• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

DannyMack 13 MKS "Old Man" Build and Maintenance Thread

Started by Dannymack, December 23, 2019, 11:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannymack

About 3 weeks ago I picked up a 2013 MKS EB with just shy of 100K on the clock. This thread will be to track all the work, costs and additions to it as time progresses.

This build is going to be true street sleeper style. No noticeable exterior modifications unless you know what to look for. Only real exterior mods will be removing the EcoBoost badge and adding a roof rack for my mountain bikes (I'm from Colorado, what do you expect).

My goal is to get this into the low 12's within a year. Since I live outside Denver I know this is a big goal for our altitude. Thankfully I have a job where I can create more income as I need it so that should help with the goal. This car is now my DD so all mods will be for long term use and not quick jumps of power.

I'll post here any time work is done on the MKS. Pics will be posted soon.
2013 MKS EcoBoost Fully Loaded
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

Dannymack

1st update.

Within a day or two of purchasing the MKS I noticed an annoying clunk from the suspension while driving over fairly normal road cracks. Figured I would have the dealer look at it and take a look at the rest of the car while they're at it. Dropped it off just about a week ago and got a call later that day. Suspension problem was the sway bar links. Simple enough fix for me to do myself. They also said it needed new spark plugs, rear brake pads, a shaft seal and... a water pump, ugh. Well I know what happens when the pumps go out so I told them go ahead and do the pump and seal. I'll take care of the rest.

Got the car back today. All in for $3200. They replaced the water pump, all the timing chain parts, new gaskets due to disassembly, new coolant, new tranny fluid, new oil and the shaft seal. Not an cheap job, but I have good piece of mind now moving forward.

Also during the past week ordered new 534 plugs, front sway links and a new air filter from Rockauto. Also ordered some EBC Yellow pads. Got the fronts off Amazon for a steal at $52. Rears I had to pay full price at $109.

Immediately after getting the car back from the dealer I brought it home to get to work. Sway links were not too bad, just tedious. Front pads and air filter went fine. I forgot to look if the rear calipers were the twist type so had to put the rear back together and got a tool this evening for those. Took it out for a romp to break them in. Much more bite than before. Did realize half way through the drive though that my dumb ass forgot to put the brake reservoir cap back on so have to go find a new one tomorrow. Either way, brakes work great, suspension clunk is gone.

Later this week the plugs will go in, PTU fluid and RDU fluid will get swapped out and some fresh all season tires will go on. My Dragy unit should show up tomorrow as well.

Also ordered an SCT X4 from Brad (AJP) which should show up in a couple days as well as a 3 bar map. Once the car is back to a good baseline in terms of maintenance I'll do some base runs with the Dragy before throwing in the tune.
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

bpd1151

Great update! Glad to see the maintenance stuff has been handled, and it would appear your well on your way to the fun things next!

Look'n forward to your experiences with the latter. Keep keeping the community updated!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Plugs nowadays the SP542 seems to be the way to go, but your tuner can best guide you on that.

Great to see weak points addressed.

If your road conditions permit, you can consider H&Rs, coilovers, and mounts to get the suspension where it should be for a hip(p)o ride :D
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dannymack

Quote from: SHOdded on December 24, 2019, 08:12:26 AM
Plugs nowadays the SP542 seems to be the way to go, but your tuner can best guide you on that.

Great to see weak points addressed.

If your road conditions permit, you can consider H&Rs, coilovers, and mounts to get the suspension where it should be for a hip(p)o ride :D

Yeah I'll use whatever plugs he recommends.

I've considered suspension mods, but half mind the suspension it has. Not nearly raked like the SHO and here with the snow having some more space in the wheel wells can be useful. Played with the different suspension setting last night on the drive and can now tell between the modes. I have it set for comfort in drive and sport in sport. Comfort you can still feel the dramatic cracks in the road, but as far as larger humps it floats and bounces a bit as if the struts are worn. Throw it in sport and it sucks itself right back to the road.
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

Dannymack

AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

Dannymack

Tuner showed up as well. Now to let the update finish so I can get Brad the basics to get started.
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

802SHO

IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

Dannymack

Plugs have been swapped. Took about 40 minutes. Pic is the old ones.

Opened the SCT and started to run the updates for the device and those failed so I've got some digging later this week to get those figured out so I can actually use it.
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

PDSHO

2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

Dannymack

It's a performance tracker like the vBox. You can monitor 0-30, 0-60, 1/4, 1/2 and other metrics.
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

PDSHO

I'm guessing more accurate than "seat of the pants" methods! Does it use GPS? Accelerometer? Does it plug into your car computer? Your phone?

Never mind, I went to You-tube.
Looks like a fun tool.
2013 Taurus Police Interceptor. AWD, Eco-Boost. SOLD
2015 Lincoln Navigator L, 4x4, Eco-Boost.
2016 Taurus Police Interceptor, Eco-Boost
2014 Lincoln MKS Eco-Boost

Agentlongwood

Quote from: SHOdded on December 24, 2019, 08:12:26 AM
Plugs nowadays the SP542

I've looked around and I can't find what the actual heat range is for some of the plugs.  People say "one range colder than stock" but what is the stock heat range?  I haven't been able to find the actual numerical value for them.  And it looks like the SP542 has been replaced by another plug by ford... which I also can't find the actual heat range for, lol.

Also, GRATS on the MKS!  Best of luck at the drag strip in the future.  Hopefully you have better luck than I have lately.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Dannymack

Got the SCT updated finally. Had to manually download some drivers and update from the laptop. After seeing how many people have issues with the wifi updates I will likely just use the computer for further updates now.

Anyways, got the brake res cap today and did some 0-60 baseline pulls. Dragy is saying 5215 DA, but Dragtimes calc is saying 4138 so I'll go with the actual calculator.

Pull 1 - 5.62
Pull 2 - 5.80
Pull 3 - 5.48

Peaked out at just over 10.5 psi of boost.

Anxious to see how it improves once the tune is in.
AJP E40 Tuned
XDI-35
Godspeed Springs
EBC Yellow Brake Pads

802SHO

It'll be a whole new beast!  Dragy works well for performance Data, has been about 5-7 hundredths within my Drag Strip times. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20