual?  Guess I've only ever seen a smog guy open the hood and if nothing stood out moved onto the next item on his check list.  Unless you go looking for them, down pipes don't really stick out and I don't see a smog guy getting under the car to check.  Am I wrong on this? 
With that said I have kept my oem exhaust from the flange back to reinstall just incase my modified Magnaflow system doesn't pass.  Doing a R/R on that is much easier than R/R a pair of down pipes.

For those of you who have done a catted down pipe swap from oem.  Is there much gains to be made to make it worth the work?

SHOdded

All they do is look for a CARB certification sticker on the ... catalyst, I believe.  Otherwise they would not possibly know OEM from aftermarket, except that aftermarket is usually MUCH prettier :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

I failed smog because I had to go to a "STAR" certified shop. Who sometimes are more stringent with everything.

You only have 2 options:
1. Swap your exhaust every couple years for smog inspection
2. Find a shop that looks the other way.

Neither choice is cheap. I chose option 2. As I REFUSE to continually change exhaust for Cali and some of its STUPID crap it keeps handing down that a whole lot of people keep voting for!
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

Chaplain

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 24, 2019, 05:34:43 PM
I failed smog because I had to go to a "STAR" certified shop. Who sometimes are more stringent with everything.

You only have 2 options:
1. Swap your exhaust every couple years for smog inspection
2. Find a shop that looks the other way.

Neither choice is cheap. I chose option 2. As I REFUSE to continually change exhaust for Cali and some of its STUPID crap it keeps handing down that a whole lot of people keep voting for!

This is my first emission modified CA plated vehicle.  All my past vehicles I kept plated out of Colorado or Arizona, but I got sick of being pulled over for out of state plates (and my beautiful bride was over it). 

Dxlnt1

Try finding muffler shop. They often have someone on tap that help with Cali smog. And as stated, the fail is the visual. The emissions themselves are good and within spec.

Remember if your car has a tune on it, to put car back to stock tune and drive it 10-20 miles before inspection
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

SM105K

The PPE catted down pipes will pass the emissions test.  I highly doubt the tech doing the test will get under the car, much less pull the skid plate off to look. 

Also the PPE catted down pipes are worth every penny on the performance side as well.  They are a direct bolt in.  Keep your stock DP's and go from there.

There are various reasons why I left Dumbeffistan, this being one of them.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |