• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Not holding power in 1st gear in the cold?

Started by TopherSho, December 03, 2019, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TopherSho

I have noticed that even when driven 30 minutes the tranny is having issues holding power in 1st gear.   I am about to check the tranny oil ... but has anyone else had this occur after being 'stable' ?

Whats everyone's go to for tranny oil ? for cold weather ?

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

FiveLeeter918

I run Mercon LV year round, but what are you considering "Cold" weather?

And when you say problems holding power, is TSC kicking in or it is popping out of gear?
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

TopherSho

Quote from: FiveLeeter918 on December 03, 2019, 11:34:07 AM
I run Mercon LV year round, but what are you considering "Cold" weather?

And when you say problems holding power, is TSC kicking in or it is popping out of gear?

feels like it is ''low on fluid'' and letting go of the gear.  i am working so i cant check right now..  the only thing i can think of is i might have to much oil,  and it is cold enough to cause it to not flow as well as it needed this summer when it was fine. 

cold btw is 22f
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

Gjkrisa

-5 and I have started to notice in full traction off and drive it seems to shift sooner but will hold longer in sport.
I haven't looked at rpms but just by feel and sound but didn't think much of it.
Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

TopherSho

Yeah,  The oil is the same spot on the stick,  and it is 30f warmer today and I am having no issues .. when the engine swap occurred I am willing to bet this is NOT the previous oil brand (castrol LV+) I had in the unit and it is reacting different than the Castrol did in the colder climates. 

I will drop 2 cups and retest..

SM105K

Quote from: TopherSho on December 03, 2019, 02:34:13 PM
Yeah,  The oil is the same spot on the stick,  and it is 30f warmer today and I am having no issues .. when the engine swap occurred I am willing to bet this is NOT the previous oil brand (castrol LV+) I had in the unit and it is reacting different than the Castrol did in the colder climates. 

I will drop 2 cups and retest..

Why wasn't Ford Mercon LV put in the car? 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

TopherSho

It is a guess on my part that the mechanic used some other LV+ compatible brand .. Ideally I should drop in Redline .. maybe i will spring for it this time.

FiveLeeter918

be an easy and relatively inexpensive check. That's assuming they even used an LV at all.
- Lee
Technical Sales, Ortiz Tuning and Performance
F-150, Mustang, Lincoln MKS, Taurus SHO and Ford Flex Tuning

Ortiz Performance Vendor Forum | Find us on Facebook! | Shop Today!

TopherSho

dropped half a quart out and its better,  still happens when the steering wheel is turned more than 10 degrees or so... tested with the hand held and am seeing Torque source 2 and 15. 

It is frustrating a bit that in the summer i did not see this issue... I pinged BRAD / AJPturbo to see what he thinks.   in the mean time has anyone else seen colder temps trigger Torque source 2 and 15 more frequently ?

SHOdded

Hmm wonder if AdvanceTrac and EPAS are conspiring to hold you back.  Any difference in steering feel, or any pending codes?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

Did you recently change the starter! I hope the dealer did not screw up with starter/Ground ..Not quite certain if its related but some ford models have intermittent Ground issues to the Trans! Dunno. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on December 05, 2019, 06:10:46 PM
Did you recently change the starter! I hope the dealer did not screw up with starter/Ground ..Not quite certain if its related but some ford models have intermittent Ground issues to the Trans! Dunno. Z

Aw man now you are taking me back to my G35 days .. I had weird shift issues after an Orsis tune+nismo cams and a head grind until I cabled the trans ground to the frame,  and cabled the two front grounds to a 8-guage wire I soldered to the the left frame and right frame ..

Naw in this case my good man it is good old 1st gear makes to much power.   Brad is going to send me a updated tune to test.

ZSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on December 06, 2019, 11:28:23 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on December 05, 2019, 06:10:46 PM

Aw man now you are taking me back to my G35 days .. I had weird shift issues after an Orsis tune+nismo cams and a head grind until I cabled the trans ground to the frame,  and cabled the two front grounds to a 8-guage wire I soldered to the the left frame and right frame ..

Naw in this case my good man it is good old 1st gear makes to much power.   Brad is going to send me a updated tune to test.
Maybe an adjustment to Torque management! Fingers crossed. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

TopherSho

After a bump in tune revision it is much better.. still testing.  May have been old tune issues